Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Model and Skin question.

Page: 1 of 1
 Acleacius
01-22-2011, 3:47 PM
I read over the tutorial about Modeling and Skinning. Downloaded GMax and NWMax, still can't seem to open a mdl file for viewing or editing.

I did see the post about GIMP being good for skin files but haven't downloaded yet, since trying to get the mdl files to open.

Will these programs allow me to Open or possibly double click on a mdl or tga for editing OR do I need to download something else like the trial for Photoshop?

Thanks for any tips. :)

Out of courisity, do the mdl and mdx files in TSL contain the skin within them? As I have tried to get a skin (face) show on a head (mdl) it doesn't seem to be working.
 TimBob12
01-22-2011, 3:58 PM
have you opened them trhough NWNmax and no skins are seperate files in the ERFs texture packs.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
the skins IIRC are in the same place in TSL as in K1.

Look in KotOR Tool -> TSL -> ERF's -> swpc_tex_tp*.erf, with 'a' corresponding to the "hi-quality" textures and 'c' the lowest.

They are in format .tpc, you need to convert them to .tga. Use GIMP or PhotoShop or similar to edit them.

EDIT: Doh! TB12 beat me to it!
 Canaan Sadow
Nooooo.... you don't open the mdl nor the mdx files in gimp. They are for editing the tga file only... like if you want your texture to appear different in gmax, then you'll need to edit the tga file (in the same directory as you have the mdl-acsii file, ie a folder containing the texture for say PMC04 and the mdl-acsii file when you open the acsii file then the texture will show up in gmax, useful for when you're not sure how the head will turn out reskinned).
 TimBob12
01-22-2011, 3:59 PM
He didn't say he was opening it in gimp. He said he couldn;t open the .mdl file in GMax and that he heard that gimp was good for skinning

(three posts in 1 minute lol)
 Canaan Sadow
01-22-2011, 4:02 PM
Will these programs allow me to Open or possibly double click on a mdl or tga for editing OR do I need to download something else like the trial for Photoshop?

:carms:

:edit:
I know your problem. Download MDLops and create the -acsii extension with it then open in NWmax. x]
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-22-2011, 4:08 PM
@ Kael'thas Solo - I think the OP simply wants to edit skins, a far easier and better beginning task than remodeling. Just :twocents:

If that is the case, forget about the .mdl/.mdx, focus on reskinning! You need GIMP/PS/Paint.NET, whatever you like, just not MSPaint. Figuring out the map takes some practice, as does getting your new skin to appear, but it is not rocket surgery :p

If KS is right, then that is out of my league to help you, so follow KS you should.
 Canaan Sadow
01-22-2011, 4:15 PM
@ Kael'thas Solo - I think the OP simply wants to edit skins, a far easier and better beginning task than remodeling. Just :twocents:

The fact that he downloaded Gmax and NWmax from reading tutorials in the Modelling/Skinning section makes it seem as though he wants to model, so I just assumed that's what he wanted. :xp:
 Acleacius
01-24-2011, 7:54 AM
Thanks all, for the help. :cheers:

I'm still trying to absorb all this, since I haven't done skin or model editing before, plus too tired atm. :confused:

The reason I thought it was necessary to do model and skin is the models seem to be different in kotor and tsl. There is a skin, wanted to used from kotor in TSL, when both the model and the skin are in tsl override it crashes. I renamed the skin so it would show up on a tsl model.

I wanted to edit the skin and/or fix/create a model, hence trying to learn both at the same time. It sounds like need to download gimp and MDLops, probably start with gimp to see if I can just edit to skin first.

Thanks. :)
Page: 1 of 1