Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Post test with attachment

Page: 1 of 2
 Paragon_Leon
08-05-2001, 3:33 PM
ok, i tried to see if attachments are possible. Please note that these boards only accept gif, jpg, png, txt, zip, bmp and jpeg files.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE THAT THE MAXIMUM SIZE IS 1024 BYTES ~! That's about 1K, people... I think that's actually a bit too little. I'll post Chris about it; see if he can fix it. This is probably why no-one can post attachments.

oh, and make sure to virus-scan your files.. boards are more often than not a distribution ground for some ugly viruses.

If i can do it, i'll include a .gif file of Lobot from ESB as a test. Whoever wants to use him as an avatar is free to do so...

btw: you can attach messages by making new threads (or replying) and looking at the bottom of the page...
 darthfergie
08-05-2001, 3:36 PM
Where is the icon for attachments?:confused:
 Paragon_Leon
08-05-2001, 3:40 PM
You'll see an option for attachments below your message-window, once you've clicked on 'new thread' at least.. then you'll have to select a file from your computer to attach. in the same way you create your avatar..

file-size seems too small to enable posting attachments yet though.. we'll see if it can be fixed.
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 3:43 PM
Hey Leon, can you look into being able to upload .ico files for an avatar? BTW Thanks for seeing if you can get more space for attachments!
 darthfergie
08-05-2001, 3:44 PM
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

If you notice that is at the bottom of my reply page.:confused:
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

If you notice that is at the bottom of my reply page.:confused:
I think he is looking in to getting attachments enabled.
 darthfergie
08-05-2001, 3:49 PM
Strange how the Mods get attachments, but we the people of the GB forums do not hold that sacred right to post attachmens... Oh sorry I kind of lost it there:D
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 3:56 PM
We are going to be able to post attachments sometime soon too, right?!
 darthfergie
08-05-2001, 4:02 PM
No they are going to keep the POWER to themselves. POWER is what they want. POWER...:D
Seriously... I think so. I saw the Developer page and they said they would work on it so...
 Paragon_Leon
08-05-2001, 4:04 PM
Oh, i'd go for power any day.. :D
kidding, fergie..

Yeah, looks like we can post attachments, but even then it's no good.

Kvan: i doubt that type of file will be possible. Or you could zip it; that works in any case.
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 4:09 PM
Originally posted by Paragon_Leon
Oh, i'd go for power any day.. :D
kidding, fergie..

Yeah, looks like we can post attachments, but even then it's no good.

Kvan: i doubt that type of file will be possible. Or you could zip it; that works in any case.
? How would zipping help it? It's still an .ico file.
 Paragon_Leon
08-05-2001, 4:12 PM
No, if you'd open a new archive in Winzip and put the ico file in it, you get a .zip file that's smaller than your ico file.
That's how zip basically works, right ? :)
 Tie Guy
08-05-2001, 4:15 PM
Right, but these forums can read ico pictures to put on your avatar. Its not a problem of making it smaller, its the problem of stealing the picture, and leaving the rest of the icon behind, this board can't do that, as far as i know.
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 4:24 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
Right, but these forums can read ico pictures to put on your avatar. Its not a problem of making it smaller, its the problem of stealing the picture, and leaving the rest of the icon behind, this board can't do that, as far as i know.
You mean "Can't" right?
Anyway, thats exactly my problem. The boards can't read it. zipping will just make it smaller in size.
 Paragon_Leon
08-05-2001, 4:26 PM
Then you might want to ask Chrisc3po if the boards can be 'upgraded' to accept those kinds of files as well..
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 4:32 PM
Originally posted by Paragon_Leon
Then you might want to ask Chrisc3po if the boards can be 'upgraded' to accept those kinds of files as well..
Isn't that what your here for? ;)
Anyway, Chrisc3po has probably heard enough from me, so I'll let it go.
 Young David
08-05-2001, 4:46 PM
Funny how just today someone asked me someone about making *.ico files ... let me tell you a secret:

An *.ico is bitmap with another extension.

And since bitmaps are accepted ... just rename it to *.bmp
 Tie Guy
08-05-2001, 4:46 PM
Originally posted by Kvan

Isn't that what your here for? ;)
Anyway, Chrisc3po has probably heard enough from me, so I'll let it go.

What do you mean by that?

Anyways, i don't know if you even can accept that type of file, or at least not easily. Your best off finding it on the web and posting the url to it. However, don't neccessarily take my word for it. ChrisC3PO may have a trick or two up his sleeve. You might as well ask, right?
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 4:49 PM

What do you mean by that?

Anyways, i don't know if you even can accept that type of file, or at least not easily. Your best off finding it on the web and posting the url to it. However, don't neccessarily take my word for it. ChrisC3PO may have a trick or two up his sleeve. You might as well ask, right?
The first comment was to Leon.
Thanks YD, I'll try and rename it!
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 5:37 PM
Hey YD (young david) I tried renaming it but it won't open now. Any other suggestions?
 Young David
08-05-2001, 5:52 PM
hmmm ... maybe it's another kind of ico. I know how to make them and that's from a bitmap ...

another way is to make a screendump with F12, open a image-editing program and cut the icon out. After that you can save it in any format you like ...

If that won't work email it to me a gkonings@bigfoot.com
 Tie Guy
08-05-2001, 6:14 PM
Whoops, wrong quote. :D

Anyways, The problem with that is that they can have the shortcut arrow thingy on them.

Oh wait, nevermind, i forgot you could just change your say..."My Documents" icon and then cut that out.
 Young David
08-05-2001, 6:31 PM
Aha ... the shortcut icon. Now were getting somewhere. Ya see, shortcut icons are not on icons, they're on shortcuts.

A shortcut links to 2 files:
- The program or document it opens
- The icon it represents

Find out what the location of that icon is and that's the file you need.
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 6:35 PM
Originally posted by Young David
Aha ... the shortcut icon. Now were getting somewhere. Ya see, shortcut icons are not on icons, they're on shortcuts.

A shortcut links to 2 files:
- The program or document it opens
- The icon it represents

Find out what the location of that icon is and that's the file you need.
Fortunatly I know what a shortcut is, unlike some *ahem*tie*ahem*. Unfortunatly I tried the copy paste suggestion a while ago and it just doesn't look the same.
 Young David
08-05-2001, 6:43 PM
hmm ... e-mail it to me and I'll see what I can do then
 Avarice
08-05-2001, 7:13 PM
testtttttting :freakout:
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 7:18 PM
hmm ... e-mail it to me and I'll see what I can do then
Thanks for the offer but I don't want you stealing my icon ;)
Actually I'm I kinda like the one I have.
BTW Do you mind if I call you YD?
Avarice whatever you were testing, it looks like it failed :(
 Young David
08-05-2001, 7:22 PM
 Young David
08-05-2001, 7:23 PM
Ya see ... it works, now what's the problem?
 darthfergie
08-05-2001, 7:23 PM
WHAT THE HEY!!!!!!!!??????????:eyeraise:
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 7:27 PM
Ya see ... it works, now what's the problem?
Is that from you turning an ico file into a gif?
 darthfergie
08-05-2001, 7:29 PM
now, are you attaching that? or what are you doing?:confused:
 Young David
08-05-2001, 7:30 PM
Originally posted by Kvan

Is that from you turning an ico file into a gif?

Such icons require too high a screen resolution if you have 50 of them on screen.

No ... it's about posting images .. wasn't that what the whole thing was about? ... cause I thought ... why not trying ...
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 7:32 PM

Such icons require too high a screen resolution if you have 50 of them on screen.

No ... it's about posting images .. wasn't that what the whole thing was about? ... cause I thought ... why not trying ...
Ok, soooo....how did you post the image?
 darthfergie
08-05-2001, 7:32 PM
How would you post an image? Turn Html on and then copy there or what?
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 7:38 PM
 darthfergie
08-05-2001, 7:38 PM
Crap now how did YOU do that?:confused:
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 7:41 PM
Crap now how did YOU do that?:confused:
Just use the image tag. copy and paste the addy of you pic within image tag
 darthfergie
08-05-2001, 7:42 PM
Oh I foun IT!!!!!!!!!!:joy: :joy: :joy:
 darthfergie
08-05-2001, 7:44 PM
 darthfergie
08-05-2001, 7:45 PM
Naboo Shields!!!!!:D :D :D :D
 Young David
08-05-2001, 7:45 PM
just hit the img button. Type or paste the addy in the pop-up javascript window and there ya go!
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 7:47 PM
Does anyone know if we are allowed to put images in our sigs?
 darthfergie
08-05-2001, 7:50 PM
Hmmm. I actually think I saw that somewhere...
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 8:20 PM
Hmmm. I actually think I saw that somewhere...
....so, would that be a yes?
 Tie Guy
08-05-2001, 9:28 PM
Actually, i had two icon-sized deathstars in my sig in the very beginng, but ZeroX told me to take them out and get an avatar. So i don't think they like it when you put pics in your sig.
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 9:30 PM
Actually, i had two icon-sized deathstars in my sig in the very beginng, but ZeroX told me to take them out and get an avatar. So i don't think they like it when you put pics in your sig.
That sucks! Did he/she tell you why?
 Tie Guy
08-05-2001, 10:40 PM
ZeroX is a guy (i hope:D) and he just said that they wanted to keep everything to avatars. I relplied and said i would change them, but he told me icons would be ok, but i changed it anyways. I think they just don't want huge pictures, but then it is easier to just say only avatars, and not sig pics. I've seen some pretty huge ones in my day. :D
 Kvan
08-05-2001, 10:43 PM
Not to stray off the subject but do you know the ranking? I can't find the thread with the ranking in it.
 Tie Guy
08-05-2001, 10:57 PM
You mean the thread that listed all the ranks on it. You could search for it, or you could turn the views=ed pages to like pages from the last 10 days or so, and you should find it. But why does it matter, you got something against Wampas?
Page: 1 of 2