Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

head-modelling problem

Page: 1 of 1
 Bob Ta'aar
12-09-2010, 3:21 PM
alright, so I tried to teach myself how to model around some heads and reskinning them. lemme take the opportunity to thank for all the good tutorials here, they rock :thmbup1:!

now, I'm a total newbie concerning 3d-models, so forgive me, if I sound stupid or anything ... ;)
I tried to make a new custom Devaronian head (sharper ears and horns, smaller jaw, grinnier mouth and greyer skin). I followed Trex's tutorial (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=193050) step by step using NWMax and everything worked fine ... until I implemented the head into the game.
Now there's this flash of straight-lined textures sticking out from the mouth-region (there's anotherone flickering depending on the angle that cuts right through the head in the middle). Here's a screenshot:
http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/09-141412L/5584/jpg/12/2010/img4/glowfoto)

did I meddle around with the model too much (is the mouth-area a taboo due to the animations?) or was there an error during file-conversation? or anything else that might help to solve the issue? thanks for any advice :)!
 TimBob12
12-09-2010, 4:43 PM
Bear in mind that if you change the model you change the UV Map. If you don't have the correct UV Map set up then it will look strange. Not sure whether that is causing the huge bit on the front.
 Bob Ta'aar
12-10-2010, 7:20 PM
Hmmm, I worked on a Zabrak head today and got the very same problem.
Then I tried to make the final mdl and mdx files with MDLops instead of Taina's replacer (as suggested in the tutorial mentioned above).
The head-models of the Devaronian as well as the Zabrak looked perfectly fine ingame now, but they're not attached to the body properly anymore (they do the movements independently from the body and thus jump around quiet a lot that way).

I'm pretty sure there's a simple solution as to how create the final mdl and mdx files from the ascii-file from GMax correctly, but I'm a total newbie at this 3d-modelling thing so I'd appreciate it, if someone could help me find it :)!
 Dak Drexl
12-12-2010, 9:32 AM
I've answered this question on a few threads - there seems to be a small problem with Trex's tut that a few people get from time to time. While using the replacer, do NOT leave all the boxes checked. Uncheck all boxes that end in "_g". Do everything else like you normally would and see how it works for you :)
 Bob Ta'aar
12-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Aaah, that did the trick! Thanks a lot :).
Page: 1 of 1