Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Possible 'Old Republic: Origins' Concept.

Page: 1 of 1
 .:Sam:.
10-10-2009, 3:19 PM
Of late I’ve been brainstorming an idea similar to that in which the Marvel film series took, in which a particular character is focused on, and his/her past is revealed to the audience (or in this case the player). I believe that it would create an enjoyable experience for the players and if I am able to develop a decent enough story, a great modification for the Old Republic series.

During my brainstorming, I decided that the best character to focus on to create an enjoyable modification around would be Carth Onasi, so that we can really show the player the rough struggle that was his past which shaped the untrusting character we see in the original KOTOR game. We only ever get a mention of his family (aside from Dustil) therefore to actually meet them and see them, and be there with Carth during the attack on Telos would be great!

My idea, was to start the project playing as Carth when he is a child (like Fable) or a teenager, so that the players can follow him and see how he rose to the position of the Republic he is in, which we see at the beginning of Knights of the Old Republic. I imagined the Endar Spire incident from his point of view so the exploration of his character could go all the way up until that moment. The modification could show his childhood on Telos, rising to being a member of the TSF and his involvement in the Mandalorion Wars (and ultimately showing how he ended up on the Endar Spire at the beginning of Kotor)

Though the concept is very rough at the moment I thought I’d bring it up with you guys and see what your opinions on it is, and if you reckon it holds the potential and worth to develop and would make a good enjoyable modification. (If I’m not allowed to do this, I do apologize.)
 darth-me
10-10-2009, 3:52 PM
If you are a very skilled modder, and I just haven't heard of you, ignore all of this:

Compared to some I've seen, it's a very good idea! It probably could make a very good mod. However, what you will soon be told, and you should listen to them, as I know they're right from my own experience with kotor modding, is that a project this big is almost certain to fail, and that even if you succeed it will take years to do it well. But my opinion isn't worth much, so do whatever you want.
 Quanon
10-10-2009, 4:07 PM
Interesting conpect you got here.

Darth-Me already warned you, that this seems are a rather big involved mod.
Though you mentioned its a rough version: so work that out to its full extend.

Having a good lead of what you want and how it needs to look will help you in making this. Most projects run to a still, because a small team just starts out of the blue, with little planning.

Of course, expect to do most of the work yourself. Often you'll start with enthousiastic fellow modders, but they'll dissapear, thanks to real life most of the time :p

Unless you're sure you got good communication and something easy to share files you're working on. Anyway, work out your idea further, setup a plan, then start.

Expect to adjust the plan on the go, not everything is possible in the game :)
10-10-2009, 4:37 PM
It will be difficult, yes. And I haven't exactly got much of a name for myself at the moment but as long as I keep myself motivated over the next few years hopefully things will go according to plan. (I'm optimstic, gotta count for something. ;))

Voices with Carth won't be a problem if I made him the playable character but I'd love to have the oppurtunity to write his initial meeting with Basitla using bits and pieces she's already said, if you get what I mean.

I am, or was, in contact with people who are still on my MSN from previous projects back in my younger days so if I can get them all eager I personally believe I have a good shot at attempting this.
 logan23
10-10-2009, 4:51 PM
Hey,

Its an interesting concept.

I would not go back to the child of Carth unless its just a conversation flash back.

I would start off with breaking the idea into chapters.

You could start off with him being young as the age of Dustil and have him go through an event that will also have him meet his future wife.

Then move to a few other moments in his life unless you are telling a story that he took part in like a secret covert mission for the republic.

I would end it with the mission of the attack on Telos IV.

For fun you could have a the characters from the kotor comic pop in as cameos.

This could be played as Carth tells Revan in kotor1 about his past and activate the flashback game.

You could have him meet Bastila and your other ideas.

Good luck

Logan
10-10-2009, 6:49 PM
I think it'd be good to show a significant detail about his childhood which motivated him to join the TSF, but I agree, it should start of in his teenage years. And maybe a flashback when necessary.

I like the idea of cameos and it being a flashback. It could be merged with the main storyline in which Carth reveals his past entirely after becoming aware of what Revans nature is, or he meets a character (in a cantina ofcoarse :P) of great importance from his past which leads to telling Revan more about it.

I definately agree that it should be for Knights of the Old Republic 1, as though TSL contains Telos, it's the planet after the attack which is no good. (I can see Dantooine working in it's place with a little retexturing. The estates would make a perfect for Carths childhood home)
What do you think?
 logan23
10-10-2009, 8:17 PM
Hey,

I like the idea of cameos and it being a flashback. It could be merged with the main storyline in which Carth reveals his past entirely after becoming aware of what Revans nature is, or he meets a character (in a cantina ofcoarse :P) of great importance from his past which leads to telling Revan more about it.

I believe you have your mod's trigger.

I definately agree that it should be for Knights of the Old Republic 1, as though TSL contains Telos, it's the planet after the attack which is no good. (I can see Dantooine working in it's place with a little retexturing. The estates would make a perfect for Carths childhood home)
What do you think?

Dantooine would make for a great location for Telos IV.

The question is the purpose of the story, what do you want to show the player, what events in Carth's life. You would need story elements as well as game play with combat.

Ex. During a mission after the academy they were tracking down a criminal and his/her organization he ends up meeting his future wife. This allows you to play some combat and have something personal in his life happen. After this scene/quest; you have Carth jump onto another tangent about another moment in his life which will again have some combat and personal growth.

I would say the trend is his proud to be part of the Republic and his loyalty to his upper brass which Saul his mentor in times turns on him at the end with the attack on Telos IV.

My suggestions for moments are:

Meeting his wife for the first time

His bond with Saul and how they became close in terms of teacher and pupil

Death of his wife and Telos IV mirroring his death in his faith in others who might turn on him and destroy what he loves. You don't need to show his wife death on camera, just the sight of Telos being bombarded will capture the moment.

I would stick to only 3- 5 quests and some could be a few modules.

Logan
 ForeverNight
10-10-2009, 10:07 PM
I think it'd be good to show a significant detail about his childhood which motivated him to join the TSF

Eh, no. He's part of the Republic's Navy.

Otherwise, great idea! Can't really offer any help considering that my schedule is currently all screwed up, but neat!

Death of his wife and Telos IV mirroring his death in his faith in others who might turn on him and destroy what he loves. You don't need to show his wife death on camera, just the sight of Telos being bombarded will capture the moment.

Totally agree with this. If you just had the planet getting bombarded overlaid with some dramatic music and maybe a .bik showing Carth rushing towards his wife....... hmmm, I sense much potential in this approach.
 Slstoev
10-11-2009, 2:05 PM
Sam can you have a flashback if Revan is lightside and saves Dustil from the sith academy.Maybe a 10 minute flashback about Dustil's past and how he met Selene(his former girlfriend) and how ge got to Korriban and joined up with the sith.
 Darth Darkus
10-11-2009, 3:49 PM
good idea-wrong character, imo... I (and probably only me) would prefer to know more about Sion's past! It's a character we don't know too much about unless that he might have been lightside during the Mando Wars and the rest we know is what we learned from TSL...
but other wise good idea! You wanna do this for KotoR or TSL?
 Quanon
10-11-2009, 4:34 PM
I don't think Sion is going to sit down with tea and biscuits to talk about his "troubled" past with the exile.

Though, the new comic series from Dark Horse gives a very good hint, to who Sion is :p
10-11-2009, 5:07 PM
Eh, no. He's part of the Republic's Navy.

Otherwise, great idea! Can't really offer any help considering that my schedule is currently all screwed up, but neat!

Totally agree with this. If you just had the planet getting bombarded overlaid with some dramatic music and maybe a .bik showing Carth rushing towards his wife....... hmmm, I sense much potential in this approach.

You are correct, Carth was a member of the Republic Navy, but before this he was part of the TSF.

I like that, the dramatic music would make a brilliant effect! And that would make a brilliant ending, a simple fade out and then we go back to the Ebon Hawk with Carth saying how he can't remember her face.

Sam can you have a flashback if Revan is lightside and saves Dustil from the sith academy.Maybe a 10 minute flashback about Dustil's past and how he met Selene(his former girlfriend) and how ge got to Korriban and joined up with the sith.

As it stands the modification will end on Telos, and Carth had no knowledge about Dustil going to Korriban later on in the game so it would take away the effect of seeing Carths point of view of these events if we enlightened him to the situation.

good idea-wrong character, imo... I (and probably only me) would prefer to know more about Sion's past! It's a character we don't know too much about unless that he might have been lightside during the Mando Wars and the rest we know is what we learned from TSL...
but other wise good idea! You wanna do this for KotoR or TSL?

I'll probaly do this for KOTOR as I don't think I'm legally allowed to use text from KOTOR in TSL. (Carth's voiceovers)

I don't think Sion is going to sit down with tea and biscuits to talk about his "troubled" past with the exile.

Though, the new comic series from Dark Horse gives a very good hint, to who Sion is :p

I agree, and I wish t make it as canon as possible, and I have little detail about Sions past that I could expand on.

What I really want to do, is show Carth's meeting with Saul. I think perhaps if I do a small section with him as part of the TSF (I will have to get uncanon here as I am unsure how he went from TSF to Republic and if it'd make a good story element), there could be an incident of some kind - whether it be a kidnapping, a terrorist attack ect, and Carth is assigned to be in command when it comes to resolving the problem. After succesfully resolving it, he gets a reccomendatiion to consider joining the Republic and is referred to Saul, in which (after building on) could trigger their initial meeting.
 ForeverNight
10-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Ah, sorry, my bad then.

Edit; Just read wookieepedia, nada there on Carth leaving TSF. It's up to you/Holowan to make up a reason.
10-12-2009, 11:33 AM
I actually believe it is time to begin development now I've got a trigger, and I do not wish to reveal anything more so easily as to avoid ruining the fun you'll have with any future releases. But if anyone is interested or wants to contribute drop me a PM and we'll begin discussing!

As for this thread, I'll use it to show what's been done ect. So as of this moment this will be a WIP thread. :)
10-15-2009, 3:02 PM
Excuse my double posting but I have worked up an initial plot which will be the modifications trigger:

‘Time is passing, but the public of Telos IV will remember the fire and the ash for years to come. The grief stricken hearts of that day are not all in memory of the families lost and the innocent lives that were taken so abruptly from our grasp, but also of the ones who died in honour. The ones who surrendered their lives so willingly for the survival of another. We gather here this day not only to commemorate the bravery and self-sacrifice of the TSF whom put the community before themselves, but also in reassurance that such an event will not occur again. The movements that day promised us an escape from the evil desires and corruption this world has seen for far too long. Why? Because we as a people still stand tall! And so for all the brave souls who lost their lives four years ago to assure the survival of one less able. I raise my glass to you.’

- Thani City Senator, Alyx Ucas.

Ethan O’han, a man whom lost his family in the bombing of Telos IV lives his life waiting for fate to claim him and free him from the emotional abyss he has endured since the death of his loved ones is forced to rekindle his life as the past collides with the present on neutral inner rim planet Manaan. Years of living in isolation come to an end when former friend Carth Onasi arrives on Maanan with a mysterious character that has no previous relation with Ethan. Can this person be the one to relight the burnt out spark in Ethan O’han’s heart?

Basically, this new character will be explored in depth as a secondary protagonist along with Carth. After meeting him it will trigger the flashback in which Carth will 'tell us his origins' and also show his relationship with Ethan before he disappeared after the bombing. The inital dialouge with Ethan has been written to an extent but I won't reveal that to you now as to avoid spoiling it.

Also a request, I need someone who thinks they have what it takes to voice such a huge role. If anyone is interested could you drop me a PM and I'll talk to you in detail about it?

Thank You.
Page: 1 of 1