Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

having a few problems modding

Page: 1 of 1
 RB_Kandy
09-29-2011, 12:52 AM
It's been many years since I've modded KOTOR, and even when I did mod it, I didn't do much more than amp up the power of grenades, mines, and make a few custom forearm bands. But I've forgotten how all this works, and I'm having a tough time getting back into modding.

Here's my problem, I can't use the "giveitem" feature because pressing the "~" key won't open the console. I've done the enablecheats=1. It would appear to be a quirk with windows vista and win7, many bioware games won't run console on vista/win7.

I am running KOTOR1 version 1.0.0.14, on Windows7 64-bit, on an Intel based laptop with US-english keyboard.
If anyone knows a work around for the tilde key problem not bringing up console, I'd appreciate it.

So until then, I have to find another way of putting items into the game.
When using KOTOR tool(v1.0.2210.16738) I can put items on party members and in their inventory before encountering them in game, by placing the modified character UTC file in override, and I can get existing items that way, but I don't know how to ad custom items (items not in the default kotor directory).
With mission (p_mission.utc) I can go to inventory and just drag and drop things from the "Game Items" tab. But when clicking on the "Custom Items" tab, I just get a blank panel. I can't help but feel like there must be some way to direct KOTOR Tool to another directory where I save all my custom items, but I don't know how. If there is any way of doing this, I desperately need to know because this would actually solve multiple issues I am having.

Oh yeah, my game is located in C:/program files/lucasarts/swkotor/
And KOTOR tool is located in C:/program files(x86)/kotortool
In the The LucasArts/swkotor the save game folder (and probably others) are only found after clicking "show compatibility files" I plead ignorance on how that works and where the files are really located in win7. I just figured I'd mention it in case it had any relevance to any of my problems.

Another method of getting custom items into the game is through save game editor, but pretty much the same problem, I can ad preexisting items to my character and party, but not new custom items.

Another, and very complicated method I am working on is putting these items in a placable via scripting. I really don't know anything about scripting. I remember doing it 4 years ago when I got into modding, I just copied and pasted an example with the "void main" stuff and changed the damage rate on grenades. I don't even have a compiler, I'll have to look for one again.

I thought about just putting the items on a vender to sell, but with KOTOR tool there's that problem of not knowing how to get unique items added to the list of things you can drag and drop.

So to summarize: need to find a work-around/fix to the console not working on win7, and I need to figure out how to add unique (custom) items to KOTOR Tool's directory.
 Fastmaniac
10-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Well,

I can't give you any advice on the console part, but did you install the game according to the Vista/Win 7 instructions posted by Q?
(Link (http://lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2562645&postcount=2))

To the giveitem part: I think Kotor Tool scans the override folder for custom items, but I'm not sure. If it doesn't: There are two possibilities (that I can think of right now) to add custom items to your inventory.

It is however required to add the items to the override directory.

1. Scripting: A possibility is to write a script to add items and (at least that's what I did) assigning the script to a (custom) conversation.

void main()
{
CreateItemOnObject("CUSTOM_ITEM", GetFirstPC(), 1, 0);
}

2. KSE: The other possibility is to download and start KSE (Link (http://starwarsknights.com/tools.php)). Go to: Your Savegame -> Inventory. A list will appear. Custom Items should be highlighted in red.

Hope that'll help you ;)

Fastmaniac
 RB_Kandy
10-01-2011, 7:02 PM
you're right, the KSE does allow me to add custom items, and the items are written in red. I always assumed that red items meant "equipped already" as the blue items meant "already in inventory" and I never actually looked close enough at the titles to notice my custom items. I feel so silly.
Anyhow thanks, you've been a big help :)
Yeah one day I'll get around to scripting, but for now I just want to finish re-learning how to do some basic mods and test them out, then I'll worry about scripting them into the game when I am satisfied with the custom items.
Again, thanks :)
 Fastmaniac
10-02-2011, 7:59 AM
no problem ;) if you need any further help in that area (scripting, dialog) just keep asking ;)

Fastmaniac
Page: 1 of 1