Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lightsabers

Page: 1 of 3
 Sp!ker
03-30-2011, 4:17 AM
I would like to ask you, will be lightsabers improved? In my opinion they look Horrible ... like an ordinary stick not a lightsaber ... Thank you for your answers and excuse me for my terrible English :-)
 adamqd
03-30-2011, 1:43 PM
I have to admit, initially we all attacked Bioware for the size of the Hilts, which they resized to a certain degree, but yea, I have noticed that the actual Blade itself looks kinda flat and stick-like, not at all bright and fuzzy like the films and all other games have established, little bit more light and edge blur please :)
 Sp!ker
03-30-2011, 6:44 PM
100% agree ;)
 Sabretooth
03-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Lego lego everywhere, and not a piece to build
 Tommycat
03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
It really depends on which images you're looking at. The most recent ones look way better than the Pringles-saber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEtIhKe0gOQ)
 LordOfTheFish
03-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for sharing that video, Tommycat, I was still in agreement with most about the lightsabers looking rather ugly, but those are not that bad. The blade could be a little thicker, though...
 Tommycat
03-31-2011, 1:28 PM
The blade could be a little thicker, though...

I'm afraid to ask for it... I mean I could see them adjusting it a bit too much, and BAM Baseball-bat-saber. These look pretty good to me. I mean the sabers in the OT were pretty thin.
 Sp!ker
03-31-2011, 6:42 PM
thicker blade, more light and edge blur and reduce the size of hilt and it will be perfect... :-)
 Jeff
03-31-2011, 8:14 PM
I agree that they don't look very good...it's hard to pinpoint exactly what doesn't look good but my biggest problem is with the blade, not the hilt. I basically want it to look exactly like the lightsabers in the prequels. I think the problem is that they are thicker at the base than at the tip.
 Tommycat
03-31-2011, 8:16 PM
thicker blade, more light and edge blur and reduce the size of hilt and it will be perfect... :-)

I think the hilt size is fine. To be honest, I think the sabers are pretty well fine as they are. And at least you can holster(belt clip) them unlike KotOR or TSL where you just carried them in your hands everywhere.
 Liverandbacon
04-01-2011, 11:34 AM
The hilts have been way improved, but the blade looks a bit off. The width seems ok, but it looks strangely flat, perhaps because the separation of the white 'core' and the colored part is too defined, not a more gradual fade-in, though there could be some other reason.

I've noticed that while the graphics are still cartoonish, they're way less exaggerated (especially character models) than early screens showed. IMO this is a good thing, and the 'stylized graphics' fad is just as annoying as the much hated 'everything is gray and brown because we're gritty and realistic and other colors don't exist in war zones/the future' graphics.
 Sabretooth
04-01-2011, 2:07 PM
It's the same reason why CG movies still look cartoony instead of looking increasingly realistic, as was expected. It's cheaper, and you can get away with it.

IIRC, Borderlands shifting to the stylised graphics was a major thing. Back when it was announced and the first screenies were shown, there was little to differentiate the game from your average post-apo shooter.

Of course, that probably has more to do with the game and its story itself than it has to do with graphics, but so long as that's that, everyone's going to go stylised, rather than risk competing with Crytek and not being good enough to stand out.
 ChAiNz.2da
04-01-2011, 3:27 PM
As with most MMO's the sabers/graphics are probably low poly, low impact to ensure the smoothest possible framerate...

You think griefing over an MMO vs SP is bad? Just wait till a raid is failed because graphics on server side hang. Talk about "ugh" days on the forums. Half the users revert to their inner 10 year old. ;)
 Mav
04-01-2011, 8:45 PM
This doesn't matter to me, I don't think my Smuggler will be using a lightsaber much, though I could be wrong.
 Tommycat
04-03-2011, 12:23 PM
This doesn't matter to me, I don't think my Smuggler will be using a lightsaber much, though I could be wrong.

After Galaxies, I got tired of sabers. I got so sick of hearing them because of all the Force Whine in the forums...
 Liverandbacon
04-03-2011, 10:28 PM
It's the same reason why CG movies still look cartoony instead of looking increasingly realistic, as was expected. It's cheaper, and you can get away with it.

IIRC, Borderlands shifting to the stylised graphics was a major thing. Back when it was announced and the first screenies were shown, there was little to differentiate the game from your average post-apo shooter.

Of course, that probably has more to do with the game and its story itself than it has to do with graphics, but so long as that's that, everyone's going to go stylised, rather than risk competing with Crytek and not being good enough to stand out.

Oh I completely understand why they do it (price, looks better on low settings, etc.), and that obviously devs can't base their art styles on 'what liverandbacon would like'.

Personally, I don't need a game to look like it's from Crytek. Hell, I still play Ultima VII (and everyone should). However, even with older graphics (perhaps not Ultima VII old though), one can make a game that's clearly going for realism, or clearly going for cartoonishness.

I'm fine with stylization in games that are meant to be lighthearted or absurd (Borderlands for instance). However, in a more serious game, with deeper themes (what Bioware are claiming TOR is), cartoonish graphics are jarring and detract from the game IMO.

I should probably stop posting about TOR, since I'm seemingly unable to comment on it without being an absolute misery. And my opinion is irrelevant anyway, since I'm never going to play a game with subscription fees (If all games got them, I'd give them up entirely, without hesitation).
 Jae Onasi
04-03-2011, 10:37 PM
As long as the hilt doesn't look ridiculous or has a bizarre shape, I'm happy.

I have heard that the blade color would be determined by crystals, and not your class, so that should be good.
 Tommycat
04-04-2011, 3:01 PM
I have heard that the blade color would be determined by crystals, and not your class, so that should be good.

In one of the gameplay vidyas they showed a Sith picking up and using a red saber and a blue saber. So it's entirely possible that you can change out crystals. I mean that was one of the basic things of KotOR, so it would be rather silly not to include that.
 Prime
04-05-2011, 4:55 PM
Frankly, I think some of the outfits are a bigger concern than the sabers.
 Sp!ker
04-06-2011, 2:11 PM
lightsabers from movie - http://www.alexandgregory.com/images/palpatine_4.jpg)
lightsabers from other star wars games - http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/jediacademy_xbx_101003_006.jpg) (jedi academy)

and now lightsabers from OLD REPUBLIC - http://www.hrypc.cz/files/star-wars-the-old-republic%5B4%5D.jpg)

Here you can see the difference
worst-looking sabers are in old republic :-///
Why did they do that?
 Ztalker
04-06-2011, 3:58 PM
Frankly, I think some of the outfits are a bigger concern than the sabers.

Somehow all outfits remind me of the Power Ranger. Or that Beetle Borgs series.
Although I'm possible going for the Inquisitor, it's looks suck...
 Tommycat
04-06-2011, 8:24 PM
lightsabers from movie - http://www.alexandgregory.com/images/palpatine_4.jpg)
lightsabers from other star wars games - http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/jediacademy_xbx_101003_006.jpg) (jedi academy)

and now lightsabers from OLD REPUBLIC - http://www.hrypc.cz/files/star-wars-the-old-republic%5B4%5D.jpg)

Here you can see the difference
worst-looking sabers are in old republic :-///
Why did they do that?

Um, try comparing the saber to the one in my video. It's the more recent vid, so we have the recent saber. I think it looks pretty dang nice.
 Sp!ker
04-07-2011, 9:49 AM
they dont look so good.,even in your video-> not ... if you see .. light of lightsaber is too sharp... the edges arent blurred...sabre is very thin... in the best starwars game i expected better design of Lightsabers.. thats all ...
 Tommycat
04-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I dunno, comparing between KotOR and TOR, they look about the same. Maybe slightly larger hilts, but then you can actually change the style of your hilt... I guess you could add a bit more light diffusion... But really at this point, lightsaber criticism's are down to nit picking.
 Sabretooth
04-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah epic nostalgia'd
 Sp!ker
04-11-2011, 6:24 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah epic nostalgia'd
Yea, Jedi Academy is a game in which the sabers were allright :-)

I dunno, comparing between KotOR and TOR, they look about the same.

i don't care f any 7 years old game - kotor ..
now comes tor.. I would say that the lightsabers are even better in Kotor than TOR (they are "not much" in Kotor too).. i dont know why did they do lightsabers stick-like in tor.. it doesnt look good!
 Tommycat
04-13-2011, 11:04 AM
i don't care f any 7 years old game - kotor ..
now comes tor.. I would say that the lightsabers are even better in Kotor than TOR (they are "not much" in Kotor too).. i dont know why did they do lightsabers stick-like in tor.. it doesnt look good!

KotOR was made by Bioware.

I think it's just a matter of opinion. I don't like super glowey overly done sabers. YMMV
 Sp!ker
04-13-2011, 3:38 PM
I don't like super glowey overly done sabers. YMMV

me too of course .. I dont wanna too glowing saber like here - http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/kotor/kotor-5b.jpg) saber ... I just like the sabers in movie thats all ... and I think that most people have the same opinion
 Tommycat
04-13-2011, 11:11 PM
me too of course .. I dont wanna too glowing saber like here - http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/kotor/kotor-5b.jpg) saber ... I just like the sabers in movie thats all ... and I think that most people have the same opinion

Which movie... in Episode IV it was very bland, V it was more refined, but still kinda bland, VI it got to looking pretty nice. then we got the prequels that had good looking sabers that varied to overly fuzzy at times.
 Sp!ker
04-17-2011, 2:26 PM
my idea of ​​a saber...

OFFICIAL by BioWare
http://www.hrypc.cz/files/star-wars-the-old-republic[4].jpg)

MADE BY ME(Notice the blurred red sword when it moves -> on the right)
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/4058/starwarstheoldrepublicn.jpg)
 Sabretooth
04-17-2011, 3:26 PM
Technically, the blurred moving lightsaber should only happen in the movies, because of the 24 fps motion blur. In a game that's supposed to run at 60, there shouldn't be that blurry effect. I think.
 adamqd
04-17-2011, 4:08 PM
I Think its the Glow rather than movement blur. The second picture is better as Sp!ker has shown (IMHO)
 Sabretooth
04-17-2011, 11:07 PM
The lightsabre on the left does look better no doubt, but the on the right looks like a movement blur (as it appears in the movies, and is specified by the image author).
 adamqd
04-18-2011, 11:49 AM
sorry, I didn't even see that saber lol, I'm talkin about the purple double blade, the movement blur doesn't bother me :)
 Liverandbacon
04-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Technically, the blurred moving lightsaber should only happen in the movies, because of the 24 fps motion blur. In a game that's supposed to run at 60, there shouldn't be that blurry effect. I think.

I'm not an expert on the pretend science of lightsabers, but I always assumed it was like the blur you get when you 'write' with a sparkler. Visible with human eyesight, not due to a video camera.

edit: never mind, just realized you meant it wouldn't be visible when paused, not in game. That makes sense.
 Sp!ker
04-21-2011, 11:55 AM
well, but in the video sabers could be movement blurred ..
 Ctrl Alt Del
04-22-2011, 12:55 AM
well, but in the video sabers could be movement blurred ..

Aren't they? Never paid due attention on the trailers. But I agree with you, it just looks weird otherwise.
 Sp!ker
04-22-2011, 1:07 PM
it blurs only in certain situations... probably some Ability
 That Guy Over There
04-30-2011, 2:20 PM
I think that if there's a way to have motion blur while still maintaining a good FPS, they should go for it. The one thing that I think they should definitely change is the fact that the lightsaber gets thicker at the bottom. I think that while lightsabers should have rounded tips for aesthetic purposes, the edges should definitely be parallel, otherwise it looks to me more like a glowing sword rather than a blade made out of energy.
 Sp!ker
05-02-2011, 3:40 PM
is incomprehensible why they made ​​the sabers so unprofessional...
 TheRogueForums
05-25-2011, 2:40 AM

^^ This. I have *always* had an issue with the saber hilts and blades we have seen in TOR thusfar. It looks too.... cut and dry? The lightsabers in BioWare's KOTOR looked a kagillion times better than what's in TOR right now. And that game is what? 200 years old now? If it isn't broke, do not fix it.
 Isaac Clarke
05-25-2011, 9:12 AM
I don't think the hilts are a problem. I mean, look at the ones in JKA!!! Those things are HUGE compared to TOR. Now, it's the BLADE I'm worried about. I mean, come on! Those don't even look like LIGHTSABERS!!! Now, if Bioware doesn't improve this, I will give up on them.(well, just the star wars games.)
 Sp!ker
06-29-2011, 11:42 AM
i have seen latest TOR gameplays and all videos but sabers still seems to me suck... they dont seems to me the same as we know from the movies... ..just an ordinary colored stick :-/
 Tommycat
06-29-2011, 3:20 PM
Again, maybe it's because I'm not a fan of Jedi, but to me they look nice. I mean compared to the glowie stick used in the original Star Wars, these are great. But I guess you had to say something to bump your thread.
 decalibron
07-01-2011, 4:33 AM
hm...isn't it a little irrational to give up on a BIOWARE sw game because the lightsabers are sketchy? I think they aren't that bad, they certainly could get better, but i think there are plenty of things i'd be more worried about, like maybe story or something. Half the classes don't even use lightsabers. I think the game will be great regardless of whether or not the blades are toothpicks or foam bats. And if you really have that big of a problem with them...well, you could always be a trooper? Ok, sorry about my long, boring, and most likely offensive rant, but i really think there's some overreactions about petty details, i mean they aren't even THAT BAD. Trust in the collective wisdom of the Bioware Council.
 Tommycat
07-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Seriously, I think people are way overreacting to the lightsabers.
http://media.dhcdn.com/2011/03/4374/aldscr2.jpg)

Sorry, those look good to me.
 Ctrl Alt Del
07-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I suppose they just don't look like the lightsaber from the movies, though. Not worse, just different.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-01-2011, 1:11 PM
I just find it funny that people are screaming "heads should roll" over lightsaber graphics when every other post in the forums are "Graphics aren't as important as story, story, story"... :xp:

When you start adding blur (motion, directional, gaussian, etc.), you start adding frame field information (rendering times are affected a lot more by blur than one would think). That additional rendering affects frame rates. In an mmo/multiplayer game.. I want framerates over motion blur. ;)

I honestly don't mind how they look now. If they change by release, yay.. if not, no biggie. They've already convinced my money to depart from my wallet.. hehehe
 Sp!ker
07-01-2011, 4:38 PM
:-D :-D people... light around the saber is not light, it's just the colored edge of the white stick ... It bothers me ... :-/
 decalibron
07-01-2011, 5:14 PM
thank you for all of the lightsaber support guys! TOR has a lot bigger fish to fry than a distinct edge around the core of the blade...story story story like CHAINz.2da says :)
Page: 1 of 3