Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Star Wars The Phantom Menace Windows 7 Problem

Page: 1 of 1
 Ibex3050
05-17-2012, 6:21 AM
Hey.

I got this problem with my old star wars game the phantom menace, this is one of the first games i ever played and i have many fine memories from it, i also replay it once a year, last time was very early 2011 back then i had windows xp. It installed and played fine without problems on xp.

Now its gone over a year since i played it and was going to try again and now i have windows 7.

So when i put in the cd( I still got the old box with the cd in pretty good shape a few scratches but nothing serious that would make it unplayable, but when i put in the cd and press "install" i get this message: http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6807/starwarsproblem.png)

After searching around on Every single forum i found, i found out that you could use virtual pc (VMware Player) and install windows xp with an old cd , and i still had my xp cd left so i installed it.

when i started the virtual pc i tried to install the game and it worked it installed witout problems, but when i started it up it was very laggy and unplayable,
So after searching a little again i found out that the virtual pc wasn't made for playing games on. well i wasn't quite happy after that but i had still got a little bit further a solution because now i had been able to install the game in the xp mode and i had the the game file on an usb.

Now i Found this "blog" http://omnicoderdotnet.blogspot.se/2011/01/windows-98.html)

i been trying to follow those steps and do the same but it wont work , i dont know if am doing anything wrong here. Now i would need some help first of all if anyone still here have this game on windows 7 and is able to play , i have seen people write that they are playing the game on windows 7 so i know it works but i dont know how.

There are a few people left on this forum and some of you must be playing with windows 7 64-bit Please help me i really wanna play this game again Please.

Maybe someone know how to do the method from the blog but still if i success with the method there were still a few people who wrote comments (if you scroll down) and they were saying they coudnt get the game to load more then 10 % and then nothing happend ?,. So Please any idea on how to be able to play the game again?.:(
 Alexrd
05-17-2012, 6:42 AM
 Ibex3050
05-17-2012, 6:54 AM
yea i know i been there but i dont really know how it works i made the reg file but dont know where to put it and what to do with it ,could you explain a little bit more in details.
 Alexrd
05-17-2012, 7:09 AM
Put the reg file on the game folder, and run the game.
 Ibex3050
05-17-2012, 7:44 AM
ok i am now able to start the game Thanks Alot for that but i get some wierd computer crash in the game , i hear a wierd sound and my whole computer freeze and i have to restart it , do you know how to fix that ?,
 Alexrd
05-17-2012, 10:54 AM
I don't know. Does it happen every time? What kind of weird sound is that?
 Ibex3050
05-17-2012, 11:23 AM
well first it starts acting a little wierd and then the sound gets stuck in a loop and the screen can also flicker a little bit then it crashes and the sound is the same as when you get a blue screen of death i think not 100% sure but yea, gonna try to lower the resolution on the desktop,
 Ibex3050
05-17-2012, 11:30 AM
now when i tried to change the in-game graphics it freezed right when i pressed apply :( ,, Is there any updates or something i might need ?,
 Alexrd
05-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Have you read the troubleshooting guide? It could be another program running in the background, or maybe some drivers... Without an error message, it's a bit difficult to figure out what is causing the trouble.
 Ibex3050
05-17-2012, 2:16 PM
i have read the troubleshooting guide now and i dont really find anything that matches my problem, and i have shut down every program including the antivirus but nothing happens,i dont really know what to look for now,do you have any idea? :(
 Ibex3050
05-17-2012, 7:29 PM
It might be something with the main menu , because if i fast press new game i can play as long as i want but when i press "esc" the whole computer freeze and the sound starts,
 Ibex3050
05-19-2012, 8:26 AM
I think i found the problem now, I reinstalled windows on my computer and started carefully install programs, i started with my graphic card, but i did not update the drivers , and when i started the game it worked, but i still get black screen/freeze with the wierd sound , but only for a few sec then it goes back to normal. but when i updated the drivers it started to crash again so do anyone know what to do now?.
 Ibex3050
05-19-2012, 1:05 PM
Ok I have solved it now, I know that the problem was the new Nvidia Drivers,

So to get it to work i only had to downgrade the drivers. and that was actually about time because i been having other problems to with the newest driver(like weird purple screen freeze,), and many other people to , there are many threads about it. Now its is playable , it works Fine in game without any problems at all but the main menu and in-game menu is a little bit weird, every time i press Esc it gets stuck like i said before ,for a couple of seconds, but i can live with that,

So if any other experience any problems and have Nividia GTX G-force 560 IT , or any other in the 500 serie downgrade from 296.10 to 285.62 and it will work, and the other problems will go away as well. Until they release a new update.:)
 Darth Darth Binks
10-23-2013, 9:07 AM
Hi, sorry for necro-ing but I had the same issue as Ibex3050, though I am using an nVidia geforce gtx 550 TI

And I managed to get it resolved WITHOUT having to roll back any drivers.
So I thought that I would post it on here since it pops up on google search if others have the same issue

HOW TO FIX
Basically go to the game folder
Open the "obi.ini" file
Set the following values
screen_width=1280
screen_height=1024
max_menu_Width=1280
max_menu_Height=1024

You can go higher, or slightly lower, but avoid 640x480, as that seems to cause the game menu to bug out the nvidia drivers and crash.
Page: 1 of 1