Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Good strategies

Page: 1 of 1
 WC_heavyarms
10-16-2001, 1:55 PM
Anyone have one that is very good? Love to hear it.
 KnightlyJedi
10-16-2001, 3:32 PM
there are three main strategies that i can see which will actually be effective most of the time...they center around 3 main units as well: troopers, mechs, and turrets

1 -- a tech1 trooper rush before or around 10 minutes can be VERY deadly if the enemy is either not expecting it or will not reach tech2 fairly quickly...having tech1 troopers mowing down your tech1 workers puts a sever damper on your economy and you will NOT catch back up :) but if you put a few good walls and vision towers up to give yourself early warning and detection then your opponent will have a hard time hurting your economy...to defend this you want a quick tech2 time to build a few turrets and upgraded troopers, possibly even a few jedi

to pull off a tech1 trooper rush go heavy on early food then concentrate on carbon!! ex: first 9 droids food then go heavy carbon until you cant spend it...send 1 or 2 droids over to the enemy and build your power core and troop center near him then commence the attack :) hard to hit early enough but worth it if you do

2 -- the mech rush...harder to pull off but it will kick the living crap out of anything trooper centered :) strike mechs have an attack bonus against just about everything so they are an excellent choice to use...they cost 50 food and 100 carbon so youll need to advance to tech3 quickly (16-18 minutes) while having a few farmers and a lot of carbon gatherers to supply the resources youll be needing...also collecting early ore will help in your tech2 defense with turrets (HINT HINT, hehe) dont want to give any build orders away for this but its fairly simple if you follow the plan of what you are going for = food and carbon...create 25+ droids in tech1 and sail on to tech3 and say bye bye to trooper rushes IF you can defend them :)

3 -- turret rushing...hate this crap :) they are meant to be defensive and used to stop attacks, NOT be USED in attacks...it doesnt take that much effort to use this tactic because all it takes is early ore gathering and sending 4-6 droids to build on the enemy...YES its a risk, YES its a valid and effective strategy, YES good people use it, but COME ON......its lame, bottom line...if you ever find someone using this against you do NOT quit :) you are in some major deep crap if they get 2 or 3 turrets up before you know it so with that said, scout your area...if you find a few droids your way, go give them an R2D2 zapping and short circuit their plans :) also dont bother counter attacking too hard, concentrate on going tech3 THEN whipping them, but do send a small group to kill as many droids as you can

well...i guess thats it, hope this helps at least a little to anyone who reads...i didnt include any detailed build orders but i can if needed i suppose...main thing about build orders is gather enough food and carbon early on to advance, attack, or defend...sounds stupid and duh-like but many people dont realize it...a good droid count to go with is 24ish in tech1...know what strategy you want to perform and adjust your droid ratios accordingly
 WC_heavyarms
10-16-2001, 5:42 PM
You could just wait until tech 3, get there as fast as you can, then crush them with air units. I found I can do that, but usually and ally assists very quickly.
 AoErat
10-16-2001, 8:32 PM
TL 1 rush is not too effective in a game with more than 2 players.

Simply because it majorely hurts your economy if you rush so early, and you won't be able to catch up to the rest of the players that fast, leaving you open as an easy target.

Secondly, the enemy can just garrison and be immune to your attacks.

In a 1v1 game, the TL 1 rush would be a valid strat, however.
Page: 1 of 1