Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

using the patcher

Page: 1 of 1
 vanir
01-05-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm not much of an expert with the patcher I'm afraid. And it seems just about every second thread ever made has the word patcher in it, making site seaches for specific issues difficult.

doing some 2da edits via the patcher, I'm also installing the vanilla versions of those files just in case they aren't already in override. All good.
Problem is the installer gives warnings for these files if they already are in override, which I don't want it to do. If the files are already there, just edit them and make backups, don't give me an error log for not having to install them in the first place.

It'll freak out vanilla gamers who d/l my mod.

Problem is the v112 patcher has all the instructions, and I think this might be a feature of 117 which comes with no instruction/readme's. Aw hell I start seeing spots anyway reading through 112 instructions (I wound up just looking over how other people are making their changes.ini files for certain mods and guessing/trial and error).

Okay so how do I make the Patcher install say, itemcreate.2da if it isn't already in override, then edit it to my tastes. And if it is already there, just edit the one that is there and make a backup. And don't give an error log if it doesn't need to install itemcreate.2da into override.
?? :(
 Star Admiral
01-06-2010, 2:05 AM
Never had this issue before. What did you set the LogLevel, InstallerMode, and BackupFiles values to in your changes.ini file? Setting them as follows generates no error or warning messages for me.

LogLevel=3
InstallerMode=1
BackupFiles=1

Hope it works for you.

- Star Admiral
 vanir
01-06-2010, 2:58 AM
I even lowered the log level so it wouldn't list warnings...here's what I got

[Settings]
FileExists=1
WindowCaption=create robes
ConfirmMessage=N/A
LogLevel=2
InstallerMode=1
BackupFiles=1

• Installation started 1/6/2010 2:29:31 PM...
• Modifying file "itemcreate.2da" found in Override folder...
• Saving unaltered backup copy of itemcreate.2da in D:\Kotor2 downloads\TSL tools_patches\TSLPatcher\robes mod\backup\itemcreate.2da
• Updated 2DA file C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\override\itemcreate.2da.
• Modifying file "itemcreatemira.2da" found in Override folder...
• Saving unaltered backup copy of itemcreatemira.2da in D:\Kotor2 downloads\TSL tools_patches\TSLPatcher\robes mod\backup\itemcreatemira.2da
• Updated 2DA file C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\override\itemcreatemira.2 da.
• Installing unmodified files...
• Done. Changes have been applied, but 2 warnings were encountered.

And of course what I'm worried about is freaking out people who d/l the mod but aren't very used to modding, with them sitting there wondering if the warnings mean their installation has just been messed up.
 Star Admiral
01-06-2010, 12:19 PM
What exactly do the two warnings say?

- Star Admiral
 vanir
01-06-2010, 3:48 PM
with loglevel=3 they say itemcreate.2da is already in override, skipping file
itemcreatemira is already in override, skipping file

it's not an error, but just that I noticed in some mods it doesn't give these warnings even though base 2da's are included with the mod in case your override doesn't have them.
So I know there's a way to set up the patcher so it doesn't give warnings for that, I just don't know how to do it.
 stoffe
01-06-2010, 3:54 PM
with loglevel=3 they say itemcreate.2da is already in override, skipping file
itemcreatemira is already in override, skipping file

it's not an error, but just that I noticed in some mods it doesn't give these warnings even though base 2da's are included with the mod in case your override doesn't have them.
So I know there's a way to set up the patcher so it doesn't give warnings for that, I just don't know how to do it.

Make sure you don't have the 2DA files in the InstallList (files to be copied to override etc) as well if they are modified by the patcher. That section should just be for files that aren't modified and just need to be copied over to some location within the game folder. If you have the files in the InstallList too it'll either overwrite the files that have just been modified (if set to replace existing) or issue warnings like that.
 vanir
01-06-2010, 5:48 PM
So do I just place the unmodified 2da files in the tslpatchdata folder, and just write the edits for them in the changes.ini, and if those 2da files aren't already in override the Patcher simply "knows" to put them in?
Awesome!

Just to be clear...I put nothing under [InstallList] and make no lines for [install_folder#]

simply put the vanilla 2da's in the tslpatchdata folder

put edits in the changes.ini

and if the override doesn't already have those 2da files, the Patcher will put them in?
 Star Admiral
01-06-2010, 8:22 PM
Exactly. The patcher will take care of all the work, assuming you created the changes.ini file correctly.

- Star Admiral
Page: 1 of 1