Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A Total Conversion, or my other mods?

Page: 1 of 1
 Canderis
07-11-2011, 12:04 AM
As you all may know, i have many WIPs that have been progressing very slowly. But i have always had a Total Conversion mod idea that takes place during the mandalorian wars that I have always wanted to make. I had, at one point, researched the mod so much that i had the entire mod planned out, as what characters are important, what modules to use for each planet, and much more. And recently i have wondered, if i should return to this idea, and i was wondering what you guys think.
So the question i have for you all today, is should i drop my other mods, and work on making a total conversion, and possibly picking up my other mods after it, or if i should just finish up my mods i have started and fade away slowly into modding history?
 LDR
07-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Take on the larger project first, is what I say.
 redrob41
07-11-2011, 1:09 AM
It's too hard to vote without knowing all the mods that you'd include under "other". If there aren't too many, I'd say finish what you've got started; then start a TC ;). Never fade away, always go out on a high note! :D

Personally, I went the other way by jumping on board with RoR. All my TSL mod ideas have been rolled into RoR, so everyone will eventually get to see them all at once.
 Darth InSidious
07-11-2011, 6:04 AM
Finish up your other mods. On no account fall into the bottomless pit. :p
 DarthParametric
07-11-2011, 11:15 AM
As someone who started and has been involved with what essentially amounts to a TC for DA since Xmas 2009, my advice concerning a TC mod is only start one if you can commit to spending the next few years of your life working on it. 95% of TCs or other mods of similar scope die out because of the crazy amount of work involved.
 Canderis
07-11-2011, 12:27 PM
believe me DP i know. i have been involved with a few tcs and i have seen enough die. i have been here a while ya know.
 darthtyren
07-11-2011, 2:33 PM
I agree with many others. I'm new to the modding business, but I have the sense to finish up what I began before moving on to other projects - especially big ones.
 Dak Drexl
07-11-2011, 6:36 PM
At least finish Nimia :cool:
 Canderis
07-11-2011, 9:12 PM
All my WIPS have been on hold for a while. Nimia, for the people bug, CG for module issues, helos because people dont show up. I think thats it... None of them have been progressing, and its making me mad, and i just cannot fix the issues.
 logan23
07-11-2011, 9:16 PM
I saw this post while I was on my lunch break at work and it got me thinking…..not just this but the question in general about taking on a SC/TC or Large Story Mod….

Below is a list of questions for you to ask your self when it comes to a SC/TC or Large Story Mod of this scope.

These questions are meant for anyone thinking of building a mod this size.

You must be willing to do 98 percent of all the work.

You will need to do the scripting.

You will need to be able to create uti, waypoints, triggers, utcs, utp, utd and place them in game along with making them function ingame.

You need to be able to connect modules together.

Expect the only help you will get is advice, some tip on scripting and some skinners.

This will take 2 years to build.

You will have to make sacrifices where you choose to mod over doing real life things.

You will be doing all the boring and tedious things like lips and managing all your assets in the game.

You will need to be able give up cool ideas due to production time or derail your game’s story.

You must be prepared to just use original kotor1/2 modules as is or re skinned.

Human Voice Over is an option, Alien VO and every NPC having dlg of some type is not.

Make sure there are many choices in the game and multiple endings. If the story has one ending then make it into a fan fiction.

When you lose interest with the project or get frustrated you will still continue with the same passion and dedication you had in the beginning.

I repeat this will take 2 years and you must be prepared to do the project on your own!

These are some quick questions for anyone thinking of doing a Mod of this size.

If you can answer yes to all these truthfully then go make your large scale mod.

Again this is for anyone who would like to build a mod this size.

I know Canderis is a talented modder so many of these questions above I know he knows how to do but are you willing to sacrifice real life at times for modding, this is the type of commitment is needed for a project this size.

What ever you decide I back you 100 percent , your a great modder!:thmbup1:

Logan
 Sithspecter
07-11-2011, 11:32 PM
All my WIPS have been on hold for a while. Nimia, for the people bug, CG for module issues, helos because people dont show up. I think thats it... None of them have been progressing, and its making me mad, and i just cannot fix the issues.

Man, that's just the thing with KotOR modding, there's problems that you are going to encounter. Trust me, I know. 3 years ago, nobody thought that a Revan's cape was possible. It had been pretty much drummed into everybody's head that it could not be done, but still, I worked to try to find a way to do it, and I did. The problems seemed insurmountable, but I found a way. If you are having problems with your current modules, this is normal, you are just going to have to work it out. I think though, that if you just start over on a clean slate, you will still run into problems once more.
 TimBob12
07-12-2011, 3:35 AM
I saw this post while I was on my lunch break at work and it got me thinking…..not just this but the question in general about taking on a SC/TC or Large Story Mod….

Below is a list of questions for you to ask your self when it comes to a SC/TC or Large Story Mod of this scope.

These questions are meant for anyone thinking of building a mod this size.

You must be willing to do 98 percent of all the work.

You will need to do the scripting.

You will need to be able to create uti, waypoints, triggers, utcs, utp, utd and place them in game along with making them function ingame.

You need to be able to connect modules together.

Expect the only help you will get is advice, some tip on scripting and some skinners.

This will take 2 years to build.

You will have to make sacrifices where you choose to mod over doing real life things.

You will be doing all the boring and tedious things like lips and managing all your assets in the game.

You will need to be able give up cool ideas due to production time or derail your game’s story.

You must be prepared to just use original kotor1/2 modules as is or re skinned.

Human Voice Over is an option, Alien VO and every NPC having dlg of some type is not.

Make sure there are many choices in the game and multiple endings. If the story has one ending then make it into a fan fiction.

When you lose interest with the project or get frustrated you will still continue with the same passion and dedication you had in the beginning.

I repeat this will take 2 years and you must be prepared to do the project on your own!

These are some quick questions for anyone thinking of doing a Mod of this size.

If you can answer yes to all these truthfully then go make your large scale mod.

Again this is for anyone who would like to build a mod this size.

I know Canderis is a talented modder so many of these questions above I know he knows how to do but are you willing to sacrifice real life at times for modding, this is the type of commitment is needed for a project this size.

What ever you decide I back you 100 percent , your a great modder!:thmbup1:

Logan

I suggest putting this in its own thread and putting it in the General tutorials section with a link to it in the Forum Rules. It might cut down on the number of posts we have to tell newbies to pack it in :P
 darthtyren
07-12-2011, 8:33 AM
Man, that's just the thing with KotOR modding, there's problems that you are going to encounter. Trust me, I know. 3 years ago, nobody thought that a Revan's cape was possible. It had been pretty much drummed into everybody's head that it could not be done, but still, I worked to try to find a way to do it, and I did. The problems seemed insurmountable, but I found a way. If you are having problems with your current modules, this is normal, you are just going to have to work it out. I think though, that if you just start over on a clean slate, you will still run into problems once more.

I believe I read this a few days ago: "Do you see obstacles as problems or as opportunities?" The best way to know the answer is how you react to it.
 TimBob12
07-12-2011, 2:01 PM
Hey it actually Happened :D
 Canderis
07-12-2011, 9:07 PM
Well i reached a decision. Im not going to say what it is quite yet. But it satisfies my want to use my amazing plot, and it lets me no have to commit fully to a total conversion. Stay tuned. I plan to announce my idea once i get the first scene working...
 Darth333
07-12-2011, 9:19 PM
In light of all the above posts and personal experience (not that I've ever thought to do a TC mod...but only maybe 1/10th of it) I'd say DI said it all: Finish up your other mods. On no account fall into the bottomless pit. :p
and if you think you might have the patience and the commitment, then, still do what DI said...some of these "other mods" might still be incorporated into a bigger mod later on...or maybe this is what you have on your mind already...
 LDR
07-12-2011, 9:41 PM
Also, doing those other mods could show you how to solve certain problems and you could increase your skills in certain areas of modding, instead of blindly rushing into a TC.

And, when I said above to take on the largest project, I meant the largest project that isn't a TC.
Page: 1 of 1