Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lucas Arts Licenses Unreal 3 Engine

Page: 1 of 1
 TripHammer
04-28-2011, 10:29 AM
The most promising news I've heard so far for Battlefront 3. Lucas Arts has licensed the Unreal 3 engine. There's actually a number of stories about it:

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=lucas+arts+licenses+unreal+3+engine)

And if you're interested in a pretty good theory... listen to this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDBpIRXB4aE)

I know it's not confirmation of SWBF3.... but it ranks up there for something beyond the speculation.
 Bokken
04-28-2011, 12:19 PM
This does sound promising. It could also be just as strong an indicator for a Republic Commando sequel.

Really liked that video you linked to. I've been staring at bits and pieces of rumors for years, but never seen them all together at once.
 GeneralPloKoon
05-02-2011, 8:49 PM
It would be nice to be Battlefront related by I highly doubt it...:(
 TimBob12
05-08-2011, 4:49 PM
Could this be in prep for the NGP?
 Bokken
05-08-2011, 5:31 PM
Could this be in prep for the NGP?

God, I hope not.
 TimBob12
05-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I meant on top of the other consoles. Especially as the NGP has enough power to play PS3 games.

E3 less than a month though :D
 Alexrd
05-10-2011, 1:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDBpIRXB4aE)

I know it's not confirmation of SWBF3.... but it ranks up there for something beyond the speculation.

I thought it was being made, but didn't know by whom. Thanks for the video, by the way. One thing I was surprised to "learn" was that LucasArts was that dependable of The Old Republic. I mean, bankruptcy if the game is not sucessful? Really?
 TimBob12
05-10-2011, 4:26 PM
Just found this on the bf 3 forums.

Now I've been speculating and trying to put all the pieces together for a long, long time. I just havn't been able to crack the code, but then it finally hit me like a ton of Vibroswords! My theory is what if Spark Unlimited's unannounced game AND Rebellion's unannouced game is Battlefront III? Now I think I know how this could be. Spark Unlimited could be developing Star Wars: Battlefront III for the PS3, Xbox 360, and the PC, while Rebellion developes the handheld version of the game. So to me, through all the evidence I have found, this makes sense and gives me even more hope!

Just to throw something else into the mix :)
 Alexrd
05-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Just found this on the bf 3 forums.

Rebellion has an unannounced game?
 Bokken
05-11-2011, 1:04 PM
Rebellion has an unannounced game?

I don't think so...there's nothing about it on their site, and the only places I've seen it are from people without a listed source.
 Alexrd
05-11-2011, 1:25 PM
I don't think so...there's nothing about it on their site, and the only places I've seen it are from people without a listed source.

I thought so. Thanks for the info.
 TimBob12
05-19-2011, 5:02 PM
There was one on there end of last year that sort of outlined BF3 but seems to have dissapeared now.
 joesdomain
06-07-2011, 10:47 AM
E3 2011 is almost done and the only thing showcased was the stupid Star Wars The Old Republic video game for X-Box 360 and Star Wars Kinect for X-box 360. Lucasarts has something against PS3. I dislike online only video games. I am not a fan of using motion control devices. Where is the Star Wars Battlefront III and Star Wars The Force Unleashed III for PS3? I want a PS3 Star Wars video game that is set right before episode IV or during original trilogy period. No online only games!
 Alexrd
06-07-2011, 10:57 AM
E3 2011 is almost done

What? It began yesterday.

and the only thing showcased was the stupid Star Wars The Old Republic video game for X-Box 360

No. For PC.
 joesdomain
06-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Whatever system it is, PC only video game and online only! I have a PS3 and no internet connection so there are no future star wars video games coming out for me. With our luck we will have Lego Star Wars Clone Wars 2 and another Star Wars Clone Wars video game based on the 3-D animated tv series. Those games were so bad! It looked like they were made for kids under the age of 10.
 TimBob12
06-09-2011, 5:10 PM
LucasArts contract with TT Games ran out this year and has not yet been renewed.
 joesdomain
06-11-2011, 4:37 PM
What other storylines could star wars or Indiana Jones do. They have done the 6 movies of star wars and 4 indiana jones in lego style. They have done the clone wars lego style. The other thing that is left is more clone wars from content from 3-D clone wars tv series.

No other star wars games mentioned at E3. Just Star Wars The Old Republic for PC and Star Wars Kinect for X-box 360. Heck, they don't even have a Indiana Jones video game in development.

I want a Star Wars Battlefront 3 for PS3. No online game only!
 joesdomain
08-09-2011, 2:18 PM
Just saw the press release on July 20, 2011 on Spark Unlimited website. Here is a link to one of thoe jobs available for a new high profile 3rd person action/adventure game. It says on the job desscription high profile sci-fiction/ fantasy series and they need people who are familiar with unreal engine which ties in nciely with this spring's lucasarts press release of using unreal engine on next star wars video games.

It is either Star Wars Battlefront 3 or Star Wars The Force Unleashed 3 in my opinion.
Let's hope Star Wars Battlefront 3 is it!!! Please Lucasarts release a Battlefront 3 for PS3!

http://www.sparkunlimited.com/jobs_position_artFX.html)
 Jamps
08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
That sounds like a potential Battlefront sequel to me. I don't see why they would make TFU3 on the Unreal engine considering the current engine used is one of the big draws to the game. It would make more sense for it to be BF3.

I'm pretty sure Pandemic owned the rights to the engine used for the first two games, and everything that was used in the third one that never came will never be seen. Using a proven engine like Unreal makes perfect sense to me. Keep your fingers crossed!
 Bokken
08-10-2011, 1:13 AM
Still makes more sense to me for it to be a Republic Commando sequel, given the fact that RC was on Unreal Engine 2.
 Jamps
08-10-2011, 1:35 AM
Bokken, I thought the exact same thing when I first read this. However, when I saw the job posting was for an upcoming third-person game rather than an FPS, it seems improbable. I would love to see an RC sequel though.
 joesdomain
08-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Is republic commando a first person shooter game! I never was good at the whole concept of what is a 3rd person shooter verus first person. I assume Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 were 3rd person shooter video games. It is probably the main reason why I never bought a x-box due to republic commando being first person. I watch the trailer for it and thought it looked different. I hope it isn't a republic commando video game! That means PC and X-box 360 would get another exclusive video game and PS3 star wars fans get what? Another Lego star wars game or another clone wars video game based off the tv series! No more clone wars video games based off the tv series!!

I want Star Wars Battlefront III

P.S. I heard last year that at one point the battlefront III was going to be online only game. God help us if that is the case! I only play single player.
 Bokken
08-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Is republic commando a first person shooter game! I never was good at the whole concept of what is a 3rd person shooter verus first person. I assume Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 were 3rd person shooter video games.

Yes, Republic Commando is a first person shooter.

Difference: FPS is behind the eyes of the character, often seeing only the arms and gun. Sometimes you'll see the helmet, such as RC and Metroid.
TPS is over the shoulder, so to speak. You typically have an elevated rear view.

SWBF1 and 2 are both third person and first person; you can change it to fit your preference.
 joesdomain
08-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I thought I saw an option in the main menu of both battlefronts. I tried first person shooter I disliked it. I want to see all of my body in the video screen. Reminds me of Quake and Quake II. Those were addictive games when playing in high school. My friends only got me into it because I loved the Medal of Honor video games on PS1. Plus we found common ground in those games. I could not standing playing racing games like Grand Tursimo and Need for Speed series at least on PS1 and PS2. I am action/adventure and fighting video gamer only. I take that back! I loved Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds and it's expansion pack. The only PC video game I ever played.
 Jamps
08-15-2011, 2:55 PM
Has anyone considered that maybe the Unreal engine would be used for a new Jedi Knight game? The folks at Lucasarts have been quoted in the past saying they would like to bring back Kyle...
 jawathehutt
08-15-2011, 10:16 PM
I think it'll be a new podracing game
 joesdomain
08-16-2011, 4:27 PM
I hope not! Star Wars Super Bombard Racing was terrible. I thought they came out with a video game for PS1 or PS2 called Episode I Racer. I remember buying it back when I still played those games. Star Wars Battlefront I and II are the two top selling games of all time. Star Wars Galaxies was a cool idea but never really made them alot of money. Internet only games don't make enough money because it leaves a huge chunk of the gaming industry without a star wars game. (For example the people who only play single player games) I only play single player games. Never will buy Galaxies and won't buy Star Wars TOR. I am not buying Star Wars Kinect either.
 Jamps
08-16-2011, 6:10 PM
I hope not! Star Wars Super Bombard Racing was terrible. I thought they came out with a video game for PS1 or PS2 called Episode I Racer. I remember buying it back when I still played those games. Star Wars Battlefront I and II are the two top selling games of all time. Star Wars Galaxies was a cool idea but never really made them alot of money. Internet only games don't make enough money because it leaves a huge chunk of the gaming industry without a star wars game. (For example the people who only play single player games) I only play single player games. Never will buy Galaxies and won't buy Star Wars TOR. I am not buying Star Wars Kinect either.

I never had the opportunity to play the two Racer games they released for the PS2/3, but the original Racer was a phenomenal game. I would welcome a true remake rather than the Kinect mini game they are fronting.

I really enjoyed Star Wars Galaxies. At the time, it had some of the best graphics of any MMO out there and the community was actually a lot of fun. The quests and side-quests were also entertaining. A lot of folks also enjoyed the sandbox qualities to the game. While I don't plan on buying TOR at launch, it looks to be making Lucasarts and EA a lot of money. I guess we'll see!
 joesdomain
08-18-2011, 9:55 AM
Basically the people who have a PC and play online will be playing TOR. The people who have X-box 360 with a kinect will be playing Kinect game. What the heck happened to the PS3 customer? Lucasarts pretty much did not care about us. Not once have we gotten a star wars PS3 exclusive game. The only star wars games we got were ones that were released on multiplatforms like Star Wars The Force Unleashed I and it's sequel, Star Wars Lego the Complete Saga and Star Wars Lego III and Star Wars The Clone Wars Republic Heroes.

We did get a boost this week. I read an internet article on theforce.net that says Sony is reducing the cost of 160GB PS3 to $249.99 and 320 GB PS3 to $299.99 because of Star Wars Complete Saga coming out on blu-ray on September 16, 2011 in U.S.
 Alexrd
08-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Basically the people who have a PC and play online will be playing TOR.

But not everyone who has a PC plays online. I won't pay to play a game.
 Bokken
08-18-2011, 12:26 PM
But not everyone who has a PC plays online. I won't pay to play a game.

Exactly. I play the free multiplayer for games that I own, but I am never going to pay for a game more than once. Then there's the fact that not all PC's are created equal, and some people won't even be able to run TOR. Take any game for any console and you'll be able to play it, but I certainly won't be able to play SWBF3 if it comes out.

Basically the people who have a PC and play online will be playing TOR. The people who have X-box 360 with a kinect will be playing Kinect game. What the heck happened to the PS3 customer? Lucasarts pretty much did not care about us. Not once have we gotten a star wars PS3 exclusive game.

"Playing online" isn't quite that simple. A good number of people, like me, simply choose to play multiplayer. As for the Xbox 360 users...what if they don't own a Kinect? LucasArts isn't neglecting the PS3. SONY just prefers to have its own companies and partners working on games for their system. So game companies that formerly made SONY exclusive games either switched to the Xbox or started making their games multiplatform.
 joesdomain
08-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Has a single player PS3 Star Wars video gamer I feel neglected by Lucasarts! I think alot of PS3 users feel the same way. We never got Republic Commando or KOTR 1 or 2 and they all came out for Microsoft brands. Makes me think Lucasarts favors them and doesn't care about the non-microsoft users. I dislike PC games myself just because you have to buy a brand new computer when a new game comes out because your PC doesn't meet the requirements. PS3 gives you the option to download software updates to it's harddrive when you put a PS3 video game in it assuming you have an old software. That is why I love PS3. I don't have to go online to download software updates or pay extra money for physical upgrades.
 Bokken
08-23-2011, 11:11 AM
PC games don't require you to buy a brand new computer all the time. I'm exclusively a PC gamer and my computer hails from 2004 with only a video card upgrade. If you're really that sad that you "never got Republic Commando or KOTOR 1 and 2" then I'm quite sure that you could easily play them on your current machine, given their age. And you can't think that LucasArts is prejudiced against you. Otherwise, I'd complain that they aren't supporting people without high-end computers.
 joesdomain
08-26-2011, 1:32 PM
I just read on theforce.net that Lucasarts is developing a RPG Star Wars video game after Star Wars The Old Republic. Star Wars Battlefront isn't a RPG so that is definitely not Star Wars Battlefront III. I am wondering if it Knights of the Old Republic III. I don't know of any other Star Wars RPG other than Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and it's sequel. They could be doing a whole new star wars game not based off KOTR series.

Isn't Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series and Republic Commando first person shooter type video game?
 jawathehutt
09-28-2011, 2:13 AM
Probably just endless expansions for TOR. They have their cow, now they will milk it
 joesdomain
10-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Don't forget Star Wars Galaxies, their first star wars MMO is permanently shutting down in December, 2011. At least that is what a guy at work told me who is a star wars fan. Lucasarts basically killed The Force Unleashed 3 in my opinion in order for the concentrate on Star Wars The Old Republic for PC and Star Wars Kinect for Microsft X-box 360 and Star Wars The Clone Wars Adventures game. All three video games just so happen to be played on Microsoft brand console or PC. I hink the powers in charge at Lucasarts are Pro-Microsoft and Anti-Sony PS3. I don't care about hand helds like Sony PSP or whatever Nintendo DS. The handhelds have recieved the last two Star Wars Battlefronts exclusively, Elite Squadron and the other one which I can't remember the name off the top of my head. Now I hear rumors the next Star Wars Battlefront will be X-box 360, PC and PS3 but an online only game. Please tell me this is untrue. I don't know alot of people who play online and I don't have an internet connection or equipment to play online.
 Astor
10-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Don't forget Star Wars Galaxies, their first star wars MMO is permanently shutting down in December, 2011. At least that is what a guy at work told me who is a star wars fan.

It's closing down on December 15th. The decision was taken by both Sony Online Entertainment and LucasArts - it was bound to happen sooner or later after the server closures and dropping population in the game, and 8 years is a pretty respectable lifespan.

And it's not going to die completely, as there'll no doubt be private servers running the game for those who want to keep playing.

Lucasarts basically killed The Force Unleashed 3 in my opinion in order for the concentrate on Star Wars The Old Republic for PC and Star Wars Kinect for Microsft X-box 360 and Star Wars The Clone Wars Adventures game.

There haven't been any announcements at all as far as any potential sequel for the Force Unleashed series is concerned.

And yes, they're busy concentrating on other titles at the moment, and they clearly have plans for other games, seeing as they're looking for people to work on RPGs, FPS and Flight Sim titles, but that doesn't mean they won't go back to other games. ;)

All three video games just so happen to be played on Microsoft brand console or PC. I hink the powers in charge at Lucasarts are Pro-Microsoft and Anti-Sony PS3.

If they were anti-Sony they wouldn't be working with Sony Online for the Clone Wars MMO, and they wouldn't have released Republic Heroes or the most recent Lego Star Wars games on the PS3.

Now I hear rumors the next Star Wars Battlefront will be X-box 360, PC and PS3 but an online only game. Please tell me this is untrue. I don't know alot of people who play online and I don't have an internet connection or equipment to play online.

It's something that worries me too, I must admit. I don't play online games other than on my PC, yet a lot of console games seem to be heading in a direction where the single player experience is neglected in favour of an expanded multiplayer or co-op aspect. I wish I could tell you untrue, but I haven't heard anything at all, so I think the best option is to just wait and see.

And keep your fingers crossed, of course. :)
Page: 1 of 1