Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A problem with the glowwing armor effects

Page: 1 of 1
 Draezen
05-08-2011, 8:58 AM
Ok so i got this mod, that ads an old general robe :

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/High_Jedi_General_ObiWan_Kenobis_Robes;115643)

and i want to make the texture glossy in the armor parts, of course i made correct alpha channel editing and i created the corresponding txi file with the "envmaptexture CM_Baremetal" but whatever i do the texture is always shown as transparent one [the parts i edited in alpha channel in PS shows up as transparent ones]

Im out of ideas and i have no skills to edit the apperance.2da

One thing to remind you - this mod general armor uses the Darth_DeadMan's mod models for jedi robes:

http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Movie_Style_Jedi_Master_Robes;114827)

Im out of ideas how to make this damn texture glow like the typical armor, any help would be apreacieated...
 Fallen Guardian
05-08-2011, 10:38 AM
All right. So first you have to go open your appearance.2da file. (I know you said you have no skills but bare with me) Anyway so you open your appearance.2da file and scroll down to P_FEM or P_MAL something or other. Then you sideways scroll to the envmap collumn and as you can see every single word for the envmaps is DEFAULT. Change that to CM_Baremetal and that should do the trick.

Note: You may want to change all of them, or since you only use 1 PC head, just find your PC's apperance.2da lines (small medium and large) and change them.

I hope this helped, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
 Draezen
05-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Gosh and it was all that simple o.0
Thank you so much =)

Everything works great now [and to think i tried to do this for around 4 hours, i even tried to change the model properties in gmax.. well it seems the simplier solution works best in the end ^_^]
 Fallen Guardian
05-08-2011, 12:04 PM
No problem. Yeah, I've had times like that in modding. You sit there tearing your hair out, wondering what it could it be, but the answer is really so simple. Hope you have fun with your new robe:thmbup1:!
 Darth DeadMan
05-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Changing appearance.2da have one drawback - if you change envmap for PC which have alpha channel in head skins (like PMHC06 or Mira) it will look awfull. Having a metal-glossy plate in the hair isn't a good idea.
 Fallen Guardian
05-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I had that happen when I installed Brotherhood of Shadow for Kotor 1. PMHA05 had the glossy plate in its hair. I ended up just changing the .2da, but there has got to be a better way around this.
 redrob41
05-11-2011, 6:35 PM
changing the envmap column in appearance.2da will also make EVERY armour and robe use CM_Baremetal, even the ones that are supposed to use CM_Bright (light blue glow), or any other envmaps for any specific armour.

I think you were on a better track by using the .txi file, but you probably just had it named wrong. I can't remember off hand if it is should be named the model's name or the default texture's name (example PMBN.txi or PMBN01.txi). I'm not at home ATM, so I can't look up the exact names you'd need.

The problem with .txi files for robes or armours, is that it will change ALL the envmap for that one specific armour or robe type. It's not so much a problem for robes though, since none of the vanilla ones have any alpha channel, nor do they have an envmap. It only becomes a problem with modded robes. For instance, Darth Darkus' Armored Robes (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=202234)don't) use CM_Baremetal, but there are two that have ragged edges (he used the alpha channel to make part of the 'cape' transparent). When I made some shiny metal versions of those (with permission for RoR), I couldn't keep the ragged edge, since it started shining like metal instead.
Page: 1 of 1