Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

SW:TOR Definitely NOT Coming to Consoles

Page: 1 of 1
 News
03-30-2010, 1:30 AM
Despite another rumor that Star Wars: The Old Republic would be coming to consoles as well as PC stemming from a Game.co.uk listing for the game, community manager Sean Dahlberg has made it perfectly clear what platform the game is being made for.Quote from SeanDahlberg (Source)I know many of you have heard this before but [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/swtor-definitely-not-coming-to-consoles/)
 LordOfTheFish
03-30-2010, 2:32 PM
You suck LA.

Now I will have no way of getting TOR unless I purchase a better computer that's meant for gaming.
 Alkonium
03-30-2010, 3:28 PM
This isn't too surprising. Very few MMO's these days are released on consoles. Plus, it would need a lot of dumbing down if it were to be released on any console.
 Gurges-Ahter
03-30-2010, 4:47 PM
You suck LA.

Now I will have no way of getting TOR unless I purchase a better computer that's meant for gaming.

You might need a better computer, but I don't think you'll need one "meant for gaming".

I'm pretty much unaffected by this news - I think it was already assumed this would be PC-only (since it's an MMO), and I much prefer PC games to console games anyway.
 TKA-001
03-30-2010, 5:17 PM
 Jeff
03-30-2010, 7:56 PM
Yeah, they were pretty clear it was only for PC even before this rumor popped up.

LordoftheFish, unless your computer is ancient you may be able to run it as they are making the game playable on as many machines as possible. That is part of the reason for their more stylized graphics instead of more realistic graphics.
 LordOfTheFish
03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah, they were pretty clear it was only for PC even before this rumor popped up.

LordoftheFish, unless your computer is ancient you may be able to run it as they are making the game playable on as many machines as possible. That is part of the reason for their more stylized graphics instead of more realistic graphics.

Actually I should have clarified that I'm using a laptop. I have serious lagging problem with games that have good graphics, even if they are stylized.
 Jeff
03-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Ah, ok. Well who knows, maybe by the time this game finally comes out you'll have a new one. :p

I guess I would say (for anyone) that if your computer can run WoW smoothly, it will be able to run TOR. That is just a guess.
 Blix
03-30-2010, 11:46 PM
A stupid decision IMO, they would be increasing their profits by making it a multi-platform game.
 RogueJedi86
03-31-2010, 12:13 AM
A stupid decision IMO, they would be increasing their profits by making it a multi-platform game.

Because WoW is failing because of its not being on consoles, right? Same for all other MMOs going back to the beginning, right? FFXI and EverQuest Online Adventures are the only 2 MMOs I know of that are on consoles, and FFXI is also on PC.
 Tommycat
03-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Increasing the number of purchasers is only important in a zero sum game like single player games. With an MMO, you have PC gamers with multiple accounts, being run on the same machine by dual logging. Or they have several family members logging in on multiple machines.

We also already discussed this before... Why no console version... In order to make a console version that is playable by the majority of console gamers, you have to dumb down the controls. FFXI was a console MMO ported to PC, and done very poorly(not going to talk about the console version which I hear is pretty good)... Cross platform games tend to be bad for one of the platforms.

Then there's the development time. twice the dev time, and twice the testing time. ten times the bugs, twice the nerf whining(Console guys have it too easy, PC guys are able to beat me all the time, PC/Console is an instant "I WIN" button") FFXI gets around it by ignoring everyone
 Darth_Sasuna
03-31-2010, 6:22 AM
lol look at that pc only good thing im not buying it that game is a dissappointment, i mean really LA how much stupider can you get? get rid of this one a give us the game we really wanted the ending to revans storie tell us what happen to him that is the game we want him and the exile not a new series. not ot meniton with pc only you will have very few buys you morons. be lucky i u get past 2 mil
 Astor
03-31-2010, 9:30 AM
This hardly seems a shock announcement.

Where do these rumours keep coming from anyway?
 Gurges-Ahter
03-31-2010, 11:55 AM

I disagree. Making it a multi-platform game would increase revenues, but not necessarily profits. In fact I'd guess that it would almost definitely not increase profits. The cost of porting the game from PC to each console isn't insignificant, and the vast majority of MMO gamers will be using a PC anyway. That's what drives the profit margin for MMOs.
 Darth_Sasuna
03-31-2010, 12:28 PM
i see your point ahter but alot more people play games on xbox for instance or in better words spend more time on an xbox than pc at least out of all the ppl i know, yes it may not increase profits but indeed revenues, you still would have people who dont have pc's but xboxs and ect. not to mention it is cheaper to buy a xbox than to geta good gaming pc for an mmo so in result more ppl may acually haave wanted it for a console you see my point?
 Tommycat
03-31-2010, 1:10 PM
i see your point ahter but alot more people play games on xbox for instance or in better words spend more time on an xbox than pc at least out of all the ppl i know, yes it may not increase profits but indeed revenues, you still would have people who dont have pc's but xboxs and ect. not to mention it is cheaper to buy a xbox than to geta good gaming pc for an mmo so in result more ppl may acually haave wanted it for a console you see my point?

Not necessarily. For one it's higher risk to develop for two platforms. Initial costs to develop a second version would be darn high.

People you know may play xbox, but how many pay a monthly fee to play a game. I would bet that they probably mostly play single player games. Or games where there is no monthly fee to access the online content. better than 5 million active accounts for WoW pay a monthly fee(the 11M number comes from Asian pay per play accounts). That's $15x5 MILLION. or $75 MILLION every month. With yearly PROFITS of over a billion dollars. I think it's safe to say there is no shortage of a market pool on the PC side. And honestly, as for the cost of a "gaming" computer capable of running TOR might actually be lower than the cost of a console with the HD necessary for patching. WoW can be run on a fairly old machine.

I mean I could pick one of those machines up for almost free
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/technology.html)

P4 1.3Ghz? I have one of those collecting dust in my shed out back. If one of my friends asked for it, they could have it. FREE! Heck I'd even pay them for the trouble.

A quick look on craigslist, and I already found a PC that would run WoW for under $100. I could go to the 3.2 Ghz Gateway with 1GB RAM for $110. Sooo cost of equipment is pretty well out the window if you want to compare... and most PC's don't run the risk of RROD.

Wait... I know... You want to use the TV for gaming, right? Um.... I'm sitting on my couch with a wireless keyboard, and mouse posting this. WHILE playing CoV through WINE(running Linux right now).
 RogueJedi86
03-31-2010, 2:05 PM
How many 5 year old xbox games have the 11 million players that WoW has? That's right, none. Sasuna, the fact that you're posting here means you have a PC which means your computer can run TOR. I'm not saying that for sure, but I'm pretty sure no one who regularly posts on the internet is still using a 400mhz Windows 98 machine.

WoW has 11 million players and it's done just fine without ever coming out on consoles, so I don't see your point on "it'll fail if it doesn't come out on console". Can you name any MMOs on consoles? Probably not, and I can only name 1: Final Fantasy XI, and it's far from the only other guy in town. There's hundreds of MMOs on the market, and less than 5 are on consoles, and none of those are huge hits. FFXI does have a respectable steady 500k going on for years though, so there is that. But it's an exception to the PC MMORPG rule.

And earlier you spoke of a game that would say what happened to Revan and the Exile like TOR couldn't do that. Revan was a very famous figure, I'm sure he'll still be remembered a mere 300 years down the road. BioWare has even said we'll find out what happens to him. Just like WoW still talks about all its lore figures, TOR will talk about Revan. Maybe you forgot the part where BioWare has said TOR will be story-focused, which leaves a lot of room to focus on the loose ends from KotOR. KotOR2 likely won't get much focus, since BioWare seems to be ignoring that (if their recent description of what happened to Revan is any judge), which is kinda understandable since Obsidian made KotOR2, not BioWare.

Just have faith.
 Gurges-Ahter
03-31-2010, 2:30 PM
And earlier you spoke of a game that would say what happened to Revan and the Exile like TOR couldn't do that. Revan was a very famous figure, I'm sure he'll still be remembered a mere 300 years down the road. BioWare has even said we'll find out what happens to him. Just like WoW still talks about all its lore figures, TOR will talk about Revan. Maybe you forgot the part where BioWare has said TOR will be story-focused, which leaves a lot of room to focus on the loose ends from KotOR. KotOR2 likely won't get much focus, since BioWare seems to be ignoring that (if their recent description of what happened to Revan is any judge), which is kinda understandable since Obsidian made KotOR2, not BioWare.

Just have faith.

Also worth mentioning - TOR has already dropped some bits of info about Revan on the website and webcomic. Those hints point to learning a lot more about him, especially the Threat of Peace comic that showed the Sith targeting Satele due to her Revan bloodline.

Additionally, on another thread someone posted direct quotes from one of the game developers that stated that the same people who developed Revan's story in KotOR are also working on the story for TOR. They are probably more interested in the storyline than even we are.
 RogueJedi86
03-31-2010, 2:35 PM
Additionally, on another thread someone posted direct quotes from one of the game developers that stated that the same people who developed Revan's story in KotOR are also working on the story for TOR. They are probably more interested in the storyline than even we are.

Yup, Drew Karpyshyn was the head writer on KotOR1 and Mass Effects 1 & 2, and he picked up his family and moved from BioWare HQ in Edmonton Canada to BioWare Autin in Austin Texas just to keep writing for TOR. So the guy who wrote KotOR1 is writing on TOR. If that's not a show of faith for TOR, I don't know what is. How many other writers would move their entire family thousands of miles just to help write an MMO follow-up to a game they co-wrote?
 Rinku
03-31-2010, 2:58 PM
This hardly seems a shock announcement.

Where do these rumours keep coming from anyway?

QFT

I thought this had been established a while ago....
 Tommycat
03-31-2010, 3:42 PM
How many other writers would move their entire family thousands of miles just to help write an MMO follow-up to a game they co-wrote?
Well Texas is significantly warmer than Alberta... warmer weather means more bathing suits and less parkas.... Just sayin....
 Darth_Sasuna
03-31-2010, 4:01 PM
i can name a mmo on xbos and xbos 360 phantasy star universe on phantasy star online so yea, and btw will these mmo accs be only playable online for the story or can i purchase a copy and play it without going online, and will i have to pay for them anyone know?
 RogueJedi86
03-31-2010, 4:08 PM
I think Phantasy Star Online/Universe shut down. That's a second console MMO, and that one wasn't a big MMO either (barely a blip on the radar if I recall). Try again.

And no, you gotta pay the monthly fee. Most MMOs give you the first month free after purchase though, so you could try to beat the entire game in just a month. Good luck on that though, since every class will have a storyline that's as long as the original KotOR at least. If you wanna cross the bridge, you gotta pay the toll.
 Darth_Sasuna
03-31-2010, 4:28 PM
oh i didnt know if their would even be a toll, and i nameda mmo that is what you said to do so i did xp but damn lol i could ebat itin a month but it would be cheating and i wouldnt do it anyway not that i can....yet......., or i can just wait till someone types the entire thing p then read it lmao jk jk(bet u some moron will to)
 Tommycat
03-31-2010, 6:09 PM
Heh... if somebody comes along and beats TOR in one month, playing through all 8 story lines, and maxing their character doing all the side quests, or even a few of them, then more power to them. Chances are they would have skipped 99% of the game to do it. If they want to just "beat" the game in a month, I'm sure it can be done. I mean a lot of people get their toons to max level in a short time(usually alts). But I would actually like to... ya know... play the game.

There are a couple console MMO's, and isn't it ironic that you just happened to pick the example of a FAILED console MMO after saying how a console MMO would add revenue. Good choice. Helps out Bioware's position of not creating a console version quite nicely.

Here's the list of console MMO's
Final Fantasy XI
Everquest Online Adventures
Phantasy Star

And that's it. Of the 3 the most successful is FFXI. with sub numbers in the 200 - 500k range
EQOA has around 20-50k
And well PSU... They are shutting down servers...

Here's a nice breakdown of why console MMO's just don't work.
http://www.mmocrunch.com/2008/02/08/why-console-mmorpgs-cant-cut-it/)
 RogueJedi86
03-31-2010, 6:18 PM
In FFXI's defense, it's on basically all the non-Nintendo consoles of the past 2 generations(PS2, Xbox, PS3 through backwards compatibility, and Xbox 360) and PC. I have nothing bad to say about FFXI, it did what it did well, and it's remained one of the most popular non-WoW MMOs. But it also had to put itself on 4 consoles plus PC just to get to that point. Putting TOR on just 360 and/or PS3 wouldn't do much.
 Darca Lar
04-03-2010, 7:38 PM
I don't have the comuter for it, but I wouldn't mind investing in one once I get the money; and I'd only get the best!
 Darth Avlectus
04-04-2010, 2:04 AM
Waiting until after the game comes out to make your own machine...always a good idea. Plus making it yourself is FUN.
 Darca Lar
04-05-2010, 1:39 AM
Making it yourself is a great idea, you get all the parts you want to make a beast of a machine!
 akgriffin
04-11-2010, 12:00 PM
just bought me a new alienware just for this game. I have been waiting 3 yrs for this game, the last 12 months are killing me.
 True_Avery
04-11-2010, 7:57 PM
alienware
:( wai you do dat
 urluckyday
04-11-2010, 8:52 PM
:( wai you do dat

Exactly what I was thinking haha
 Gigalmesh
04-12-2010, 6:25 AM
Dumbing it down for consoles would kill the game for me
 Darca Lar
04-13-2010, 2:14 AM
I hope to get a Venom for my gaming needs. Someone told me that they might be closing shop soon though. It would play so well with TOR
 Qui-Don Jorn
06-23-2010, 11:06 PM
lol look at that pc only good thing im not buying it that game is a dissappointment, i mean really LA how much stupider can you get? get rid of this one a give us the game we really wanted the ending to revans storie tell us what happen to him that is the game we want him and the exile not a new series. not ot meniton with pc only you will have very few buys you morons. be lucky i u get past 2 mil

What is this "we" crap?
I for one couldnt care less about either of them and am anxiously awaiting TOR. Imo, K1 kinda sucked and K2 was really alot better..but i mean played em both and, whatever..he went off to fight whats about to happen in TOR.
Maybe he was killed, maybe he died of old age...whatever. Sorry, but you sound obsessed.
Ill tell ya what happened to Revan...he died.
Onwards!!!
 adamqd
06-24-2010, 5:53 AM
When he says "we", he means a massive majority (and Please, mass majority isn't everyone, so please don't quote me saying "Well I came here cus of Rogue Squadron?! so explain yourself...")of this forum came here via the KotOR forum but more the KotOR forum tbh, and although we are open minded and a few do want an MMO full stop, a lot of us were expecting a KotOR III. but, yes, he shouldn't speak for everyone, but for the record this is a KotOR loving place bud hehe :)
 JediAthos
06-24-2010, 8:32 AM
I'm pretty sure they won't have a problem selling the game...the only MMO that I'm aware of that has been published on consoles if Final Fantasy. World of Warcraft is PC only and makes a killing so obviously there is a market to be had if LucasArts and Bioware can capture the potential and make a truly great game. Rest assured Darth Sasuna they know what they're doing.
 RogueJedi86
06-24-2010, 9:07 AM
EverQuest Online Adventures and Phantasy Star Universe(or maybe World) were published on consoles too, but, as you can tell by not having heard of them, they basically failed.
 Qui-Don Jorn
06-28-2010, 1:50 AM
When he says "we", he means a massive majority (and Please, mass majority isn't everyone, so please don't quote me saying "Well I came here cus of Rogue Squadron?! so explain yourself...")of this forum came here via the KotOR forum but more the KotOR forum tbh, and although we are open minded and a few do want an MMO full stop, a lot of us were expecting a KotOR III. but, yes, he shouldn't speak for everyone, but for the record this is a KotOR loving place bud hehe :)

Yeah, no..all cool. I must admit i am extremely new to this world as i just started playing TSL in jan. 2010. It was released, what like 2005?, so,..5 years later,..and fell in love with it for some reason. Then just to see what the hubbub was about i bought K1 and played it, (had a horrible time of it too, it kept crashing)..so i'd understand the full story. But i still dont, cause theres alot more to the stories than the games obviously,..(or is there?)
Really i think im just trying to understand WHY Revan is such a popular character, it's obvious that he is,...but *why*? There must be something im missing..
I think TOR will be amazing, cant wait, i guess im a type of person that dosent necessarily need 'closure' that much, per se. i get that Revan went off to fight whats coming in TOR,..which is why its 300 years later than Kotor, so thats cool with me. I dunno whatever, i better shutup cause this is wrong place..
 Darth Avlectus
06-28-2010, 3:08 AM
^^^A major reason is fanboy/girl-isms for popularity. Characters like these are liked because of their potential for being pivotal (like vader/skywalker) and important in the SW universe and the fact you can make them whatever you choose to.

You actually have a very sober and objective perspective going in. Not surprised you like KOTOR even this many years after its release.

There's a reason these games are considered some of the greatest. They're lovable and fun to play. That isn't bragging as you, a relative newcomer, and your falling in love with it is proof enough.
 ChAiNz.2da
06-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Really i think im just trying to understand WHY Revan is such a popular character, it's obvious that he is,...but *why*? There must be something im missing..

^^^A major reason is fanboy/girl-isms for popularity. Characters like these are liked because of their potential for being pivotal (like vader/skywalker) and important in the SW universe and the fact you can make them whatever you choose to.

Agree with GTA :)
and to be totally honest.. when I first played K1, I really wasn't in to Revan.. *until* that one fateful moment in the game. The revelation point. Biggest stunner I've had to date in a game (luckily it wasn't spoiled when I played). I think because of that shock, the Revan character, and popularity stuck with me over the years.

Maybe it's some sort of narcissistic vodoo :lol:
 Qui-Don Jorn
06-30-2010, 3:34 AM
Agree with GTA :)
and to be totally honest.. when I first played K1, I really wasn't in to Revan.. *until* that one fateful moment in the game. The revelation point. Biggest stunner I've had to date in a game (luckily it wasn't spoiled when I played). I think because of that shock, the Revan character, and popularity stuck with me over the years.

Maybe it's some sort of narcissistic vodoo :lol:

Ya know, I kinda figured that had something to do with it.
Thanks..

Still, I'll be playing TOR whether it destroys Kotor canon or not. And whether I dislike Bioware or not..:)
(just read that thread over there about all that.. and wow! btw)
 Darth Avlectus
06-30-2010, 8:20 PM
Hey, I had bits and chunks by rumors and pictures alluding to the moment...so I put pieces together and figured it out before I got to that point but it still wasn't spoiled for me because I was in a shocked state of denial and that moment blew it away. It was the single most gratifying moment in gaming I have had to date.

You know...I've looked time and again what the developer/story writer said about Revan... He says "they were turned" (implying somehow not willingly), but I wonder now if Revan didn't "pull a Qel-Droma". Like he had a controlled embrace of the dark side and knew a certain line not to cross on some level so that he was not completely corrupted. Like the Emperor had something Revan wanted as a lure, but that Revan was a tricky son-of-a-gun and sort of out for his own at that particular point (I am not a subscriber to the theory he was a completely goody-good guy)... See that way he could have fallen, but not so far as to be irretrievable (like Skywalker) and it doesn't ruin the "redemption" in the storyline of K1 either... Just a thought.
Page: 1 of 1