Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Cinematic Droids

Page: 1 of 1
 Xarwarz
10-19-2010, 2:55 PM
 Alkonium
10-19-2010, 3:10 PM
I'll have to see the textures mapped onto the models in order to get a better opinion.
 Dak Drexl
10-19-2010, 3:37 PM
I'll have to see the textures mapped onto the models in order to get a better opinion.

Agreed, and I agree that the second one looks better. My only suggestion might be to add some more noise onto the flat-ish orange part.

I bet these look cool though.
 Xarwarz
10-19-2010, 4:13 PM
Ok added pics with them on the model
 Dak Drexl
10-19-2010, 4:17 PM
Oooh, those do look cool! I'll stick with my same recommendation though, some kind of noise on the orange spaces would be nice. Maybe a brushed metal texture of some kind?

Whatever you do, these will look sick with your 2011 texture pack. Do you plan on doing all droids?
 Xarwarz
10-19-2010, 4:26 PM
Oooh, those do look cool! I'll stick with my same recommendation though, some kind of noise on the orange spaces would be nice. Maybe a brushed metal texture of some kind?

Whatever you do, these will look sick with your 2011 texture pack. Do you plan on doing all droids?

Yea all droids will be done how ever the majority of droids are on the droid planet.

Well part of cinematic is more smooth look than a ruff look but ill see what i come up with
 Dak Drexl
10-19-2010, 4:37 PM
Well part of cinematic is more smooth look than a ruff look but ill see what i come up with

Then maybe a really light stainless steel type texture overlayed? Remember these are just suggestions, I would honestly take it as-is now. I don't mind the flat-ish textures at all, I think it gives everything a fresh look. Others may not agree with me though.

Edit: I found out what I was thinking. IMO, the first one looks pretty perfect for what you're trying to do. The second one looks weird because the metal texture really works against the clean orange texture. So I would either clean up the metal (which would fit your style) or dirty up the rest.
 Alkonium
10-19-2010, 5:48 PM
I'd say the red one. Not sure why. Also, they might be a little too clean looking.
 Xarwarz
10-20-2010, 1:37 AM
Then maybe a really light stainless steel type texture overlayed? Remember these are just suggestions, I would honestly take it as-is now. I don't mind the flat-ish textures at all, I think it gives everything a fresh look. Others may not agree with me though.

Edit: I found out what I was thinking. IMO, the first one looks pretty perfect for what you're trying to do. The second one looks weird because the metal texture really works against the clean orange texture. So I would either clean up the metal (which would fit your style) or dirty up the rest.

Yea i was looking at the first one and it does seem to fit the cinematic role

I'd say the red one. Not sure why. Also, they might be a little too clean looking.

Yea the first one still clean is what im going for but maybe some type of noise will be added
 Qui-Gon Glenn
10-20-2010, 3:52 PM
I like both of them, the in-game shots are much better looking than what I expected from the base skin's colorization.

I understand that you are going for a "cinematic" look with your textures, and I especially like the work you have done in your latest module enhancements... I will be installing them, and that will be the first of your mods I have done so with, so personal kudos! In those areas, the clean, as you say "cinematic" look befits an era where technology reigns and power is in limitless supply - things should look clean and perfect, unless you are in a battle zone.

The droids, however, might be different. Some droids are shiny and new looking, like CP3O's silver friend (e chuta to you too) in ESB. Some are like R2 - battle worn, carbon scored, scarred, etc. Thus the comments of others that I agree with to an extent... "too clean looking"

Therefore, if you want to make the best mod, and IMO make it truly cinematic, you need to mix it up. Some droids should be immaculate, especially on a droid planet. Others should be roughed up a little.

Good work, just my :twocents:
 Blix
10-20-2010, 4:09 PM
Looking good :)
 redrob41
10-20-2010, 4:39 PM
To me, they look more like cell shaded animation, rather than cinematic. With the bright colours, and smooth texture, they look quite plastic, which reminds me of Stormtrooper armour in the original movies.

If the clean, smooth look is what you're going for, then you're succeeding quite well.
 Xarwarz
10-20-2010, 4:45 PM
I like both of them, the in-game shots are much better looking than what I expected from the base skin's colorization.

I understand that you are going for a "cinematic" look with your textures, and I especially like the work you have done in your latest module enhancements... I will be installing them, and that will be the first of your mods I have done so with, so personal kudos! In those areas, the clean, as you say "cinematic" look befits an era where technology reigns and power is in limitless supply - things should look clean and perfect, unless you are in a battle zone.

The droids, however, might be different. Some droids are shiny and new looking, like CP3O's silver friend (e chuta to you too) in ESB. Some are like R2 - battle worn, carbon scored, scarred, etc. Thus the comments of others that I agree with to an extent... "too clean looking"

Therefore, if you want to make the best mod, and IMO make it truly cinematic, you need to mix it up. Some droids should be immaculate, especially on a droid planet. Others should be roughed up a little.

Good work, just my :twocents:

I see your point so droids should be nice textured others ruff textured but it since they may be in more than one area it may be difficult. so i just decided to do 2 versions one smooth type and one ruff type that way the user can pick and mix and match then everyone is happy.

Looking good :)

Thanks

To me, they look more like cell shaded animation, rather than cinematic. With the bright colours, and smooth texture, they look quite plastic, which reminds me of Stormtrooper armour in the original movies.

If the clean, smooth look is what you're going for, then you're succeeding quite well.

Yea everyone will see the textures in different ways. It does have the hard type material look of the stormtroopers.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
10-20-2010, 5:56 PM
With the bright colours, and smooth texture, they look quite plastic, which reminds me of Stormtrooper armour in the original movies.Yes, hard plastic, which definitely looks clean and has the futuristic look... This expresses what I see.

@Xarwarz - Yeah, it would be a lot more work to make individual .utc's for each droid with the appropriate texture, rather than replacing defaults. I understand :) And your compromise seems like a good idea... it will create a somewhat caste system-looking droid society, which is what I imagine is the case anyway :bdroid2: :3pdance:

Again, nice work!
 Xarwarz
12-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Added pics for progress i decided to add the baremetal shine to the droids that should give them the necessary metallic look.

Comments welcome
 logan23
12-29-2010, 10:52 PM
The red ones...remind me of Tron.....to many Tron comercials...everything neon feels like Tron,...glad im not in vegas....
 TimBob12
12-30-2010, 3:02 AM
I love those textures but not so keen on the ones with glow.

logan23: If you're looking for Tron

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206308)
 .:Lord Revan:.
12-30-2010, 6:28 PM
The red ones...remind me of Tron.....to many Tron comercials...everything neon feels like Tron,...glad im not in vegas....

Haha, ya it does.
 Earnur
10-23-2011, 1:16 PM
Very nice skins.
Did you ever released them?
 CptPriceless
10-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Oh baby. Definitely Xarwarz :] I don't know if it's just me but the metal feels a bit more like plastic... I don't know... But still, it looks great - as always. :) Keep it up!
 Fallen Guardian
10-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Not to put a damper on anything, they do look great, but this thread is almost a year old.
 Xarwarz
10-31-2011, 2:50 AM
Very nice skins.
Did you ever released them?

Not yet i have to take a break from modding so i dont lose interest... currently ill start working in january of next year during vacation time so i can focus..... but i have lots done.

Oh baby. Definitely Xarwarz :] I don't know if it's just me but the metal feels a bit more like plastic... I don't know... But still, it looks great - as always. :) Keep it up!

Actually the plastic look is just one version the other will be more metal look
Page: 1 of 1