Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Teh GenoHaradan

Page: 1 of 1
 Exile007
12-18-2011, 9:18 PM
Hey LFers,

I have a pretty crappy track record of finishing mods as well as keeping up with fellow modders. So I've buried myself in other activities to keep myself from coming back to Holowan so I wouldn't be ashamed. Unfortunately, one of those other activities involved following The Old Republic and the absolutely wonderful job they did with Revan and the Exile. This led to me running back to my dear copies of the KotOR series. This also led me to digging through some of my half-finished KotOR mods.

One of those mods was something I originally made for myself, never to be released to the public (both because Lord of Hunger had a monopoly on the GenoHaradan and because of my track record with mods) - this mod was/is a GenoHaradan encounter mod. Basically I took an empty Jekk' Jekk' Tunnels module and added Dessicus and his GenoHaradan minions to the pit. All that it ever was was the infamous encounter where Dessicus blows up the Jekk' Jekk' Tarr and everyone thinks that the Exile is dead (oh noes!).

I've searched high and low for ways to add the GenoHaradan back into the game. I didn't like the way TSLRP added them back in:
They show up en route to Malachor V. You fight them. Pacing much?
And Lord of Hunger's method also seems a bit weird.
IIRC, they are kind of like how the HK-50 units were supposed to be - they randomly ambush you around the galaxy. You piece together their location on Nar Shaddaa from datapads or something. You fight them in their base, wherever that is.
Due to the nature of the GenoHaradan, it's difficult to add them into the game. Wait, let me debunk a myth on way this is the case - "It's too hard! There's not enough content left over!" No. There are plenty of lines of dialog. We have a pretty clear idea of what was supposed to happen:

Basically, the GenoHaradan were replaced by the Exchange. You go to confront them in the Jekk' Jekk' Tarr.
Fight.
Base blows up

Now this is where things get ambiguous, and I'm not even talking about the Sion vs. Nihilus scene. Zez apparently shows up and saves the Exile from a fiery death. Was the Exile supposed to have his/her talk with Zez right then and there? Or was Visquis supposed to swoop the Exile after the explosion and bring him to Goto like a good boy? There are dialog files to suggest both explanations, and it's not unlikely that Obsidian made a change to the GenoHaradan plot before cutting it entirely. This brings me to my point: the only way to fully restore the GenoHaradan is to tweak the plot of Nar Shaddaa. Not change, tweak. There's a lot of juicy dialog just waiting to be used, and I wouldn't dare touch the integrity of the plot. Wait, I sense a question looming:

"WHAT ABOUT TSLCRM????"

You're right. I confess that I've never completed a full playthrough with the restoration mod, I know that it changes a lot on Nar Shaddaa. Particularly the chase to rescue the Exile from the evil clutches of the Exchange. Yes, I know that I would have to leap through rings of fire above a tank of sharks to make the mod compatible with TSLCRM. That's why I'm not convinced tweaking Nar Shaddaa is the best course of action.

And here is where I present my request: Please tell me what you believe is the best way to integrate the GenoHaradan back into TSL, disregarding quantity of work and mod incompatibilities. As I said, I have some work done on the fight itself.

I'll be uploading all of my files to mediafire in the event that I disappear. First one can be found below.

12/18/11
-First update: Pretty complete Dessicus fight. May move to other locations. He's currently in the normally-sealed area of the Nar Shaddaa docks. (doors can now be opened)
-Update #1 (http://www.mediafire.com/?de4t861a23tr68o)

Whether you want to share ideas or try out a simple Dessicus fight, thanks for your time! :)
 Darth InSidious
12-18-2011, 10:05 PM
As I recall, the G0T0 plot-line was only developed after M478 was scrapped. As far as I can tell, the G0T0-Exchange plotline was then moved to Nar Shaddaa, and the HK Factory to its present location.

Your current reconstructio reminds me of what TSLRP had, except
you have two beasts where they had one giant one, and fewer GenoHaradan about; also your Dessicus is a bit less difficult to defeat, I think - there's was a bloody hard fight.

As to how to integrate the GenoHaradan... that's a tough one. So far as I can tell, they really belong to a revision of the plot that has been superceded by the one in the game. As such, there isn't really a space for them to occupy in the plot that really works, particularly with the other Nar Shaddaa cut content.

One possible option would be that following Visquis' message, the Exile is intercepted by the GenoHaradan, and then 'rescued' by either Mira or Hanharr. This would also beef up their reason for assisting the Exile in the Jekk'Jekk Tarr. In terms of cut content, I would place it before the cut-scenes about the bounty hunter truce being off, and the following mosh-fight.

I would also put a encounter or two on Telos with them, just to give the player something to keep them aware that the GH are out there, and maybe seed semi-random encounters on some of the other planets, too, which appear only if the player hasn't already gone to Nar Shaddaa.
 Exile007
12-18-2011, 11:15 PM
The current reconstruction was me going off of the few glimpses of the GenoHaradan that I saw in the Teaser Trailer and Final Trailer for TSLRP. From what I could tell the fight took place in the warehouse and there were a ton of GenoHaradan Disciples. The rest I made up to go with Dessicus' dialog.

I recall working on a similar fight that takes place in the Jekk'Jekk' Tunnels, but the files elude me.

One possible option would be that
following Visquis' message, the Exile is intercepted by the GenoHaradan, and then 'rescued' by either Mira or Hanharr.
This would also beef up their reason for assisting the Exile in the Jekk'Jekk Tarr. In terms of cut content, I would place it before
the cut-scenes about the bounty hunter truce being off, and the following mosh-fight.
I like the suggestions.
I'm not sure if you're saying that the Exile would be taken to the Geno fortress in the warehouse or in the Jekk'Jekk' Tarr before Mira or Hanharr comes to rescue the Exile. Most likely in the Jekk'Jekk' Tarr because you said "assisting the Exile in the Jekk'Jekk Tarr." But then where would Visquis and his minions-oh wait. I need to figure some of this stuff out too. :p

Thanks for the fast reply and suggestions!
 Darth InSidious
12-18-2011, 11:45 PM
The player would be on their way to the Jekk'Jekk Tarr rendezvous with Visquis, when they would be intercepted by the GenoHaradan at the base in the Docks you currently have them in.

Glad to help! :)
 Sith Holocron
12-19-2011, 1:45 AM
I agree that DI's suggestions seems sound.

A suggestion - perhaps you could connect your module to Quanon's Nar Shaddaa (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=200556&page=13) additions - assuming that Quanon would be OK with that. That way once the Exile and party escapes, the disorientation of entering a different part of Nar Shaddaa could be kind of fun.

I certainly hope it will be TSLRCM compatible. (After M4-78 EP and this gets released, all that's really left to restore is Disciple's "Holocron Quest.")
 Quanon
12-19-2011, 10:18 AM
A suggestion - perhaps you could connect your module to Quanon's Nar Shaddaa (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=200556&page=13) additions - assuming that Quanon would be OK with that. That way once the Exile and party escapes, the disorientation of entering a different part of Nar Shaddaa could be kind of fun.

The main character in my mod isn't the Exile. The plot of my mod is connected to the TSL storyline. Though only very loosely. Also I don't think it's that compatible to mix my mod up with what Exile007 wants to do. It would become to much of a hotch potch affair :lol:

Cool findings though. Never knew the story bit on Nar Shaddaa was that much differant at first.
 Exile007
12-19-2011, 1:35 PM
A suggestion - perhaps you could connect your module to Quanon's Nar Shaddaa additions - assuming that Quanon would be OK with that. That way once the Exile and party escapes, the disorientation of entering a different part of Nar Shaddaa could be kind of fun.

Using an area generated from scratch is a huge challenge that I think the majority of the community is unaware of. I don't know how Silveredge managed to fill Quanon's modules with life the way he did. It's pretty difficult to grab an exisiting module and fill it with life. Just look at the lack of content/planet mods for the KotOR series. It takes time, effort, and willpower.

Quanon's modules always look fantastic. But trying to use a completely new module to blend with the game and filling this new module with life is beyond the scope of this project. I want to restore the GenoHaradan to TSL as closely as I can to Obsidian's original vision. If I took on anymore I don't think I could handle it. :xp:

I certainly hope it will be TSLRCM compatible. (After M4-78 EP and this gets released, all that's really left to restore is Disciple's "Holocron Quest.")

Yeah, I'm going to have to have a looksy at TSLCRM's files, and also a possible chat with zbly2 and Stoney. But of course, the first milestone is to get this thing working in vanilla TSL.

Speaking of milestones: I have a few phases of this project that I'm going to be using to track my progress.

First milestone - Plan out how all the GenoHaradan content is going to work in game without actually touching KotOR tool, but instead using *drumroll* Microsoft Word (or notepad :p).

Second milestone - Restore GenoHaradan content into the game. Have a completed Journal entry system that tracks everything since
Batu Rem, a GenoHaradan assassin, attacks you on Telos.
to
Dessicus blowing up the GenoHaradan base.
Basically have a playable version of the mod. Camera angles and scripts will be basic and bare necessities.
Third milestone - Tweaks. Add various items and unique appearances to the GenoHaradan (again, keeping this simple. I don't want to spend two days working on Dessicus' face in Photoshop when I could instead be working on a more essential part of the mod.). Scripts will become more complex, and placeable cameras will be implented.

Fourth milestone - Beta test the hell out of this thing until I'm happy with it.

Fifth milestone - Public release!

If this seems familiar, it's probably because you read Pavlos' post mortem of M4-78 found here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=176261). It's very insightful. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend giving it a read.

I'll be releasing what I have after each milestone. Hopefully I'll at least make it to the first or second milestone. :p I put up the original fight to show that I at least had something. I also arranged that fight when I was a naive modder who thought that I was somehow different than the rest of the pack and could finish a huge project without an organized system.

Thank you guys for the ideas. Keep them coming!
 Exile007
12-22-2011, 5:51 PM
Master document completed. Full steam ahead on the actual mod building phase of the mod! :)

I have two screenshots from my work today. Very simple restorations with some journal entries.

-The Exile talks with Atton. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/k200000h.jpg)
-Vossk is violent. (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/k200003.jpg/)

Yeah, not super exciting progress. But I can only show little bits and pieces for now.

Enjoy!
 Zhaboka
12-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Nice! I have never seen any of this dialogue before, not having searched game files ever.
 TTLan
12-23-2011, 4:41 AM
I was rereading my notes on the GenoHaradan.
http://assiste.free.fr/kotor_2/organisation_genoharadan.html)
I had gathered on this page all the material I found on the GenoHaradan.

(For those who are not aware, this is a French website about Kotor 2 - TSL and the period of the Old Republic)

An animation idea
305NAR_dlg \ dessicus.dlg

Dessicus (StrRef 113022)
Do ... You Think You Could me best? Try ... Against this your skills.

Note:
At this point, a script named "a_door305cage" is launched, but this script no longer exists.

One can imagine that, given the name of this script and the location of the Exile, a heavy grid falls from the roof, enclosing the Exile in a cage.

This could be a circular or squared cage.

The animation could be like in the movie "Lara Croft - Tomb Raider 1" when the gates fall to protect collections of Lara Croft at the time of theft of the "All-seeing eye". Something spectacular.

This would be activated by a device on the wrist or the forearm of Dessicus or on the hilt of his sword.

The GenoHaradan targets Meetra
In another vein, one wonders why the GenoHaradan as targeted Meetra.

I suggested that Revan is seeking to eliminate Meetra.

He places her at a command post from where she should not survive, at the Battle of Malachor V (as he did at this same battle, for all those, political, military or Jedi, that might be an obstacle to his ambitions).

He produces thousands of HK-50. GoTo tells us that the initial programming, which still exists, is to seek and kill Meetra.

A vision of the future, in the secret tomb of Ludo Kressh, shows Meetra confronting and defeating Revan. Therefore Revan has reasons to fear Meetra, her power and her righteousness (Meetra is in full searching for her own redemption).

Revan was approached by the GenoHaradan in Kotor 1 (a member of GenoHaradan attempt to manipulate Revan). But no one can approach the GenoHaradan, let alone afford the services of GenoHaradan, except some heads of state. You have to be at the head of an Empire, as Revan, in order to have access to secrets that allow to approach the GenoHaradan and have the means to pay for hit men of this caliber.

TTLan
 Exile007
12-23-2011, 3:30 PM
Note:
At this point, a script named "a_door305cage" is launched, but this script no longer exists.

One can imagine that, given the name of this script and the location of the Exile, a heavy grid falls from the roof, enclosing the Exile in a cage.

This could be a circular or squared cage.

The animation could be like in the movie "Lara Croft - Tomb Raider 1" when the gates fall to protect collections of Lara Croft at the time of theft of the "All-seeing eye". Something spectacular.

This would be activated by a device on the wrist or the forearm of Dessicus or on the hilt of his sword.

The script "a_door305cage.nss" exists. This is what I get when I decompile it.

void main() {
object o305Cage = GetObjectByTag("305Cage", 0);
SetLocked(o305Cage, 0);
DelayCommand(1.0, AssignCommand(o305Cage, ActionOpenDoor(o305Cage)));
}

I'm pretty sure the big door was supposed to open, revealing the Kath Hounds or some other beasts the player had to fight.

I suggested that Revan is seeking to eliminate Meetra.

God forbid I use The Old Republic as an argument, but Revan and the Exile worked together in Revan (the novel) as well as in ToR. In addition, the HK-50 units were supposed to hunt down Jedi, not just the Exile in particular.

I don't think that Revan even knew of the Exile's journey. He was hanging out with the "True Sith" during the events of The Sith Lords.

I appreciate the ideas, but I'm afraid they don't fit into the GenoHaradan that I am creating. :)
 Hassat Hunter
02-13-2012, 7:43 PM
Well, not sure if you're still working on it, but...

To make it TSLRCM compatible you'll have to look at 1.8 (unless you want to re-do work, I doubt it). Which modifies the attack by "Batu Rem" (mostly just issues with jumping NPC's and fade-outs etc.)
Also, the weapon dealers (Czerka path) used to be GenoHaraden. Their entry, too, has been modified to add some missing Kreia lines (which were never triggered, since you had to be alone. So Kreia is just spawned for these few lines with the wavery effect than deleted again. Restored! ;))
And Vossk has been modified.

So yeah, not easy to make it compatible already.

And Nar Shaddaa, being Nar Shaddaa, got a lot of modifications too of course (Of which 303nar.git would be your main worry, and the modifications in 305nar).
 Exile007
02-24-2012, 1:29 PM
I'm still working on this. I feel like I owe it to anyone who is interested to say that I've decided to change the quest from something mandatory to something the player has an option to complete or not. This was done for a few reasons:

Compatibility with the restoration mod
Gives me a chance to make the quest more grand and original
Makes it easier for me to deal with various scripts and dialogues that occur once the player sets off the chain events from the meeting with Visquis to the end of Nar Shaddaa

Thanks for your patience! =)
 noname35
02-24-2012, 2:20 PM
Any new items?
 Exile007
03-03-2012, 5:23 PM
Any new items?

I'm finally working on the "endgame" part of the mod, so once I finish this stuff up, I'll start working on some skins and unique items. After that, testing and release! :)

Oh, and because I haven't updated in a while.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg482/BrokenPrinter2/K2_00012.jpg)

Edit: Woah. This feels weird. You know that milestone I talked about a while back? The one about finishing enough so the mod is completely playable, albeit horrendous in some places? :p Yeah... I made it there! So this is what it feels like to be within striking distance of finishing a mod... :lol: I'm going to keep revising gameplay stuff like cutscenes, rebalancing, and dialog. In the mean time, would anyone be interested in helping me beta test?

Ah the sweet satisfaction of accomplishment. :lol:
 noname35
03-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Those graphics look amazing
 Salk
03-29-2012, 8:50 AM
Have you had any luck in finding beta testers?

How are things going?

Thanks for your work, by the way!
 Sith Holocron
11-23-2012, 7:35 PM
In lieu of Exile007 starting a release thread over in TUCE, I'll inform you all that the beta of the GenoHaradan mmod is now up over at Deadly Stream. Before I give the link, I'll quote some information from Exile007 regarding his mod.

So I heavily overestimated the amount of free time I would possess in college (meaning I estimated I would have some free time, but in reality, it turned out to be closer to none). I don't think I can say that "this mod will be done when it's done" because I've really done a lot of modding over the last five years, and a lot of my projects are half-completed. This one I can say is more than half-completed, but it's still sort of rough. I've taken what little progress I've made since the first round of beta testing and submitted it as a download here. That way anyone who wants to see the GenoHaradan encounter played out can see it. Forgive me if it doesn't live up to your expectations. The mod is still considered a "beta", so it probably still has some bugs. I may decide one day that I want to finish this and make it TSLRCM compatible (oh god the work!), but this way some form of the mod is out there.

I have included all of my source code, should someone desire to make the mod compatible with TSLRCM. You can also PM me, but don't count on an immediate response. :P

I (Exile007) give my permission for the contents of the GenoHaradan mod to be altered, enhanced, or whatever as long as I am cited as the original author of the mod and credited as such.

You can just copy and paste that in your readme if you want to tweak the mod and release it.

I wish I could have stayed with this long enough to complete it to the very end, but hey, this is better than nothing right?

*ducks to avoid Internet haters*

Btw there was never any team (other than Beta Testers). Just me and a lot of free time. Unfortunately college kidnapped free time, so I was lost. :P

Folks using TSLRCM or using many other content mods should keep the above in mind before installing.

Enjoy!

The GenoHaradan beta 0.9 (http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/265-the-genoharadan/)
Page: 1 of 1