Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

female android and yet another Darth Talon

Page: 1 of 1
 Bullobrien
05-18-2011, 12:24 AM
2 things I have been playing with.

1st project I decided to make a female looking android model for Kotor. Something metropolis esq. Not sure where most people would want to use this. I replaced HK47 with it in my current game. I will admit the voice and visual combination is a touch creepy. I think it would be fun to replace T3 with it but I could not get the head to show up right.

But if I am going to package this up where would most people use it? Just wondering. Second thing I was wondering about it was the tint. This one has a blue tint to it with blue accent lines. I made the master so it could be changed to pretty much any color combination... Which color combinations would people like to see?

Here are the screenies

Front (http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7729/droidfront.png)
Back (http://imageshack.us/m/607/7679/droidfront.jpg)
Side (http://imageshack.us/m/863/8987/droid3quaters.jpg)
Front closer
(http://imageshack.us/m/848/8485/droidtorso.jpg)
Back closer (http://imageshack.us/m/151/7727/droidtorsoback.jpg)
Face close up (http://imageshack.us/m/687/194/droidfclose.jpg)

This uses the scout model and underwear texture as the starting point which means it is just for Kotor at the moment. I think I could do one reasonably easily for TSL tho.

Oh and BTW... when I first replaced HK47 with it got this:

visible droid headgear (http://imageshack.us/m/705/5122/droidheadgear.jpg):eek):

I went back and used the null model to make them not show but it took me a while to even understand what I was seeing. :)

2nd project. While working on the torgruta skin i realized how close it was in function to the previous darth talon skins that were out there. Those were nice but I always thought the body was wrong, so i redid it from scratch using the soldier body from kotor which is much more athletic than the twilik body. While i was at it i redid the head skin from scratch as well. I tried to make the tattoos on the face and torso/abdomen as close as I could make them match the drawings i had seen. Her face markings in the comics are asymmetrical so I could not over come that hurdle. Just like the one above I am not sure where people might want this. Probably as PC, but maybe as other replacements. So where would people want to use it?

Here are the picts

Front (http://imageshack.us/m/153/7446/talonfront.jpg)
Back (http://imageshack.us/m/863/5149/talonback.jpg)
Front Close (http://imageshack.us/m/543/2948/talonfclose.jpg)
Side (http://imageshack.us/m/217/2817/talonsideclose.jpg)

I had to hide the seams of the clothes on the soldier underwear model. I think that worked pretty well covering them with chains. The soldier model is only in kotor as far as I can tell so this one would need a new body model for TSL. I will probably do that eventually too.
 Zhaboka
05-18-2011, 12:54 AM
WOW! That android is amazing! Great, great job!

The Talon is good, but the lekus seem disproportionately dark to the rest of the skin.
 Totenkopf
05-18-2011, 1:07 AM
You could always replace Juhani. That seems like a safe bet as most people seem to dislike her for whatever reason. Also, does the droid head have the face hooks that allow for things like shades/sunglasses? Talon could be both the PC and probably a replacement.....again.....for Juhani. Perhaps you could work her in as a recruit type possibility for a portion of the game.....in which case it could be anyone.
 Bullobrien
05-18-2011, 1:47 AM
You could always replace Juhani. That seems like a safe bet as most people seem to dislike her for whatever reason. Also, does the droid head have the face hooks that allow for things like shades/sunglasses? Talon could be both the PC and probably a replacement.....again.....for Juhani. Perhaps you could work her in as a recruit type possibility for a portion of the game.....in which case it could be anyone.

The droid head is the standard female caucasian head #5 so the hooks should work fine
 Trench
05-18-2011, 2:42 AM
Downright epic work on the Android (Femdroid?), mate!
She just needs a smexeh blaster to match.
 TimBob12
05-18-2011, 3:01 AM
Maybe if you put some glow on the blue lines it would add that more technical look.

Although they look awesome.
 Bullobrien
05-18-2011, 8:25 AM
Maybe if you put some glow on the blue lines it would add that more technical look.

Although they look awesome.

Yes that would be nice. I am not sure how to do that. Is there a tutorial on that somewhere?
 Bullobrien
05-18-2011, 8:34 AM
WOW! That android is amazing! Great, great job!

The Talon is good, but the lekus seem disproportionately dark to the rest of the skin.

I do see what you mean. and it is somewhat on purpose. One of the problems with the Kotor Twilik head model vs the TSL one is that the Lekku hangs between the breasts. This makes them blend in a bit much when there is skin underneath vs clothing. So i tried to darken it up some to make it stand out. Not sure what to do about it. I will see what I can do.
 redrob41
05-18-2011, 11:35 AM

Yes that would be nice. I am not sure how to do that. Is there a tutorial on that somewhere?

you would have to make an alpha1 channel that uses black lines everywhere you want the glow to be, and white everywhere else. Then you'd use CM_Bright. The downside of doing this, is that you wouldn't be able to use CM_Baremetal, so she wouldn't be shiny anymore.
 Canderis
05-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Wow.
Nuff said.
 Xarwarz
05-18-2011, 2:00 PM
I have to say that is an excellent female android.
 Rinku
05-19-2011, 8:48 AM
Very nice. I can't wait to see more.
 Dak Drexl
05-19-2011, 12:47 PM
I've always wanted to replace G0-T0 with a male android version of his "human" model. Maybe you could do it :xp: I think it would be cool. But anyway your skins are very nice. Talon is badass, I think she's better than the existing Talons out there. The android is very cool and unique too. Nice job!
 Darth InSidious
05-19-2011, 2:19 PM
Nice work. Look forward to seeing more from you. :D
 LDR
05-19-2011, 7:37 PM
Your Talon looks sexy!!!!! Erm, she looks mighty fine, especially near those points of interest... :D

The android looks pretty good too. What is that floating thing above her head?
 harark1
05-19-2011, 7:39 PM
Just excellent, I'll download eiether when your done.

Edit: to lorddeathray, I believe what your referring to is the top of her ponytail.
 Bullobrien
05-22-2011, 3:18 PM
 TimBob12
05-22-2011, 3:33 PM
DOn't like the red one so much but I love the green one.
 Darth_Calo
05-22-2011, 4:10 PM
That android is something I had wanted for, a LONG time now, good job!
 harark1
05-22-2011, 5:53 PM
I say orignal blue is the best.
 Trench
05-22-2011, 6:49 PM
Here are some alternate colors for the droid

<links>

Tip on recoloring: It looks like you just adjusted to color balance. To make a good alternate color skin, use precision editing. Paint over certain parts, add a little variety. Don't stick with one shade or tone. And don't just paint over everything and expect everybody to jump at it,
 Bullobrien
05-23-2011, 2:04 AM
Tip on recoloring: It looks like you just adjusted to color balance. To make a good alternate color skin, use precision editing. Paint over certain parts, add a little variety. Don't stick with one shade or tone. And don't just paint over everything and expect everybody to jump at it,

Actually i created a layer with the color I was looking for and set it to "color" blending and then varied the opacity as necessary to get the effect I wanted then adjusted which other layers were either above or below the color layer to set which layers got the tint. Thus some of the layers in fact do not have the color. The ones I chose did. Since I have all the parts of the texture broken out separately by layer I can adjust them independently as needed. But I guess I could see how you might guess it was done the other way. This was just a quick way to get the various color variations into image form to get some additional feedback.
 DarthParametric
05-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Her face markings in the comics are asymmetrical so I could not over come that hurdle.You can overcome it if you remap the head so that it no longer mirrors the face. Not as efficient a use of texture space of course, but that's the price you pay.
 Bullobrien
05-23-2011, 3:01 PM
You can overcome it if you remap the head so that it no longer mirrors the face. Not as efficient a use of texture space of course, but that's the price you pay.

Oh! I had not thought about that. Yet another reason to force myself to learn gmax i suppose.
 redrob41
05-23-2011, 3:45 PM
I think that the monotone colour scheme is problematic and dull. Everything blends into itself. I find that the green one is the most interesting, simply because her eyes are a different colour, so they stand out. If you're going to use pinstriping on a car, usually they are different (like white stripes on a blue car; blue stripes on a blue car aren't dynamic enough).

My suggestion is to make the smooth "skin" parts one shade (like green), make the pinstripes another colour (like white, gold, purple, etc), make the "circuit board" parts of her joints another colour (like dark grey), and keep the eyes another colour (like the pinkish red you already have). There are a lot of examples in the vanilla armour textures which you can decide on the best colour palette combinations.

I think that if you keep these four different parts seperated with contrasting colour, it will really enhance the overall visual interest.
 Bullobrien
05-24-2011, 11:45 PM
I think that the monotone colour scheme is problematic and dull. Everything blends into itself. I find that the green one is the most interesting, simply because her eyes are a different colour, so they stand out. If you're going to use pinstriping on a car, usually they are different (like white stripes on a blue car; blue stripes on a blue car aren't dynamic enough).

My suggestion is to make the smooth "skin" parts one shade (like green), make the pinstripes another colour (like white, gold, purple, etc), make the "circuit board" parts of her joints another colour (like dark grey), and keep the eyes another colour (like the pinkish red you already have). There are a lot of examples in the vanilla armour textures which you can decide on the best colour palette combinations.

I think that if you keep these four different parts seperated with contrasting colour, it will really enhance the overall visual interest.

I agree. It was in the plans just had not implemented it yet.
Here are a few samples with the colors of the armor, lines and underlay different. The eyes i varied some but it really seems like red looks best for the eyes in everything except the red shade armor.

Green/white (http://imageshack.us/m/810/7945/greenwhite.jpg)
Green/Purple (http://imageshack.us/m/94/5377/greenpurple.jpg)
Red/Blue (http://imageshack.us/m/90/2661/redblue.jpg)
Blue/Yellow (http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5139/blueyellow.jpg)
Baremetal/green (http://imageshack.us/m/684/4330/baremetal.jpg)

There are a lot of possible variations. I find myself conflicted about just how many variations I might include.
 redrob41
05-25-2011, 12:34 PM
IMO, the ones that work the best are the:
original silver/cyan
green/white
bluish silver/yellow (except the eyebrows)

The red/cyan is ok, but the green/purple & baremetal/green don't really work for me.

The problem with all the eyebrows is that most of the stripes are colour with a black outline, but the brows are black with a colour outline. It just doesn't fit with the other stripes. Also, the black eyebrows look fuzzy like hair, and I'd think that an android would just have painted on stripes, with clean, straight edges.

Looking good :thumbsup:
 Bullobrien
05-25-2011, 4:24 PM
IMO, the ones that work the best are the:
original silver/cyan
green/white
bluish silver/yellow (except the eyebrows)

The red/cyan is ok, but the green/purple & baremetal/green don't really work for me.

The problem with all the eyebrows is that most of the stripes are colour with a black outline, but the brows are black with a colour outline. It just doesn't fit with the other stripes. Also, the black eyebrows look fuzzy like hair, and I'd think that an android would just have painted on stripes, with clean, straight edges.

Looking good :thumbsup:

Good point. I had been wondering about the eyebrows. My original thought process was the same "circuit board" cut out with the glowing areas around them which is why they look black in the middle but I think I agree with you that that leaves something to be desired. I will experiment with some other eyebrow options.
 harark1
05-25-2011, 4:25 PM
My advice to not being able to decide how many variations to include, keep adding more until you get sick of it. Then no one will be dissipointe that you cut there favorie.
 Darth Calculus
05-27-2011, 6:21 PM
Wow! That *has* to be the most detailed and most accurate version of Darth Talon I've seen to date! Awesome work! :thmbup1:

My suggestion is that you make her into a "Mission tweak" mod like the one by Darth Parametric here: http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Mission_Vao_as_Darth_Talon;94765)

I use that one myself and love it but have always wished for more detailed textures (tattoo- and clothes-wise) such as yours. It'd be great if you did that! Another thought is the "Uthura Ban as Darth Talon" approach. It has been done before by Prime, but, once again, I think your model combo and detailed skin is the best so far. You should also think about the PC replacement suggested by Totenkopf. Any idea of when we can get our hands on that Talon?

Once again, great work! :D
 Blix
05-30-2011, 6:46 PM
Both are really amazing! :)
 darth-me
06-10-2011, 1:13 PM
Excellent work here, your skins are really looking wonderful!
On the Android, i think the Blue/Yellow works best of all the colours made so far. My three favourite colour schemes so far are:
- Blue / Yellow - could do with work on the eyebrows as mentioned, but that would be a good idea on all skins.
- Original Colour Scheme - Maybe more contrast between the blue and silver?
- Baremetal / Green - I dont know if this is possible but it might help if the 'baremetal' looked slightly less polished - not necissarily battle scars or rust but a rougher, tougher metal look might work quite well. Obviously you and redrob know more about skinning than me so maybe im talking rubbish.

As for Darth Talon, that is simply an amazing skin! It is a shame about the symmetry problems with KoToR, but it is easily better than any other Talon skin ive seen. I always like using the YuthuraBan as Darth Talon mod - she's an interesting character with a sexy voice and attitude that just fits a Talon skin. She's not too minor or too major a character which means we see the skin enough to be worth the effort.
 Bullobrien
06-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Hey there folks. I need a little help. I am working on packaging the Darth Talon mod as a PC as my first attempt. I followed the tutorial that Darkkender did, but when I put the files in the override folder and start a new game the head shows up as missing. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I would like to send the files to someone to see if they could see what I did wrong. Anyone willing?
 Canderis
06-23-2011, 12:05 AM
I can check tomorrow once I get off work.
 Rtas Vadum
06-23-2011, 2:31 AM
Hey there folks. I need a little help. I am working on packaging the Darth Talon mod as a PC as my first attempt. I followed the tutorial that Darkkender did, but when I put the files in the override folder and start a new game the head shows up as missing. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I would like to send the files to someone to see if they could see what I did wrong. Anyone willing?

You might want to check this tutorial as well:
http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2608341#post2608341)

Fantastic work, I have to say. :)
 redrob41
06-23-2011, 2:16 PM
what are the names of your head .mdl and .tga? What entries have you put into heads.2da?
 Darth Calculus
06-23-2011, 3:17 PM
I was just about to suggest the same as redrob41. I had a similar issue once, and it was caused by a missing entry in the .2da file. The new head model to be applied wasn't specified there, and my Mission looked like the headless horseman! :D So maybe that's your glitch?
 Bullobrien
06-23-2011, 10:03 PM
I don't think i missed any 2da entries. I have checked several times and they seem right. I called the head mdx and texture files the following:

PFHD01.tga
PFHD01.mdl
PFHD01.mdx

the head.2da entries are as follows

Row Label Head Headtexvvve Headtexvve Headtexve Headtexe
150 PFHD01 PFHD01D PFHD01D3 PFHD01D2 PFHD01D1

I am sending the files to Canderis to take him up on his offer. Hoping he can see something I can't
 redrob41
06-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Did you hex edit the model to replace every instance of PFHC05 with PFHD01?
 Bullobrien
06-24-2011, 12:29 AM
No. I was not aware I needed to. Was not in the tutorial I looked at. Where might I find out how to do that?

Edit: WHy PFHC05? This is a female twilik head model.
 redrob41
06-24-2011, 4:05 PM
No. I was not aware I needed to. Was not in the tutorial I looked at. Where might I find out how to do that?

Edit: WHy PFHC05? This is a female twilik head model.

Oops. I was thinking the android head with the ponytail (she's based on the 5th Caucasian female right?).

To get a Twi'lek head in game, you'll have to rename the model and textures so that they have the same number of characters as the original files. Then you'll need to hex edit the mdl. You can google to find any free hex editor, and it should have a find and replace of some sort. If you rename it with a different number of characters, when you hex edit, problems can occur if the number of spaces in the whole model file is different.

Edit: check out this thread for a better explanation about number of characters and hex editing:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122562)
 Bullobrien
06-24-2011, 9:51 PM
ok that makes a lot of sense now. I tried this last night without success after you mentioned it but I did not think about the number of characters. I will rework the names and try again.

And yes that was the 5th caucasian head as a start point for the droid
 LordAkarixa
08-04-2011, 11:06 AM
why are the headgear invisible? and the gloves and belts?
 Bullobrien
10-01-2011, 8:52 PM
Hey folks. It has been a while since I posted. Life has gotten complicate and I am not really going to be in a position to package these things up. I am completely willing to hand the original files to anyone who wants to package them up right. I just don't have the time to make it happen. If anyone is interested just send me a PM and I will get you the files.
Page: 1 of 1