Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Another CPU ability thread

Page: 1 of 1
 Zeami
10-16-2011, 7:24 PM
I just bought this computer for the simple fact that I want to play TOR on it's highest settings for years to come. Recently on TOR forums, I was advised that it probably won't live up to the ability out of the box because of the G Card.

iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme AMD AM571SLC
AMD Phenom II x6 1055T (2.8GHz) processor
NVIDIA GTX550i 1GB (HDMI) graphics
1TB Serial ATA-III hard disk drive
4GB DDR3-1333Mhz RAM
Window 7 Home Premium
700 Watt XION PSU
Water Cooled

Is there anything I can do (other than overclocking) to speed this rig up.

I was told the Ram is sufficient and that the GTX 550 is not.

Silly me for thinking the GTX 580 is tops and the GTX 550 is better than the GTX 460...

Any insight would be appriciated.
 Jeff
10-16-2011, 9:10 PM
While the GTX 550 is below the 460 in specs/benchmarks, it will still run TOR perfectly fine I'm sure. You don't need a high end machine to play this game. You can check the system requirements here: http://www.starwarsmmo.net/system-requirements/)

Can you link the thread where you were told that card wouldn't be good enough? Since I haven't played the game on my own system I don't know how high the graphics settings would go but just based on the minimum requirements I have to believe you could play on max.

Welcome, btw!
 Zeami
10-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Thank you for the welcome!

I can't link the quote yet (on a government computer and can't go to any gaming website). SW TOR is flagged for some reason (guess they think I won't be productive here lol).

I wasn't looking to just play, I want shadows and rippling grass and lighting perfection. (I really want the realism to shine and not see the "cartoony"-smooth-render that was wow.

"but just based on the minimum requirements I have to believe you could play on max." - that's what I wanted to hear. I guess it's going to just come down to me giving it a shot.... 58 days out.
 Tommycat
12-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Thank you for the welcome!

I can't link the quote yet (on a government computer and can't go to any gaming website). SW TOR is flagged for some reason (guess they think I won't be productive here lol).

I wasn't looking to just play, I want shadows and rippling grass and lighting perfection. (I really want the realism to shine and not see the "cartoony"-smooth-render that was wow.

"but just based on the minimum requirements I have to believe you could play on max." - that's what I wanted to hear. I guess it's going to just come down to me giving it a shot.... 58 days out.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html)
I'm running a Radeon HD 6670 and I'm able to hit max settings, and keep framerates above 30 at nearly all times(save lag and extremes).

The GTX 550 rates higher than that.

I was able to run the game on a GeForce 8600 GT. though I wouldn't recommend it... ugh. getting 7-19 FPS max was rough.
 decalibron
12-04-2011, 5:12 PM
hm...just as a side note: where does the GeForce G210M with 512 MB dedicated RAM rate in all of this? That's what i've got, and i'm trying to get an idea.
 Lynk Former
12-04-2011, 6:52 PM
1. Go to this site: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/) using either Internet Explorer or Google Chrome (since it requires ActiveX support) and make sure the browser you're using isn't blocking the plugin.

2. On the drop down, find "Star Wars: The Old Republic" (it's the last Star Wars title on the list)

3. Click "Can you run it?" and wait for the results.
 decalibron
12-05-2011, 9:43 PM
thanks! that was extremely helpful. I went and checked like 9 different games i've had my eye on as well :P
 Knight Of Honor
12-14-2011, 7:24 PM
I have a laptop computer and im curious if i could play TOR on it.

Dell Inspiron 1545

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- Pentium Dual-Core CPU - 2.3 GHz
- 3 GB RAM

- Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330
Graphic Memory: 512
Memory Type: DDR2

So.. is this sufficient to run the game?
Page: 1 of 1