Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

KotOR models on Mac

Page: 1 of 1
 Spike-nl
03-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi,

I have searched just about the entire internet for a way to extract the model files from KotOR on a mac so I can start editing in Maya.
There seems to be no application in existence that will let me extract the files and convert them to a format Maya will read though.
Is there a way to do this?
Or is there someone kind enough to convert the Bastila (regular clothing) model into an .obj file for me?
 TimBob12
03-20-2011, 1:04 PM
Im pretty sure that maya can export .obj and gmax can import them although don't hold me to that. Look in mayas export menu and see if it matches anything in gmax. you'll need to use the nwmax plugin to link stuff up anyway.

Im rubbish at modelling anyway so I might be saying stuff that wouldn't work. :P
 Spike-nl
03-20-2011, 3:58 PM
Im pretty sure that maya can export .obj and gmax can import them although don't hold me to that. Look in mayas export menu and see if it matches anything in gmax. you'll need to use the nwmax plugin to link stuff up anyway.

Im rubbish at modelling anyway so I might be saying stuff that wouldn't work. :P
Maya can indeed import and export obj files. But the thing is that I want to get the Bastila model into Maya. So the original model file has to be converted to an obj so I can import it into Maya.

gmax seems to be a Windows only program, so I can't use that. :raise:
 TimBob12
03-20-2011, 4:12 PM
What about Wine?

http://www.winehq.org/)
 Working Class Hero
03-20-2011, 8:10 PM
I'm going to have an aneurysm if another mac person says they can't use windows programs. You people have Wine, Parallel Desktop, and VMWare Fusion. You ought to be able to figure it out. :indif:

That said, I recommend not using Maya and instead using 3dsmax, which can import the mdls using the NWMax plug-in.
 Spike-nl
03-21-2011, 3:56 AM
I'm going to have an aneurysm if another mac person says they can't use windows programs. You people have Wine, Parallel Desktop, and VMWare Fusion. You ought to be able to figure it out. :indif:

That said, I recommend not using Maya and instead using 3dsmax, which can import the mdls using the NWMax plug-in.

OKay, so now you assume anyone will just spend hundreds of dollars on something like this?
Since Both VMWare and Parallels are very expensive to use, and a Windows license (which is also required for a virtual machine) issn't cheap either. ;)
And you think 3D modelers will just switch applications? Not only are both Maya and 3DsMax VERY expensive, but switching between the two is not easy if you have years of experience in one of them. Plus there are hardly any employers interested in people with Max experience since most of them use Maya in my field ;)
That's why I will still use Maya because there should be multiple ways to get this file into Maya.

I am not familiar with Wine/CrossOver so I will look into that, thanks.
 Working Class Hero
03-21-2011, 4:33 AM
Well besides flipping the model, the obj export idea seems to work well...although Maya, for some reason, it imports kotor models waaaayy off center of the screen, whereas 3dsmax is centered. Other than that it works ok. You'll just have to re-flip the model in Maya.

So your best bet is to see if you can get nwmax running, or find someone who can export it for you. I would, but I don't have K1. :(

And you think 3D modelers will just switch applications? Not only are both Maya and 3DsMax VERY expensive, but switching between the two is not easy if you have years of experience in one of them. Plus there are hardly any employers interested in people with Max experience since most of them use Maya in my field Nearly everybody on these forums is either:

A: a student, so all this software is free
or B: a ruthless pirate, and all this software is free.

It appears you are neither. :xp:
 Spike-nl
03-21-2011, 1:30 PM
Well besides flipping the model, the obj export idea seems to work well...although Maya, for some reason, it imports kotor models waaaayy off center of the screen, whereas 3dsmax is centered. Other than that it works ok. You'll just have to re-flip the model in Maya.

So your best bet is to see if you can get nwmax running, or find someone who can export it for you. I would, but I don't have K1. :(

Nearly everybody on these forums is either:

A: a student, so all this software is free
or B: a ruthless pirate, and all this software is free.

It appears you are neither. :xp:

Well the flipping and offcenter parts are not a very big deal, I can work with that.

I have been fiddling around with wine, but I have not been able to get nwmax, mdldecompiler or studiocompiler to work properly :raise:
 Working Class Hero
03-21-2011, 11:16 PM
mdldecompiler or studiocompiler to work properlyEr, why are you trying to use Valve software to decompile Bioware's models? You have to use nwmax and mdlops. There aren't any other options, unfortunately.
 Spike-nl
03-22-2011, 1:13 PM
Er, why are you trying to use Valve software to decompile Bioware's models? You have to use nwmax and mdlops. There aren't any other options, unfortunately.

Well, if the first 5 programs you run across don't want to cooperate, you get creative, and hopeful that this other program which is meant for something else will be kind and help you out..
No such luck so far though, although that is more because of the fact that these original programs will just not run than to the fact that they don't do their job, which I'm sure they do.

Guess I'll have to give up pretty soon, since I really can't seem to find a way to get a hold of what I need...:raise:
Page: 1 of 1