Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What was the worse video game ending for a game you have played?

Page: 1 of 1
 mimartin
03-12-2012, 11:33 AM
It seems that some people around the internet have decided that Mass Effect 3 has the worse ending ever for a video game. So I believe we need to test that theory with a completely unscientific poll question.

I’m not the game connoisseur like some of you so my list may be incomplete, so reply (but don’t vote) and I will add your suggestion to the list (at least until we get the max entries).

What was the worse video game ending for a game you have played?

Diablo
Fable
Fallout 3
Halo 2
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Neverwinter Nights 2
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords
Super Mario Brothers
Wet

Remember this isn't the worse video game, this is the worse ending, made even worse because the game was good up to that point.

I'm going to hold off voting for now, since I haven't finished ME3, but if I were to vote right now it would be for Neverwinter Nights 2... also I actually liked the ending to both Fallout 3 and TSL.

Reminder use spoilers tags when discussing plot items especially when dealing with Mass Effect 3's ending.

You can only vote for one. Decided not to make the poll public, I don't want to know who hates my favorite game ending. :)

Added: Dragon Age 2 - I was one of the few that liked the game, but the ending was terrible IMO.

Added: Deus Ex: Human Revolution per skype request
 Miltiades
03-12-2012, 12:24 PM
KotOR II was awesome, and I was satisfied with its ending (oh yes, I said it). Can't judge ME3's ending, but even if it is that bad, I think there are quite a few endings in gaming history that are worse. From the choices given, I picked Neverwinter Nights 2. Gotta be honest, haven't played half of the games on this list, but you can't deny the cheap ending to an otherwise decent game. I think I would've included Dragon Age 2's ending as well, then again, maybe it doesn't deserve to be named among these otherwise great games.

Also, mim, we need a "best ending to a video game" next. :p
 Sabretooth
03-12-2012, 1:12 PM
Mass Effect 2, but it's also one of the best endings I know of because of the unintentional comedy.
 swphreak
03-12-2012, 2:09 PM
Up til now, I thought the DX Human Revolution ending was pretty crappy, but I think it's better than Mass Effect 3's ending.
 UltimateHK47
03-12-2012, 2:14 PM
Actually I was dissapointed with Doom 3's ending. It didn't have that chilling effect I like on endings like TSL or Bioshock.
Can you add it to the list?
 Lynk Former
03-12-2012, 3:45 PM
I'll let you know once I finish Mass Effect 3 :p
 Alexrd
03-12-2012, 3:53 PM
From what I know, all of those but TSL have a finished ending. So TSL gets my vote.
 Blix
03-12-2012, 5:33 PM
KOTOR 2 hands down...such a cliffhanger/anti climatic end to a great series.
 mimartin
03-12-2012, 5:45 PM
Also, mim, we need a "best ending to a video game" next. :p
You will have to give me a list because my list starts and ends with ME1. I'm not even sure it is the game that makes the ending for me or the music, but Faunts' M4, Pt2 was perfect for Mass Effect.
 M@RS
03-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Please add Crysis: Warhead to the list.
 Q
03-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Haven't played ME3, so NWN2 gets the nod for ****tiest ending.

As released, KotOR 2 didn't even have an ending.
 Sabretooth
03-13-2012, 9:26 AM
Please add Crysis: Warhead to the list.

I actually thought it was a better-resolved ending than the original... it was a better story at any rate.
 M@RS
03-13-2012, 12:05 PM
it was a better story at any rate.

Overall, I agree. The ending was obviously rushed though.

The way Psycho gets a "super gun" to take down the "big red alien" was far too alike Nomad taking down a similar looking "big blue alien" with a similar looking "super gun".

Also, Psycho's commentary throughout the boss fight is a massive pile of Wisconsin.
 mimartin
03-13-2012, 1:10 PM
Finished ME3 last night, Neverwinter Nights 2 got my vote. Close between it and Halo2, but I give it to Neverwinter Nights 2 because I expect more from it. :) Mass Effect 3 wouldn't even make the list for me.
 Red Hessian
03-14-2012, 2:16 PM
Like Miltiades, I was also satisfied with TSL's ending (the long talk with Kreia worked just fine IMO).

The worst ending that that I've seen was of a little known game called Darkstar One. After the obligatory "saving the universe by killing the evil aliens", you're still flying your old rustbucket and the "girl of your dreams" runs off with another guy. :D

But from the choices above - Dragon Age 2.
 Obi-Wan Bologna
03-14-2012, 5:41 PM
I can't believe that many people are voting for KOTOR II, I hope LucasArts realizes it needs a sequel... please! :(
 mimartin
03-14-2012, 6:18 PM
I can't believe that many people are voting for KOTOR II, I hope LucasArts realizes it needs a sequel... please! :(

Why would you sequel something that has the worse ending?:xp:

Also IMO there are many worse endings than KOTOR II, the TSL is one of my favorite games of all times. Warts and all...
 Obi-Wan Bologna
03-15-2012, 6:14 PM
Why would you sequel something that has the worse ending?:xp:

Also IMO there are many worse endings than KOTOR II, the TSL is one of my favorite games of all times. Warts and all...

Yeah, so you folks should stop voting for it! :D :rolleyes:
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
03-16-2012, 3:53 AM
TSL gets my vote. The ending was so horrible and disappointing (if you can call it an ending).

DXHR's ending was pretty disappointing too, though. However, I still love the game overall.

Haven't played ME3 yet. All this talk of a bad ending is making me a little nervous (but not really surprised)..
 Totenkopf
03-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Well, only have played 3 of the games on this list (TSL/ME2/ME3). Probably have to say TSL, mostly b/c of the anti-climactic feel it induced and had expected more from it than I got. Mass Effect sequels benefited from no real expectations on my part.
 christos200
03-18-2012, 11:53 AM
TSL because it has the worst ending in a video game ever.
 ChAiNz.2da
03-19-2012, 10:47 AM
NWN 2. Boulders? really? Though TSL was a VERY CLOSE second with it's rushed ending of no answers whatsoever. Thanks for wasting my time throughout the playthrough.

Come to think of it.. both were Obsidian. huh, imagine that... :¬:
 Negative Sun
03-23-2012, 8:46 AM
Mass Effect 3 by far it has depressed me to my core I cannot stomach another playthrough right now. 99% of this game is epic but the end is one of the worst ever in any game or movie...

ME2 had a great ending with lots of possibilties IMO

Those who put TSL but haven't played ME3 be prepared to change your vote...
 RoxStar
03-25-2012, 1:34 AM
I don't think you can possibly top KOTOR II's ending. It was just dreadful. Byproduct of an accelerated development cycle or not.
 Mav
03-26-2012, 1:07 AM
Chrono Trigger, because it ended. :data:
 Drunkside
03-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Mass Effect 3 by far it has depressed me to my core I cannot stomach another playthrough right now. 99% of this game is epic but the end is one of the worst ever in any game or movie...

ME2 had a great ending with lots of possibilties IMO

Those who put TSL but haven't played ME3 be prepared to change your vote...

This.

Actually I think ME3ґs ending in its whole crappiness ruined GAMING as a whole for me, I havent felt like playing anything since I finished ME3, and that was 2 weeks ago. In my opinion TSL is definetely rushed, but not as bad as this. NWN2 was totally horrid and bug ridden, but the thing that makes ME3 the worst is that it isnt (at least i dont think it is) a by product of a rushed release, it just makes absolutely no sense and is filled with plot holes the size of a star. Even on ME standards.
 Q
03-27-2012, 10:36 AM
While I'm in no rush to play ME3, I do find all of the piss and vinegar over the ending rather intriguing. :p

It ruined all of gaming for you? WOW.
 Astor
03-27-2012, 1:03 PM
I haven't played Mass Effect 3 yet... but I have read about the ending and I honestly don't understand the problem, or the vitriol.

So seeing as I have neither played or have a problem with ME3, I'll have to say the worst ending I have encountered is Medal of Honor: Rising Sun.
 Q
03-30-2012, 1:20 PM
That whole game was bad; not just the ending. :carms:
 Darth Avlectus
04-01-2012, 4:36 PM
As for TSL: Good concept, incomplete game, lackadaisical execution, rushed ending. I don't understand all the hate, some of it maybe, but not all. And I didn't like how it made Revan out to have been a god more or less. It is not the worst I have seen, though.

BTW, don't knock SMB. It's one of the better games for the NES and most games for that era had similar endings.

Twisted Metal 3. Hard game, for a reward that wasn't quite worth it. All the endings were suck-ish. Understandably it's about dark humor: that's kind of the point to the storylines of EVERY TM. Unfortunately in TM3, EVERY stinkin' ending made a *mockery* of whatever character you chose. There is no irony, and the absurdity is overblown like a really bad fairytale. It isn't really as funny as its predecessors. Who the **** wrote this game's storylines for the characters anyways? It has about 14 different endings. Some are sort of funny but the rest just suck.

So far as a game:
They also took away innocent bystander pedestrians running around in the stages for you to kill--the very thing that made TM so controversial, the thing that made it stand out in the first place during the PS1 32-bit era. And don't even get me started on the irritating little inconsistencies 989 studios introduced in TM3, which were only further exacerbated in TM4. TM4 was an improvement mind you, but by this point, to hell with any storyline.

TM3 was a game that is a hard fight and I suppose it was sort of fun if you stuck with it and you unlocked everything. Certainly the character Auger was badass. Most people just couldn't stomach how SLOW this game was and I can't blame them. Something about data per second or frames per second being too much for the game engine to process. I don't know. Would have been nice if they'd have done more beta testing before selling it.

Before the heyday of Grand Theft Auto, Twisted Metal was the game to have for carnage, crime and blood. Sure early GTA games were around but are not well known because they didn't quite have the impact TM did. I think GTA3 era games took a page from the Twisted Metal games, just my opinion.

This game was kind of disgraceful to the TM series as a whole. TM deserved better, and this is probably a good bit of the reason the original crew decided to start anew and make Twisted Metal Black instead of making a 5th installment. Developer 989 studios MESSED it up. They may have made great sports games, and their idea for the "tru-physics" engine was an innovative one, BUT poorly executed. They should have stuck with sports.

In retrospect, save that I wish the newer Twisted Metal games would have at least kept Auger (because there is nothing quite like shredding your opponents to death with a giant drill!), Sony probably should have just stuck with the original TM team. Of course one would then have to question if TMB would have been so good if the 2 games before it weren't mediocre to sucky-suck. Guess it's averaging and you need valleys in order to appreciate the peaks. At least they had the sense to return to the original producer team because they made the good stuff, (and still are making good stuff).
rant over

TL;DR: I suppose TM3 as a game has its place and perhaps had good ideas, but it came up lacking in execution overall and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to play it.
 Sabretooth
04-02-2012, 1:23 AM
Chrono Trigger, because it ended. :data:

Mav, layin' it as it is. :data:
 Mandalore The Shadow
04-02-2012, 8:52 AM
I voted for Mass Effect 3 for obvious reasons, I don't want to spoil anything so I will keep my mouth shut.

But I want to say that TSL's ending disappointed me greatly. I can't believe they set up a cliffhanger and just left it. IT MAKES ME :(
 Bob Saget
08-10-2012, 7:00 PM
I was gonna put TSL up there, but if you think about it, it wasn't really Obsidian's fault since LA rushed them for Christmas release :| And playing it with the TSLRCM really is great

ME3 was really really disappointing, because the other two were just so freaking epic to end like this was just really... ugh (though the rest of the game was awesome)

ME3 was originally promised to have 16 different endings depending on the choices of your Shepard character throughout the whole series, and we ended up with 3 endings with really only the color as the underlying difference. If Casey Hudson says that the writer's original dream for ME3 was good, he must have been smoking some serious stuff bro. The whole idea of Synthetics vs Organics has been cliche since the 70's, and I think they really wanted to copy of Battlestar Galactica, which is really hard to do. However, the extended cut did help out quite a bit to clarify stuff, but I really felt that the EMS was just utterly pointless.

P.S. - In the final battle, where the hell is the Geth, or even the armada of Krogan? Because I could have sworn I only see like 20 every time no matter the EMS...
Page: 1 of 1