Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[SPOILER] After the Foundry encounter

Page: 1 of 1
 Devizz
02-28-2012, 8:26 AM
There were countless topics made on official swtor forums with people arguing over this - main concerns were whether Revan fell to the dark side or remained more kind of "grey jedi" and whether he survived the Foundry flashpoint and used force ability called: "Fold Space". These are all rumors of course, nothing confirmed BUT...

Let me give you a link to short interview that focuses on lore related questions:

Drew Karpyshyn - say whatever you want about him, but this man is a legend. The lead writer of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and
Mass Effect 1. And of course the creator of Revan character. Also, an author of what I consider one of the greatest Star Wars books to be ever released - Darth Bane: Path of Destruction.

For three years he was working on Star Wars: The Old Republic, continuously contributing to it's storyline. Most recently he wrote an amazing novel called simply: "Revan". While according to me and many other fans it was a great read, some people reacted rather negatively to it and had very controversial opinions about the whole plot. Well, De gustibus non est disputandum.

Anyway, recently Drew retired from BioWare in order to be able to focus more on his own projects and to spend more time... golfing. Was his decision forunate or not that remains to be seen but as Drew put it: "However, I feel that’s an essential step for every creative artist to take at some point. It keeps us fresh, it keeps us energized."

You can share your personal view on this matter in the question poll.

Overall, Drew is a really nice guy (at least from what I hear, tbh I don't even personally know him ). But it seems that this opinion about him is rather accurate, because not many writers spend their free time answering theirs fans emails (and even those nasty ones written by haters!).

I emailed Drew Karpyshyn recently and asked him a few questions mainly related to lore (and I also got an answer to the ones related to Revan's final fate and his possible reappearance in the future!), so here you go, enjoy this exclusive set of Q&A:

Hello, first of all I would like to say that I am huge fan of your books and games (KotOR series, Bane trilogy, Revan novel - you make SW lore even greater than it already is!).
I just recently finished SW:TOR (or rather completed my first character's storyline) and I have few questions and it would be great if you could find some time to answer them.
All right, so here it goes:

Q: Did Revan really fall to the dark side again? How come he wants to commit genocide and exterminate the whole race? And how is that possible that Republic is supporting him in doing so - it's against all principles that the jedi believe in. And there are jedi aboard the foundry, along with republic troops.
A: Revan always walked on the edge of light and dark, and being corrupted by the Emperor's presence for 300 years did push him over in that direction. However, that doesn't mean he can't be redeemed again later - remember, you never see him die; he just vanishes. We left that door open on purpose.

Q: After the Foundry encounter, Revan speaks the same line as Malak did during his demise on the Starforge. Is this some sort of homage to Malak or? If yes, it kind of confirms that he fell to the Dark Side.
A: It's more of an homage than proof of anything.

Q: Is there a chance that you will ever write another book related to Revan? For example about his childhood, how Kreia/Arren Kae found him and how he became a jedi. It would be great to find out more about him. We know that he came from the outer rim and that Revan was in fact not his real name (it was revealed in TOR: "Revan - it is not my real name, it never was, but it will do).
A: Nothing planned right now, but you never know what the future holds.

For full interview head over to http://lorefreak.blogspot.com/)

So, what do you think happened to him? :>
 Lynk Former
02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Edited the thread title... trying to keep those kinds of things as ambiguous as possible for people who haven't played those parts of the game or read the book.
 Darth Avlectus
02-28-2012, 9:19 PM
Since I decided awhile ago spoiling this was NOT going to be detrimental to my desire to venture into SWTOR, I'll indulge here despite not being able to play yet or for a foreseeable time.

What happened?

He disappeared in a blinding flash of sparks and light. One could speculate
a> that was the end of him and he became one with the force
b> he is no longer with us on a physical level but who knows if he isn't hanging around on a force-apparition level?
c> he transformed and became something else.

For the last one of course I have one idea: is it not possible he resided within his own holocron? Of course the device would probably work regardless. If you are familiar with Drew Karpyshyn's earlier work, you will know what became of the holocron of Revan in the book Darth Bane: Path of Destruction.
The device worked and taught Bane everything it knew, but due to an impurity in the crystal used in the device's construction, the device degraded with each time Bane used it. At the end of the final lesson, after the last glitch just before it died, the holocron of Revan said to Bane: "My time here is ended. Take what I have taught you and use it well." And then Revan was gone. The glow emanating from the holocron faded away to nothing. Bane retrieved the small crystal pyramid from the floor, but it was cold and lifeless in his hands. He felt no trace of the Force inside it.
The artifact was of no more use to him. As Revan had taught him, it must therefore be discarded. He let it drop to the floor. Then, very slowly and deliberately, he crushed it with the power of the Force until only dust remained.

Unless there was another lightsaber or lightsaber crystal that once belonged to Revan, I'm afraid there is little else left in terms of physical traces of his existence.

Ancestors such as Deena Shan in the time of Luke Skywalker.

HK-47 lived a looooong time afterwards, too. After the clone wars, a crew of pirates or mercenaries attempted to capture and/or destroy HK-47 in his mustafar facility. For their efforts they got a mockery gift. A hologram of HK-47 with "meatbag" engraved into the base of the projector. So as of the original trilogy, his status is at large and unknown. He did not reappear 135+ years later in the Legacy series.
 Miltiades
03-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I'd like to think he died during the Foundry flashpoint. It's not the death I wanted for him, but then at least I don't get to see the character being raped any further. Yeah, you can count me among the haters.
 Lynk Former
03-05-2012, 10:29 PM
He lives on the Republic side and continues to fight against the Empire behind the scenes...
Page: 1 of 1