Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Customization.

Page: 1 of 1
 Confederal_Republic
04-25-2011, 9:23 AM
I'm very new to all of this modding business, so I'll mostly stay away from it until I've read enough, but I'm curious about a few things I'd like for my game, and I was hoping you guys could help me with that.

1) I'm assuming that The Sith Lords-style robes (Jedi, Jedi Knight, Jedi Master) aren't possible for the first game, since that would require animations, right? If I'm wrong, have any mods for those ever been released? I couldn't find any.

2) Do you guys remember the Jedi robe from The Sith Lords? Not the bulky Knight and Master ones, the one a level below that, I think it was just called a Jedi Robe. That with a removable/integrated hood would be great. Would it be at all possible to create something like that, or has someone else ever done such a thing before?

3) Any chance of removing the flowing cape (by Sithspecter) from the Revan model and placing just the cape onto any set of robes or armor? Just pipe dreaming here, but who knows? Maybe someone's made it possible.

I really don't know where to start with any of this, and searching mod directories hasn't yielded anything - all the supposed robe mods for KotOR are just reskins. Thanks in advance.

At least in TSL, I remember using some modding tool (forgot which)to change the Jedi Master robes to white, and it gave me something unique. In the first game, I just stick to the standard Jedi robe. Time for a change, maybe.
 Canaan Sadow
04-25-2011, 9:29 AM
First off wlecome to the forums. :)

Secondly, I don't think your first two ideas are possible without the use of porting... which is illegal. However, I'm no expert at modelling, so I could be wrong.

As for the third, in theory it would work, however in actuality that could be a completely different story, because the cape itself is cardbord box like and it would have major clipping... not only that, but I'm not sure if it's 100% doable. :/ Sowwie.
 Confederal_Republic
04-25-2011, 11:22 AM
After reading around, I realize that what I'm asking for is pretty high-end work, and nobody so far has been willing/skillful enough to try it, so I'll veer away from that.

I downloaded all the modding tools, and using KoTOR Tool, I extracted a robe, g_a_kghtrobe01.uti, modified the properties, and modified a texture in Photoshop. I place the .uti into the Override folder, but how do I get the texture to couple with the new robe?
 Canaan Sadow
04-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Put in the TGA file in the override as well :)
 Confederal_Republic
04-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Kael'thas Solo, so I just stick my item into the Override folder, and dump the texture file into it, too? How does the game associate them, though? It's supposed to be a new item, I'm not overwriting an older one. How will it know to associate?

This just sucks. Earlier today, I was browsing The Old Republic's community art topics, and I realized just how untalented and unskilled I am. I'd give my left nut for the ability to draw like that, or anywhere even in the same galactic cluster as that. Modding's another field of deficiency for me. Guess I'll be busying myself with that now, lol.
 Rtas Vadum
04-25-2011, 2:22 PM
Kael'thas Solo, so I just stick my item into the Override folder, and dump the texture file into it, too? How does the game associate them, though? It's supposed to be a new item, I'm not overwriting an older one. How will it know to associate?

If you want it to be a custom robe, you have to change the uti file's name, along with some information within it(using Kotor Tool). The base name(i.e the 'g_a_kghtrobe' doesn't have to change, just the number, which can be anything from 06 onwards), along with these fields in the tool's uti editor:

Template ResRef = This should match the uti's filename

Tag = Same as above

Texture Variation = This should match the number on your tga file, ie if you choose 'pfbi06', then a 6 should be here.

Beyond that, you can add a few bonuses and such under the Properties tab, but you don't have to.

Trouble with the way BioWare made these robes, is that they may have three tiers for the Jedi levels(Jedi, Knight, and Master), but all three of them use the same four textures.
 Ferc Kast
04-25-2011, 2:25 PM

This just sucks. Earlier today, I was browsing The Old Republic's community art topics, and I realized just how untalented and unskilled I am. I'd give my left nut for the ability to draw like that, or anywhere even in the same galactic cluster as that. Modding's another field of deficiency for me. Guess I'll be busying myself with that now, lol.

There should be a spot in the uti the asks for the new robe's texture number. Change it to the new texture's 2 digit number to use the uti for your custom texture. :)

EDIT: See above post; It's more specific than mine. :)
 TimBob12
04-25-2011, 3:20 PM
Welcome to the forum,

I'm very new to all of this modding business, so I'll mostly stay away from it until I've read enough,

I appluad this way of thinking and wish that every new member had this mindset and your common sense.
 Canderis
04-25-2011, 4:33 PM
I would recommend reading this:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=204108)
 UnknownJedi
04-26-2011, 2:24 PM
Hello and welcome to the site

as to

3) Any chance of removing the flowing cape (by Sithspecter) from the Revan model and placing just the cape onto any set of robes or armor? Just pipe dreaming here, but who knows? Maybe someone's made it possible.

i am starting to play about with body models so i will look in to it for you but from what i done so far i would say it is possible to do so how ever you will need to get Sithspecter's permission to use his model
 Dak Drexl
04-26-2011, 4:08 PM
i am starting to play about with body models so i will look in to it for you but from what i done so far i would say it is possible to do so how ever you will need to get Sithspecter's permission to use his model

I've tried this myself and I'm pretty sure it's possible, but Revan's cape model tends to be a bit screwy as do a lot of the models if you try to merge them. Will take a lot of playing around with to get it to work right.
 UnknownJedi
04-27-2011, 3:03 PM
I've tried this myself and I'm pretty sure it's possible, but Revan's cape model tends to be a bit screwy as do a lot of the models if you try to merge them. Will take a lot of playing around with to get it to work right.

it dose at that it to me about a mouth to get on model to work and it was a simple on at that but if i get permission i going to see if i can make it
 Nick Vader
05-03-2011, 9:01 AM
Reply to 1st post: The 2nd one HAS been done ,actually, by Canderis. Take a look at this thread: Hood Mod By Canderis (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=199519)

Hope I helped:thmbup1:
 Dak Drexl
05-03-2011, 3:19 PM
it dose at that it to me about a mouth to get on model to work and it was a simple on at that but if i get permission i going to see if i can make it

I'm sorry but I don't think anyone understands what you're saying here :confused:
 Fallen Guardian
05-03-2011, 9:56 PM
I believe he said, Revan's model does tend to be screwy. It took me about a month to get a model to work and it was a simple one at that, but if I get permission I'll try to make the cape attached to another model. Please UnkownJedi, correct me if I am wrong.
 Dak Drexl
05-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Ah, thanks FG :)

I've gotten Revan's robe onto another model before but SS's animations seem to get lost in the transfer. However like I said I'm sure it's possible.

UnknownJedi I'd be excited if you were to make it happen!
 Confederal_Republic
05-04-2011, 3:23 PM
Thing is, I'm clueless when it comes to 3D modeling, but I don't think you actually need permission to alter stuff for personal use, do you? I thought it was only for further distribution/changing for distribution? You should try experimenting with it (using Sithspectre's animations as well), and asking for permission once you've got a sample to show them - I'm sure the guys that made the Revan model/animations will be more than happy to release it in your name/allow you to release it! As far as I know, you'd be the first person to do it
 UnknownJedi
05-04-2011, 6:14 PM
I believe he said, Revan's model does tend to be screwy. It took me about a month to get a model to work and it was a simple one at that, but if I get permission I'll try to make the cape attached to another model. Please UnkownJedi, correct me if I am wrong.

your spot on there

Thing is, I'm clueless when it comes to 3D modeling, but I don't think you actually need permission to alter stuff for personal use, do you? I thought it was only for further distribution/changing for distribution? You should try experimenting with it (using Sithspectre's animations as well), and asking for permission once you've got a sample to show them - I'm sure the guys that made the Revan model/animations will be more than happy to release it in your name/allow you to release it! As far as I know, you'd be the first person to do it

if a mod is for your use only i wouldn't need Sithspectre's permission. but i do intend to re-less it so i will but trying to get the thing to work first lol before i can send a sample
 MDX
05-08-2011, 5:32 PM
This topic has reminded me the old thread about active party cap customization. Genuine drag that was. I became one of those desperados who had decided to make sure that the game was hardcoded themselves. Old good days.

But apart from joking (that doesn't fit at all now, when we have almost lost the hope for new single-player game), I've got some idea. It may sound odd, but nothing ventured - nothing gained. It occured to me when I was relaxing last Friday after busy working day anticipating the weekend. I was remembering KotOR II locations (which, on a par with the Mine Valley from the first Gothic, are undoubtedly the most beautiful among all worlds created for video games during the whole history of the latter (at least from my point of view), having the most pronounced background), and suddenly thought: you cannot take more than two companions at any point of the game, but there is the point, which persists almost the whole time, when you're not able to take your henchmen with you at all - when you are aboard the Ebon Hawk. On the other hand, there is one event when you can take the lazybones to the ship as active followers - when the bird is attacked by the Red Eclipse. My idea's got enough high chances to be wrong - I'm not a programmer, after all, being more familiar with hardware than with computer languages - but, following the laws of logic, if there is any clue to solve the issue - it must be concealed in this location's code.

P. S. Sorry for verbiage, just a good mood.
Page: 1 of 1