Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Which is the max number of characters on a localstring

Page: 1 of 1
 Krommerman
10-15-2011, 1:54 PM
I'd like to add some pads on TSL with the story of great Jedi and Sith, just to add some flavour to the game. I've always missed the possibility of reading books that you had on oldies like Arcanum, Planescape or Fallout, but not on modern RPG's like TSL. So I just wanted to know what is the max number of characters you can insert on a localstring inside a dlg file.

Thanxs:):)
 Qui-Gon Glenn
10-15-2011, 2:16 PM
16 chars

EDIT: oops, thought you were referring to filenames/resrefs... Not sure about how much you can cram in a dialog string. Are there no notes on this in tk's readme?
 Krommerman
10-15-2011, 3:05 PM
I didn't found anything. At first I thought that they should be 255 characters long, the standart of a memo field, but it seems that they can be bigger. The idea is adding several pads on the Jedi Temple mod of Hassat Hunter. It is the Jedi archive, so I think that pads with the history of the order and the republic will be a nice addition... And it's a good starting point to someone who is still learning to mod this game.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
10-15-2011, 8:38 PM
^^^ Interesting, and you make a good point :)

I seem to remember that 255 is displayed as the maximum in the editor, but I don't edit dialogs too much - the logic of the system eludes me for the most part :doh:

I suggest you push the limit in increments. I assume that you already have the "books" written? If so, you can cut and paste various size chunks beyond 255 chars into the editor, and then game test. Try 300, 350, 400 chars etc.... Or just go maximum and work backwards... You will find out a nice little bit of information, that I think would be a valuable addition to the communal knowledge!

It reminds me of how I started into robe skinning... I got a skin loaded into gimp, and not knowing really what the heck I was looking at, I overlayed a grid and at every vertice I put a capitalized alphabetic mark; A,B,C,D etc were done in white, and when I put that robe in game I could then tell exactly what was what.... Marius Fett was quite helpful in that project, IIRC ;)
 Krommerman
10-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Good idea! I'm going to try that and post here the result when I found.
 Krommerman
10-18-2011, 6:18 AM
Well, as far as today I haven't been able to test that because I'm unable to place objects on a map. I used the whereamI band to get some coordinates, then I created a custom container and added a pad inside, then modified the .git file of the area and put the 3 files on the folder override. But it doesn't work. I've searched the forum for a tutorial for containers placing but found nothing useful, can somebody help me, please?:confused:
 R2-X2
10-18-2011, 4:28 PM
It's been far too long since I did stuff like that, but aren't you supposed to create a .mod file of your module? (Once more, Marius Fett: consult his tutorials for module building)
 Krommerman
10-18-2011, 5:58 PM
Yes, I've tried two ways, putting the files on the override folder and repacking the .mod with the files I have modified. Neither way worked. I'm downloading the video tutorials of canderis about module creation now. They seem quite good, and I hope the information I need will be on them, but it's gonna take a while Ў2gb! Despite this I believe they would give me the general idea of moding I need of this game, and since I can model in 3d (gmax) and can write code(I use java and visual basic often) I hope I'll begin to do things soon!:)
 R2-X2
10-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Oh, I'd never seen the tutorial videos before... time to learn :P
 Krommerman
10-19-2011, 11:26 AM
They're quite good. I'm now watching the ones about object placing and they're an excellent starting point for a noob.
 R2-X2
10-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I used Marius Fett's also very well done and friendly supported ( ;) ) tutorial for starting and that tutorial also was the thing that made me start modding... 3 years ago...
 Krommerman
10-19-2011, 1:10 PM
I used Marius Fett's also very well done and friendly supported ( ;) ) tutorial
I'll give it a try... If I find it:)

... was the thing that made me start modding... 3 years ago...

I'm probably a little late to start modding this game, since it's already...what, 5-6 years old? I don't know; but on the other hand you can see mods for games like fallout 1 still coming out, so why don't give kotor a try?

ON topic: The max lenght for a string on a gff file is 253 chars, so it's a memo 255 less 1 start and 1 end markers I think.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
10-19-2011, 1:36 PM
ON topic: The max lenght (sic) for a string on a gff file is 253 chars, so it's a memo 255 less 1 start and 1 end markers I think.So, the editor didn't really lie to us...

Yes, these games are old! It is never to late to start modding them though, if the reason you are modding them is your own personal enjoyment! If you want to gain web-fame, yes these games are way too old to start modding :p
 Krommerman
10-19-2011, 3:21 PM
...If you want to gain web-fame, yes these games are way too old to start modding :p

Who knows! Maybe I'll made the uber-super-duper mod and lucasarts will realize that they really need my creative genius!!:):)

Seriously, I like modding games mostly for my own enjoyment, I think that I've spent more time modding games than actually playing with them since I bought my first pc-game on the early 90's :). But it's always nice to find that somebody else besides yourself is going to play with your mod.:)
 R2-X2
10-19-2011, 3:46 PM
If this would be facebook, I'd give a *like* to the last three comments ;) But as it isn't, what I'm really happy about, I think I'll say something at least a bit on topic: As 253 may be a little bit to short, why not simply create datapads that give you a new journal entry with your story or whatever wisdom may be found in such a book you're thinking about when you collect them?
 Krommerman
10-19-2011, 4:27 PM
...why not simply create datapads that give you a new journal entry with your story or whatever wisdom may be found in such a book you're thinking about when you collect them?

Wow, good idea!:thmbup1: I'm going to test that. I'm not sure if the strings of *.jrl's are of a different class than the ones of the gff files, we'll see :)
 R2-X2
10-19-2011, 4:29 PM
 Krommerman
10-20-2011, 2:31 PM
No luck, it seems that all strings are 253 chars, even those of the journal. I'm beginning to create the pads and adding them to the game. The idea is putting half of them on the Daantoine Enclave and the other half on the Sith Academy at Korriban. I'll add some computers too, to make things more interesting. :)
 R2-X2
10-25-2011, 4:58 PM
I just can't believe that it's all limited to 253, because you find some really long texts on certain datapads... for example the Rancor Trio Datapad or Calo Nords trophies, both on Taris, but at the time I'm writing this I begin to doubt that they're really that long... going to check that!
 Krommerman
11-01-2011, 4:15 PM
I just can't believe that it's all limited to 253, because you find some really long texts on certain datapads... for example the Rancor Trio Datapad or Calo Nords trophies, both on Taris, but at the time I'm writing this I begin to doubt that they're really that long... going to check that!

Yep, I thought the same, but trust me, they're 253 lenght. I checked several pads and dialog files and made some tests too, and the game stops showing anything after char 253. I'll have to split my books between several pads, but let me know if you find something useful:)
Page: 1 of 1