Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gaming strats, whats your style?

Page: 1 of 1
 Lord Tirion
10-16-2001, 4:30 AM
When you play, do you play defensive, offensive, or a little of both? I am curious to see how everybody's styles differ the moment the game starts and your workers are off to work. I find it amazing that almost every single player I have played against has their own unique strategy whether good or bad. I have played against many rushers as well as many people who sit back and bulk up their defense in hopes to drain your economy. I have seen people who go total air and hope to pick off your workers with early air strikes as long as people who go total mech and heavy weaponry. Which style do you play and why?
 Xirion
10-16-2001, 5:14 AM
well my style is to have the ability to defend, but my primary strategy is to attack, but leave my base with suffiecent guard, i seem to have a problem of being attacked while trying to destroy my opponenet, i aslo like to spread out, and bring the attack from different angles, i find that works
 WC_heavyarms
10-16-2001, 6:17 AM
My main Strategy is total offense. I usually have no defenses, and i am fine the way I attack. Make a shield generator near his base. Inside, make men in it. Then hit him very hard. Take down Towers first to allow more men into the base. Then hit powercores and destroy all of his troops. Then destroy his command center and then all of his military buildings. :usa: :duel:
 EMPIRESPLAYER
10-16-2001, 6:18 AM
so far a stratagy of AT-AT loaded with dark troopers and guarded by at-aa with covering support of ties... seems to work well oh and some sith thrown in for good measure.....
my only problem is it takes me ages to build all this up cus i like to have a secure as possible base b4 i launch off and attack, and that takes a while so it gives the enemy time to build up......:atat: :dtrooper: :tie: :emperor:
 porkins14
10-16-2001, 11:54 AM
"so far a stratagy of AT-AT loaded with dark troopers and guarded by at-aa with covering support of ties... seems to work well"

Thats strange, their are no ATAT's in the demo. Hmmm
 crazy_dog
10-16-2001, 12:01 PM
Hey, man, at the begginig I start building up a defencive force (ground army and defences) then quikly send half of all my forces to the enemy's base.
 Com Raven
10-16-2001, 12:22 PM
I begin defensively, and when my army is prepared and he doesn't show up, well then .....
 WC_heavyarms
10-16-2001, 2:09 PM
I must be the only all offense guy. If you hit someone, usually their partner tries to take out your forces, leaving your base fine. It gets even better if you make a forward base. Then they hit that :) doesn't even get hurt with shields.
 Merek Of Nexsis
10-16-2001, 2:47 PM
my strategy is to die......LOL... I am an overly defensive player and once my economy is up and running I churn out troops and throw up towers everywhere. Or at least that's what I try and do... I normally run out of carbon and get killed a lot.
 Lord Tirion
10-16-2001, 4:57 PM
Thats just because you play me a lot you overgrown hair ball =P
 JEDI_MASTA
10-16-2001, 5:04 PM
MY STRATEGY IS TO GET CLOSE TO THE ENEMY AND KEEP THE PRESSURE ON

MASTAS FIRST LAW BUILD TOWARD THE ENEMY
 Clefo
10-16-2001, 5:30 PM
I always set up a nice parimeter around my base with various turret types.. Then I build up a nice balance of units.. I scout out for expansion locations, then I build bases there.. THen I build units and go in for the kill
 dlayers
10-16-2001, 8:54 PM
If I'm attacked early, I'll usually go into defensive mode...I usually won't attack anyway - until I have a full force to go in with...

I have one grouping in which I haven't been stopped with yet....however, I have been stopped before I was able to build up enough.

:fett:
 Xirion
10-16-2001, 10:50 PM
lmao Merek.
a cunning plan indeed
 Destroyer Droid
10-17-2001, 6:43 AM
Well I tend to go for a 12 min 23vills Tech L2 with 2 barracks power cored outside there base. I cue 2 Mounteds in each once there built i send them in and take out the power core next to there barracks fast (Mounteds have a bonus vs buildings) so they get the job done fairly quickly. All the while im upgrading my troopers pumping vills and getting a few recruits. I raid with my mounteds and kill disrupt as much as possible. I know they will die eventually to command centre and troopers so i do as much as possible with them. When i have about 8 troopers ill move them in with the 2 forward builders and Build a tower covering as many as possible enemy resources. Now i just continue to harass and keep him garrisoned while my economy is building up. Eventually i go tech level 3 at about 28 mins cue strike mechs and upgrade my troopers or mounteds (which ever i have the most for) get a few artillery's and shell his command centre and wait for him to hit the resign button.
 ReaperFett
10-20-2001, 3:31 PM
I go defense, while building up Jedi, Bounty Hunters and Air support. have some foot men on the grond, ready to help in defense, or assist in attack. I wall off my area, and put turrets round.

Althought not good in monument. It is good in DM. Just make sure you have a shield generator near your HQ, and have a few turrets inside. That way, you can survive even if your walls are breached.

One idea I have is have the HQ, Shield Gen, power supply, turrets and a small courtyard inside. That way, I have a last place to fight. As my last men beak inside for the final attack. I also might put a shipyard in, so I could hastily make a transport, and evac some of my more choice men (Jedi Knights, hunters, Droids etc)
 Bobio
10-20-2001, 5:25 PM
My style is to build up a strong defence, and then attack. My attacks are dropping 15 pummels in the enemy base and have them attack power generators, turrets, and fortresses. Then I send in my main troops :eek:
 Destroyer Droid
10-21-2001, 8:03 AM
Gee thats a bit nasty. Ill have to look out for you :P
 Paragon_Leon
11-01-2001, 3:19 PM
i tend to play defensive, but my first ever online game (against Eets'chula) was a tie because we forgot about the Monument. I went after his workforce; he dropped pummels in my base. we both got a bit in trouble
 Dvlos
11-01-2001, 3:23 PM
It depends for me on the following, that is why scouting is so underrated and so necesary.

I also watch the scores, if my opponents have their scores under mine I know one of the following is true:

A) their economy is weaker than mine

b) their military is weaker than mine

C) we have equal military and economy units working, but he has researched less

Therefore I go on the offensive, usually scout his AA coverage and make a strike.

If we are equals, I will usually contract and do more scouting and monitoring in my immediate area for a rush. Using only one scout unit to zig zag their bases to see whats up once in a while.

In this case I try to avoid the full on assault and go into hit and fade mode, to try and slow him down hopefully allowing me to hit tech 3 first with a bigger army before he does. I may send 6-10 troops on a suicide mission at his droids. Or take out shelters to stop his production.

If my enemies score is higher than mine. It's time to be friggin genius. Obviously I'm up against eitehr A)an AoK genius super player or B) One of the best GB players around, most likely helped design the game that is why he is 1-2k points ahead of me.

Time to play very defensively, fortress will be made near my TC, walls, and barracks together to push out units in case the walls are attacked. Consider the following plans, air drops, or air raids, jedi scattered around the map to convert units as he HOPEFULLY marches towards my base through one of the 2-3 predetermined demo paths.

In any case usually when my score is suffering Ill grab the monu, or do some good tactics, or just take it up the ass and lose.. badly.

If I am playing with my partner we will pool our resources in an all out attack (he will go artillery pummels and I will go jedi air) and hit in one predestined area. Or we will take out his partner forcing him to be more defensive..

There I have said too much.
 idiot00001
11-03-2001, 10:57 AM
I build up my defenses, and when I hit tech level 3 I drop in as many pummels as I can make. Then if that doesn't work drop in more pummels again, and include some bounty hunters.
 Bobio
11-03-2001, 11:40 AM
I build up my base and defences in level 2 and 3. I also put up sentry towers to watch my borders. Then I build up an army. Attacks are usually dropping 15 pummle in the base, then sending in my other units the normal way by ground :eek:
Page: 1 of 1