Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Questions

Page: 1 of 2
 Boba Rhett
07-27-2001, 11:59 PM
I have a few questions and wanna see if anyone can answer A few questions I have.

1. Anyone know how easily homemade levels will be distributed? Size, compatabilty, etc..

2. Is anyone interesed in the idea of an official fan made level pack much like those made for Jedi Knight at Massassi.net?
 Sherack Nhar
07-28-2001, 12:18 AM
1) Homemade levels should be running around not much long after the game's released, since they include an editor with the game... For availability, you might have noticed that we will have a section devoted to downloading Fan made campaings as soon as the game is released. As for size, well, they should be around the size of your average AoK campaign I suppose. It always depends if we'll be able to add voiceovers to our missions, which would be cool be will increase download time.

2) I'm not sure I understand... if it is fan made, how can it be official :D if you want to make a fan made level pack then go ahead, tinker around with the editor they'll ship with the game!
 Rogue15
07-28-2001, 12:23 AM
fan made level packs are always fun to play. i'm awaiting The Phantom Menace TC. i suggest Leeza's Destiny, that level pack is SWEET!!!!!
 Rogue15
07-28-2001, 7:48 AM
lol i 4got to see who the topic starter was.

I'm wondering, what will the scenario editor be like? Will we be able to place structures anywhere? I'm unfamiliar with the aok scenario editor since i've only played the demo.
 Sherack Nhar
07-28-2001, 11:59 AM
I am not familiar with it either, I'm in the same boat as you. However you can expect to have the same functionality in the GB editor that are found in the AoK editor.
 Cillo Kwi'ley
07-28-2001, 1:14 PM
I have some experience at making maps and campaigns with the AoK editor.

The AoK editor allows you to place any building, unit, special unit anywhere on the map (except in the water), a special unit being something like a Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader in GB terms. You may also start at a designated age, block some technologies to a certain player, modify alliances, block an age e.g. block imperial age (the 4th and last age) and play only with castle age (3rd age) units. Of course, it's there that you decide of the objectives of the scenario, and if something happens when you accomplish the particuliar goal(s).

The campaign editor is really simple to use, you place your scenarios in order and when you load your campaign, you play the first scenario, when (if) you win, you move on to the second and then to the third...
 Sherack Nhar
07-28-2001, 1:18 PM
Sounds good enough. If the GB editor offers as much functionality (which it will) then we will see some pretty spectacular fan made battles, especially with the promise of 200 units battling it out at the same time...
 Rogue15
07-28-2001, 6:25 PM
ah, i can see it right now. my squad of atpts taking out the trash which happens to be the naboo. 4get the naboo, a herd of banthas would be better!
 Clefo
07-28-2001, 6:53 PM
Well making campaigns is always fun, you should see the crappy Starcraft ones I have made. A nice map would be say Good VS Evil VS Aliens (Rebels and Naboo VS Empire and Trade Federation VS Wookies and Gungans) Takes you back to those days you were playing Heroes of Might and Magic.

As you can guess I have no idea what I am talking about
 ed_silvergun
07-28-2001, 7:57 PM
Does anyone know how easy it is to configure different victory conditions and stuff like that in the AoK editor?
 Tie Guy
07-28-2001, 9:22 PM
I don't personally have the game, but my friend does. I'm pretty sure he said that everything was fairly simple, but i'm not sure. Don't take my word for it.
 Evaders99
07-28-2001, 9:31 PM
AOE has a great editor ... though some times I prefer Starcraft
new campaigns for AOE are easy, I hope the same for GB
 Tie Guy
07-28-2001, 10:22 PM
Its most likely going to be very very close if not the exactly teh same as the one for AOE, except for the units some terrains of course.
 Cillo Kwi'ley
07-29-2001, 2:04 PM
Originally posted by ed_silvergun
Does anyone know how easy it is to configure different victory conditions and stuff like that in the AoK editor?

Configuring different victory conditions in AoK is very easy. You just click "Add Condition", define the type (you got a whole lot of choices, e.g. victory when you have enough ressources) and then give some precision (e.g. when you have 25 000 gold). Then, you state the effects produced (can be victory), which is done in the same way as defining a condition.
 Sherack Nhar
07-29-2001, 2:08 PM
Hey...this reminds me of XWA mission editing. It's exactly the same!

People who played around in AlliED will find it familiar, I guess. I know I will!
 Rogue15
07-29-2001, 2:13 PM
the only thing i learned to do with allied was change the default ship into the ship i wanted to fly.
 Tie Guy
07-29-2001, 3:13 PM
Hi Cillo!

What is AlliED?
 Lord JayVizIon
07-29-2001, 3:15 PM
tie,
allied as in xwing alliance
 Cillo Kwi'ley
07-29-2001, 3:20 PM
AlliED is the mission editing tool for XWA.
 Tie Guy
07-29-2001, 3:23 PM
I thought that was what it was, but i wasn't sure.
 Clefo
07-29-2001, 4:22 PM
I can do a lot in Allied, the only hard thing to learn is breifings...
 Sherack Nhar
07-29-2001, 4:31 PM
Oh yeah they're a pain in the ass :D

I never include briefings in my missions. Too much trouble for what it's worth. In GB though...

Are there briefings before missions in AoK, ala Starcraft?
 Cillo Kwi'ley
07-29-2001, 5:30 PM
No. Well, no briefings like the ones in StarCraft. You have a text-only "briefing", which will inform you of the objectives, and will also inform you of the historical background. At the end of the game, depending on whether you won or lost, you will have some text telling you the consequences.
 Young David
07-29-2001, 5:36 PM
In AoK the briefings are kinda slideshows before the game starts. You see the drawed images and the text apear on your screen and the text is read to you.

It's very a storytelling. It tells the story from the point of view of an outsider. Mostly like an diary, but other times like it's a story told in a pub.

"So you've come to hear the tale of Frederick Barbarosa. Better order us another round, huh" And than follows the tale.

It's a very creative way, altough this couldn't be done with the scenario editor. Costums scenerio's were briefed AoE style. You had one image and you could choose between 3 tabs: Briefing, History and Hints. You could also show an AVI file before that.

I think BG will do the later concerning costum scenario's ... But then again .. I could be wrong
 Tie Guy
07-29-2001, 5:59 PM
Yeah, it would hard to do voice briefings . It would be cool if you could record your own briefing with a microphone though. I guess text will have to suffice.
 Clefo
07-29-2001, 6:30 PM
Here's what happen if I made a voice breifing

Is this thing on? Ok. Ahem. You uhh take your S--- and blow stuff up.
 Tie Guy
07-29-2001, 6:48 PM
Couldn't you be a little more specific?
 Starnick10287
07-29-2001, 11:48 PM
Making scenerios in AoK is fairly simple because i've made some good maps, but it's very hard to make maps that have storylines and making triggers is fairly hard too. But it might be different in GB,who knows?
 Compa_Mighty
07-30-2001, 12:13 AM
Making AoK scenarios is fairly simple, though you might spend many hours in it. I could never do ANYTHING in the AoE one though. ;)
 Darth_Rommel
07-30-2001, 1:14 PM
AoK scenario maker confused me:o
 Tie Guy
07-30-2001, 5:05 PM
Why's that?
 Darth_Rommel
07-30-2001, 5:11 PM
Couldn't make triggers :(
 Paragon_Leon
07-31-2001, 9:56 AM
the trigger-system allows a player to let certain things happen if you do certain stuff. like, for instance, if you blow up a building, a whole new army comes out of the blue.

stuff like that.
you can make it seem like you're in the middle of a working story, so it's one of the coolest things in AOK. someone even made movies with triggers. All you had to do was watch what was happening while he provided the chat.

which reminds me: they'll probably use the same in-game chat system as well !!
 Darth_Rommel
07-31-2001, 12:04 PM
Yeah, but how do you get them to work? :(
 Tie Guy
07-31-2001, 12:09 PM
Do them correctly maybe? :D
 Darth_Rommel
07-31-2001, 12:12 PM
How do you do them correctly? :(
 Tie Guy
07-31-2001, 3:47 PM
How should i know, i don't have the game! :D
 Wedge
07-31-2001, 10:09 PM
Why would you want triggers? I just put about 200 units on each side and watch. :D Actully I've never uaed triggers at any point in editing and creating Scenarios I don't even know if they're in AoK editor.
 Darth_Rommel
08-01-2001, 9:34 AM
Ummm, thats not all to helpful :D
 Cillo Kwi'ley
08-01-2001, 4:04 PM
I'm going to explain in detail how the triggers work when GB is on the shelves because I'm not sure it's going to be done the same way as in AoK and this is not an AoK forum... and unlike some people on this forum, I try not to go off topic.
 Kvan
08-01-2001, 4:11 PM
Originally posted by Cillo Kwi'ley
I'm going to explain in detail how the triggers work when GB is on the shelves because I'm not sure it's going to be done the same way as in AoK and this is not an AoK forum... and unlike some people on this forum, I try not to go off topic.
Ok, explain...
And as to your remark about people going off topic, it's really easy to when there is no game out yet to talk about. I'm sure when it comes out it will be more on topic
 Kvan
08-01-2001, 4:14 PM
*smacks head!
You said you explain when the game COMES out. Sorry about that:)
 Cillo Kwi'ley
08-01-2001, 9:39 PM
Originally posted by Kvan

it's really easy to when there is no game out yet to talk about.
I meant that I'm not going to explain how AoK works in a GB forum.

Originally posted by Kvan

Ok, explain...

If you must really know, PM me and I might explain it to you but these forums are for GB talk, and as I said, I don't want to explain the AoK editor in detail since it might be different in GB.
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 9:03 AM
right, let's not make this an AOK-forum until GB comes out..
if you want to check AOK-workings, look at www.ageofkings.com) or www.ageofkings.cc)
that gives you all info you need
 Darth_Rommel
08-02-2001, 1:30 PM
Hurray! :D
 Paragon_Leon
08-02-2001, 5:11 PM
would it be an idea to offer people 'crash courses' to get familiar with the AOK-engine ?
i think people would be interested..
 Kvan
08-03-2001, 12:41 AM
I like your idea Leon. That way when the game comes out people know at least the basics. I'm game to learn, I only have played AoK a few times. I'm to lazy to go to the website you listed :)
Rommel, what the hell was that about? :)
 Paragon_Leon
08-03-2001, 6:12 AM
well, if you're lazy then learning will be slow too.. :D

Rommel posts those things to shove in quick posts and up his rank, i reckon..

anyway, once the Senate-proposal is through, I'll give it a try there.
 Generalchang
08-03-2001, 12:05 PM
Hello everyone!
I have a question...
Will this website rate scenarios when GB comes out?
If so, will it use the AOKH system of reviewing?

BTW, testing my sig...
 Generalchang
08-03-2001, 12:09 PM
WoW!
It updated my sig on my post after I posted...
Page: 1 of 2