Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Assassin's Creed 3 Revealed

Page: 1 of 1
 RoxStar
03-05-2012, 4:31 PM
Apparently this fall players will be able to take on a new adventure set during the revolutionary war. Seems interesting. I was personally hoping for the third game to be based in Victorian London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVUMPrv8oRw)

What does everyone think?
 Lynk Former
03-05-2012, 10:24 PM
I was hoping AC3 would be following a female protagonist and that the historical setting would be feudal Japan and your character would be a ninja... but *sigh* I guess this is okay.
 Darth Avlectus
04-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Native American? YESSSSSS!
You know something I've ignored the last few installments but when I saw the poster the other day I freaked out...in my quiet little way where I keep it contained but inside my head my voice is going crazy as I'm bouncing off the walls of the inner recesses of my brain. I'm glad to see Native Americans getting some kind of glamorous mainstream recognition (in video games) for once. It's about time.

So anyway I have not payed attention much to AC if at all. Ordinarily I'd just pass it over unless it was something else of interest. Like chinese or japanese--maybe. But this is awesome. Coming up on 1776, formation of America's republic.

I'm on the edge about this, I just may set aside some $$$ to get this. So AC's past installments, how would you rate them? Good? Great? Marginal?
 Lynk Former
05-01-2012, 1:20 AM
I am interested to see how it's all gonna play out, though I know very little about the setting compared to the European setting in the previous games. It'll be interesting to go in fresh that way I guess.
 Darth Avlectus
05-05-2012, 2:35 PM
The setting is 1775 North America. The revolutionary war is beginning.

You are (presumably) a Native, or mostly of that blood. Probably speak english, maybe french depending on which tribe and who that tribe married into. (Or you're just a bastard mongrel depending on your particular perspective.) Point being I'm sure there will be some reason you understand spoken dialog as opposed to just speaking the native tongue of your tribe. I do wonder how much it actually will go into tribes and stuff, though. Not sure how much it'll go into your background, at least as these games go.

Anyhoo, your assassin role will probably affect the events ahead and the founding of America. Pretty much the sound skinny to the best I can determine.
 Lynk Former
05-05-2012, 9:00 PM
That much seemed obvious.

I meant more of the actual specifics of American history that I won't really get compared to the European/Middle-Eastern history in the previous AC games which I'm more familiar with.
 Darth Avlectus
05-07-2012, 2:59 AM
Let me see if I can do better......

Basically the colonists in the North American Continent were not going to recognize the stamp act of 1765 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stamp_Act_1765), taxing them without representation and therefore a violation of their rights, as imposed by the Parliament of Great Britain. This sparked a war: the American Revolutionary War.

So the place for the setting is Eastern America, the Frontier. The battle of Trenton, The battle of Brooklyn, Valley Forge Pennsylvania. Similar incidents.

What is happening? The war that ended up with the founding of U.S.A. This is the time of these figures in American History:

1) George Washington, Commander-in-chief of the Continental Army. He would go on to become the first president of the united states.

2) Benjamin Franklin, a founding father of the United States and a man of many talents and professions in arts, sciences, politics, civics, and others.

3) Paul Revere, a silversmith, a man of industry, and most famously known for alerting the colonial militia of the approaching British army before the battles of Lexington and Concord. "The British are coming! The British are coming!"

4) Charles Lee, previously a british soldier who shall become the General of the Continental Army.

5) Lafayette, a french aristocrat who became a war general in the American Revolutionary War. Serving a major-general under George Washington.

6) Samuel Adams, Political Philosopher, statesman. He was on the front lines of the legal side of things, writing the "Adams Instructions" in response to the sugar Act of 1764. The term "taxation without representation" for what was to become United States of America was coined here as he made the first legal, political, and for all intents and purposes official unified defense of the colonists' rights. The first political body making the first on record statement that Parliament could not rightly tax them. His contention was that the Parliament did not have sovereignty over the Colonists. A year later the Stamp Act was passed by the Parliament. This caused an uproar in the colonies. From there it all erupted and...well, not to be too cliche but, "the rest is history" as the saying goes.

=====================

So far as the player's role? The main character seems to be loosely based off of Joseph Brant of the Mohawk nation of Native Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolution#Native_Americans)
Native Americans
Main article: Native Americans
Further information: Western theater of the American Revolutionary War

Most Native Americans rejected pleas that they remain neutral and supported the British Crown, both because of trading relationships and its efforts to prohibit colonial settlement west of the Appalachian Mountains. The great majority of the 200,000 Native Americans east of the Mississippi distrusted the colonists and supported the British cause, hoping to forestall continued colonial encroachment on their territories.[67] Those tribes that were more closely involved in colonial trade tended to side with the revolutionaries, although political factors were important as well.

Although there was limited participation by Native American warriors except for those associated with four of the Iroquois nations in New York and Pennsylvania, the British provided Indians with funding and weapons to attack American outposts. Some Indians tried to remain neutral, seeing little value in joining a European conflict and fearing reprisals from whichever side they opposed. The Oneida and Tuscarora peoples of western New York supported the American cause.[68]

The British provided arms to Indians, who were led by Loyalists in war parties to raid frontier settlements from the Carolinas to New York. They killed many scattered settlers, especially in Pennsylvania. In 1776 Cherokee war parties attacked American colonists all along the southern frontier of the uplands.[69] While the Chickamauga Cherokee could launch raids numbering a couple hundred warriors, as seen in the Chickamauga Wars, they could not mobilize enough forces to fight a major invasion without the help of allies, most often the Creek.

Joseph Brant of the powerful Mohawk nation, part of the Iroquois Confederacy based in New York, was the most prominent Native American leader against the rebel forces. In 1778 and 1780, he led 300 Iroquois warriors and 100 white Loyalists in multiple attacks on small frontier settlements in New York and Pennsylvania, killing many settlers and destroying villages, crops and stores.[70] The Seneca, Onondaga and Cayuga of the Iroquois Confederacy also allied with the British against the Americans. In 1779 the Continentals retaliated with an American army under John Sullivan, which raided and destroyed 40 empty Iroquois villages in central and western New York.[71] Sullivan's forces systematically burned the villages and destroyed about 160,000 bushels of corn that comprised the winter food supply. Facing starvation and homeless for the winter, the Iroquois fled to the Niagara Falls area and to Canada, mostly to what became Ontario. The British resettled them there after the war, providing land grants as compensation for some of their losses.[72]

At the peace conference following the war, the British ceded lands which they did not really control, and did not consult their Indian allies. They "transferred" control to the Americans of all the land east of the Mississippi and north of Florida. The historian Calloway concludes:

Burned villages and crops, murdered chiefs, divided councils and civil wars, migrations, towns and forts choked with refugees, economic disruption, breaking of ancient traditions, losses in battle and to disease and hunger, betrayal to their enemies, all made the American Revolution one of the darkest periods in American Indian history.[73]

The British did not give up their forts in the West (what is now the Ohio to Wisconsin) until 1796; they kept alive the dream of forming a satellite Indian nation there, which they called a Neutral Indian Zone. That goal was one of the causes of the War of 1812.[74][75]

Personally I guess my motivation for interest in this game is as a matter of national pride, and of cultural and indirect ancestral interest. No matter how skewed, accurate, contrary, or agreeable the game's portrayal might be.

I hope one day in the not-too-distant future I can go to my own tribal lands and familiarize myself more with my heritage. But enough about this.

Hope this helps.
 Lynk Former
05-07-2012, 3:21 AM
tl;dr ...and cause I don't care XD

Let me rephrase... not really interested in American history as I was in the European and Middle-Eastern history in the first AC games. Not really all that thrilled about the setting for AC3 but I don't really mind it all that much even though I don't ifnd it as interesting. When I play it a lot of the things in it will go over the top of my head and I won't recognise much of the more obscure references thrown around, but it doesn't really matter cause it's Assassin's Creed.
 Astor
05-07-2012, 4:56 AM
The British uniforms are wrong.

And that general's speech is so ****ing stupid it's unreal. :carms:

I will still probably play it, but if that trailer is indicative of the actual game (granted, it probably isn't), I'm expecting a historical cock-up to rival The Patriot.
 Alexrd
05-07-2012, 5:55 AM
The trailer is in-game footage, at least.
 Darth Avlectus
05-08-2012, 12:05 AM
tl;dr ...and cause I don't care XD
Somehow I KNEW you were going to say that. :rolleyes:

Let me rephrase... not really interested in American history as I was in the European and Middle-Eastern history in the first AC games. Not really all that thrilled about the setting for AC3 but I don't really mind it all that much even though I don't ifnd it as interesting. When I play it a lot of the things in it will go over the top of my head and I won't recognise much of the more obscure references thrown around, but it doesn't really matter cause it's Assassin's Creed.

Ah. Certainly nothing wrong with brand loyalty. Brand wars on the other hand I could never understand more than just the economics behind it, but that's another issue entirely.

I do the same thing sometimes when it's a brand I like, though possibly not without getting a bad taste in my mouth in the long run. (Edit: To clarify, speaking to the issue of simply playing and ignoring everything else. Sorry if I didn't make this clearer.)

This game is a case of the exact opposite for me, more of an adventuresome leap. I'm only vaguely familiar with Assassin's Creed so I'm probably not going to be interested much in AC after this unless it hits something else I'd want to check out in future releases.
 Lynk Former
05-08-2012, 4:00 AM
Well no one cares about Australian history... can't expect everyone to care about American history.... I certainly don't care about either.
 Darth Avlectus
05-09-2012, 10:39 PM
^^^Fair enough. You can wiki to get a general idea nowadays for ...pretty much anything.

Now back to what I was saying before all that. Best I can make of the game genre is it's a glamorous fantastical take on assassinations. There's an order of assassins you join. You pretty much just kill your targets or whatever.

How are the mechanics (far as AC goes in general) in terms of controller handling? Much of a learning curve? Intuitive from the get-go? Has it been consistent from title to title?

How is its difficulty in gameplay? Would an out of shape 360-er have an inordinate level of difficulty?
Page: 1 of 1