Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Different Cut-Scenes???

Page: 1 of 1
 starkiller1157
12-27-2010, 7:00 AM
I'm a little confused with the different types of cutscenes.

First off, when I saw those two movie-like previews back in January and May, I thought those were what the cutscenes would look like! I didn't understand the point, especially when they don't go along with the story.

There are the cutscenes where the characters look real and flawless and the other, which I call gameplay cutscenes, rough and not very real looking. There were several moments in the game where they choose "game play cutscenes" when they should of done the other.

Juno "gameplay version" looks very different from the ending cutscene.

I'm curious why they focused on doing the cheap gameplay like cutscenes? They didn't do that in TFU1. There was either 1 type of cutscenes or the actualy gameplay.
 Darca Lar
12-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Budget, deadlines, or just because they wanted to.
 Zerimar Nyliram
12-27-2010, 4:56 PM
The commonly accepted terms in the gaming world are "FMV" (full-motion video) for the first type that you mentioned, and "in-game cutscene" for the second.
 Sordid Dreams
12-28-2010, 9:18 AM
I don't know if it's just my impression, but TFU1's FMVs just seem like recorded in-game cutscenes.
 Kurgan
01-28-2012, 2:06 PM
I personally prefer to use the terms "pre-rendered" and "game engine" cutscenes (since technically all the cutscenes are "in" the game, and FMV might be still accurate, but it calls to mind recorded images of live actors as in the CD based consoles of the mid-90's or the original Jedi Knight).

The first are created on different systems and usually have higher production values. The second reflect whatever graphics engine are used to render the regular gameplay, and hence are affected by things like modified skins and such.

Both games use pre-rendered and game-engine style cutscenes, and the detail of the models and quality of the animation is noticeably higher in the former over the latter in both games.
Page: 1 of 1