Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Can not Install XvT on XP serivce pack 3

Page: 1 of 1
 velcroman
05-15-2012, 12:51 AM
After inserting the CD.
The XvT instal window appears
I click to install and CD spins hard drive lights flash
the XvT Install window dissappears
the ... nothing?

Attemping to restart the install fails untill I remove the cd and then re-insert it.

Please advise.
 Wildstar
05-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Do you have 32-bit XP or 64-bit XP? In any case, you can try using the MSI installer package at http://www.markusegger.at) (you'll still need the CDs, however).
 velcroman
05-15-2012, 9:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion WILDSTAR. I have XP 32bit. I do have the original XvT discs. Starting from a fresh start I went to Control Panel and attempted to install XvT using Windows Installer. The CDrom spun up and the CDrom spun down. Had a look in taskmanager/processes nada - zip. There was no indication that setup.exe was running.

I looked at http://www.markusegger.at) there was nothing there no software and no XP MSI install package. The was an install package for Windows 3.1, I didn't consider that this would be appropriate for a Windows 95/98 programme that I would like to run on a 32 bit XP.

Any other suggestions .... pleeaasseee anyone
 Alexrd
05-16-2012, 5:43 AM
Have you tried booting Windows on safe mode, and then install it?
 Wildstar
05-16-2012, 12:40 PM
velcroman, that's referencing Windows Installer 3.1, which Windows XP (and even the later Win2K service packs) has.
 velcroman
05-16-2012, 8:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestion ALEXDR.
I was able to install XvT by altering the compatability to Windows 95. The instal worked, the programme will execute but the joystick does not work, the moust does. I have two joysticks, a Sidewinder Pro (direct connect ) and a Saitek CYBORG F.L.Y. 5 USB. Neither work when set as preferred. i can use a mouse to move about the selection screen but when it come to selecting Rebels or Empire nothing happens.

I will uninstall the game when I have time and atempt the resinstall in Safe Mode. I hate that because it screws around with the positioning of screen icon. Well if it works the it will be worth the price.
 Wildstar
05-17-2012, 12:37 PM
You may need to set your "Advanced" joystick option (where it says "Select the device you want to use with older programs") in Control Panel to the stick you want to use.
 velcroman
05-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I have already tried this see my last posting. Maybe you didn't understand when I wrote "Neither work when set as preferred."

Just to confirm the Sidewider works a treat with Xwing but the CYBORG does not.
Also, before the last attempt of installing XvT, I set "Setup.exe" Compatablity to Windows 95. It was only after doing this that I was able to instal XvT.
Page: 1 of 1