Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Skinnig question

Page: 1 of 1
 harark1
04-11-2011, 8:17 PM
Hey how can you make a section of texture shine like it is metal in gimp?
Please don't lecture me about using your fine selection of tutorials, I just really need to know this and don't have time to browse through them.
 Nvenom
04-11-2011, 8:37 PM
Most people Use .txi files to do it as far as i know, the only way you can get even close without those is to Add a reflective metal texture and make it looks as good as possible, although it will most likely still come out Matte
 Canderis
04-11-2011, 8:49 PM
You need to make the part of the image you want shiny, semi-transparent. In gimp now, you need to change the opacity of the eraser to something like 10%, and erase the area. And re-erase till you get it as transparent as you'd like. Next you need to make a TXI file, which is a notepad doc saved with the extension ".txi" Inside the file, you put:
envmaptexture CM_Baremetal
Save the TXI with the same name as your texture, drop it into the override, and you are done.
 Nvenom
04-11-2011, 8:52 PM
You need to make the part of the image you want shiny, semi-transparent. In gimp now, you need to change the opacity of the eraser to something like 10%, and erase the area. And re-erase till you get it as transparent as you'd like. Next you need to make a TXI file, which is a notepad doc saved with the extension ".txi" Inside the file, you put:
envmaptexture CM_Baremetal
Save the TXI with the same name as your texture, drop it into the override, and you are done.
WoW, good to know had no clue it was that simple
 Canderis
04-11-2011, 8:53 PM
Yep, it is that easy. TXIs are quite simple.
 harark1
04-11-2011, 9:03 PM
K thanks. Especilly from you Canderis you have given a lot of good advice since I started modding.
 Nvenom
04-11-2011, 9:12 PM
K thanks. Especilly from you Canderis you have given a lot of good advice since I started modding.

He is da Bomb :worship:
 Fallen Guardian
04-11-2011, 9:23 PM
There is also using Alpha Channels, which was explained much better than I could hope of explaining it, by Vurt, in one of my threads.

Here's the link (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206262&highlight=making+shiny+textures)

And here's the post.

Create a file with the same name as the texture, except for the extension which should be .txi. The file only needs to contain this:

envmaptexture CM_BareMetal

Use notepad, and when you save make sure you have selected "all" for "save as type", otherwise it will be named yourtexturename.txi.txt - and that wont work.

In the alpha channel of the texture you then select which parts you want to be shiny. paint black=makes that part shiny, grey = a bit less shiny, white = no shine. An alpha channel that is completely black will make the whole armor shiny. To understand what alpha channel is (if you dont already) i suggest that you read up about it, there are many tutorials out there.

To add on a little bit, alpha channels in gimp can be found by first going to Colors, and then to Color to Alpha.

Hope this helped.
 Canderis
04-11-2011, 9:34 PM
There is also using Alpha Channels, which was explained much better than I could hope of explaining it, by Vurt, in one of my threads.

Here's the link (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206262&highlight=making+shiny+textures)

And here's the post.

To add on a little bit, alpha channels in gimp can be found by first going to Colors, and then to Color to Alpha.

Hope this helped.

Alpha Channels and transparency are the same thing. At least in gimp.
 Fallen Guardian
04-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Yes, i know, but it may be a tad easier to use Alpha channels.
 Canderis
04-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Like i said they are the exact same thing, in gimp, there is one way to do it.
Page: 1 of 1