Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

adding shine to armor

Page: 1 of 1
 bryzz
08-19-2010, 2:39 PM
ok i was working on sith apprentice armors and i then went to go add the alpha channel to make it shiny and it messed up the skin

if i reopen the saved file in gimp it still looks ok - i can even remove the alpha channel and it still looks perfect but when i open the model in gmax to see what it looks like i get this

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=668&pictureid=7254)

and if i use it in game it looks the same with all of the colors messed up - yet it is shiny
 Rtas Vadum
08-19-2010, 7:13 PM
How exactly did you add the alpha channel? If you selected the armored sections, then used the "Color to Alpha" tool, it should add the shine similar to how it is on the Sith Soldier textures. You might want to keep a backup layer that has the armor sections without the alpha channel, just in case the shine is either to much, or to little, its easier to redo.
 bryzz
08-19-2010, 7:40 PM
ok - well i selected the armor sections and did the color to alpha yes - what is this about a backup layer with the armor sections without the alpha channel??

the issue i am having is that the white-gray color of the armor turned blue-pink-and purple in some parts after i save with the alpha channel but i dont kno how to fix it because if i open up the skin in gimp again after i save it it looks the way it should - white-gray - its why i am so confused
 Rtas Vadum
08-19-2010, 7:51 PM
ok - well i selected the armor sections and did the color to alpha yes - what is this about a backup layer with the armor sections without the alpha channel??

Not really something you need to do, but its just in case you don't like how the effect turns out in-game. That way, if you feel it is either too shiny, or not shiny enough, you could load up the texture again, delete the layer with the alpha channel. Then you just duplicate the layer without the channel, and use the Color to Alpha tool on the duplicated layer to get the transparency you want.

the issue i am having is that the white-gray color of the armor turned blue-pink-and purple in some parts after i save with the alpha channel but i dont kno how to fix it because if i open up the skin in gimp again after i save it it looks the way it should - white-gray - its why i am so confused

Does the blue-pink color appear on the saved tga file? Or in-game?
 bryzz
08-19-2010, 7:58 PM
just in-game

if i open the file it looks the way it should
 Sith Holocron
08-20-2010, 1:59 AM
What does it look like in GIMP?
 bryzz
08-22-2010, 6:11 PM
What does it look like in GIMP?

it looks like this with the alpha channel

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=668&pictureid=7281)

and this without it

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=668&pictureid=7282)
Page: 1 of 1