Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sony To Develop A Free-To-Play Clone Wars MMO?

Page: 1 of 1
 News
09-05-2009, 10:50 AM
The rumor? Sony Online Entertainment has once again partnered up with LucasArts to develop a browser-based Star Wars MMO set in the Clone Wars period. Sony would use the browser-based engine used to power free-to-play MMO Free Realms to develop the game and it would be aimed at a casual audience based on [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/sony-to-develop-a-free-to-play-clone-wars-mmo/)
 Jeff
09-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Moved this one to off-topic since it's not related to TOR, but was still relevant to post on the site. What do you guys think of more Clone Wars?
 Miltiades
09-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I ignore everything that is Clone Wars these days. It's aimed at a younger audience (the audience watching the animated series), so it wasn't going to be my cup of tea anyway.
 Mav
09-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't see why I wouldn't **** around with it considering its free.
 Web Rider
09-06-2009, 12:53 AM
WAT....Why on Earth would LucasArts make two MMOs at the same time? Divide and conquer is a strategy used AGAINST a competitor, not by yourself.
 Jeff
09-06-2009, 1:14 AM
WAT....Why on Earth would LucasArts make two MMOs at the same time? Divide and conquer is a strategy used AGAINST a competitor, not by yourself.I don't really think the audiences for TOR and a game like this are the same. With a browser based MMO, the playerbase are going to be casual and probably younger considering it will be based on the Clone Wars TV show.
 Web Rider
09-06-2009, 2:08 AM
I don't really think the audiences for TOR and a game like this are the same. With a browser based MMO, the playerbase are going to be casual and probably younger considering it will be based on the Clone Wars TV show.

My mistake, I missed the browser-based part. heh, tired.
 adamqd
09-06-2009, 6:54 AM
Have you ever thought something is so terribly crap, over done, and a hindrance to it's franchise... Yet it keeps returning like its a good thing or something?? I'm so sick of seeing this damn Cartoon network "hey kids it's Barney and Ahsoka' fun-day Disney Playground show!! This week because (as we keep saying) George is on board, we thought we'd retcon a few more books characters and storyline's for ya :)"
 purifier
09-06-2009, 11:27 AM
"Free-to-play" huh, well that's enough to get my attention. All though I'm no big fan of the Clone Wars, I think I'll just give it a shot and at the same time maybe increase my MMO experiance too. ;)

Who knows, could be fun.
 darthfergie
09-06-2009, 11:44 AM
If they make it, it's gonna be all about the kiddies. All of the kids that I coach absolutely love the clone wars and when I talk about the awesomeness of the Original Trilogy many of them have never even seen it. It really makes me sad. These kids are being raised on sugary delights of clone wars instead of the meat of the OT.

No children, Anakin is NOT cooler than Han Solo...who is Han Solo?!?! You know the guy who flies the Millennium Falcon. What's the Falcon?!?!
 Miltiades
09-06-2009, 12:57 PM
No children, Anakin is NOT cooler than Han Solo...who is Han Solo?!?! You know the guy who flies the Millennium Falcon. What's the Falcon?!?! One minute of silence for this sad news. :(
 Mandalore The Shadow
09-06-2009, 8:21 PM
I have not been impressed with the clone wars recently it is aimed at way too young an audiance and I would much rather see an original trilogy related MMO but it is free so I guess I'll check it out.
 Deadshot#1
09-06-2009, 10:14 PM
What does MMO stand for exactly?
 Jeff
09-06-2009, 10:25 PM
What does MMO stand for exactly?Massively Multiplayer Online.
 Deadshot#1
09-07-2009, 5:01 PM
Oh, I see thanks Jeff.
 Tommycat
09-10-2009, 12:02 AM
if it weren't for the free part, I probably wouldn't give it a second glance...

Clone Wars... Can't think of anything that makes older SW fans want to tear their hair out more... MAYBE Midichlorians...

SOE... um doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation within the MMO community... Can't think of a developer that makes MMO fans cringe more...
 Sabretooth
09-10-2009, 12:55 AM
I don't see why I wouldn't **** around with it considering its free.
Maverick is, as always, stunnifyingly correct.

And even if it ends up more boring than it should, we can probably close some pools with some /b/lackup. >_>
 Spadille
09-23-2009, 9:19 AM
I hope they are making it, even if it ends up as a tragidy.
Then LucasArts can figure out that it's not very good working with Sony...
And if it becomes a sucess, Hooray for me!
 Alkonium
09-23-2009, 9:50 AM
Since it's free, I'll have a look, though honestly, I don't see how they can make any sort of Star Wars RPG set during the movies. And yes, I am aware of Galaxies.
 TheRogueForums
12-09-2009, 7:40 AM
I ignore everything that is Clone Wars these days. It's aimed at a younger audience (the audience watching the animated series), so it wasn't going to be my cup of tea anyway.

Don't be so quick- the newer episodes are much more what we, as Star Wars fans, and not 5-year-olds, are used to.
 Jeff
12-09-2009, 7:42 AM
I hope this is not LucasArts's announcement at the Spike VGAs...
 TheRogueForums
12-09-2009, 7:55 AM
You can bank on it, unfortunately.
 Astor
12-09-2009, 10:12 AM
You can bank on it, unfortunately.

So certain, are you? (http://kotaku.com/5422190/what-the-deuce-is-star-wars-legends)
 TheRogueForums
12-09-2009, 3:29 PM
Hmmmm. You present an appealing case for review.
 darthfergie
12-10-2009, 4:56 PM
I doubt it'll be the kids title. From what Kotaku was saying it'll be Star Wars: Legends and it'll be rated M in australia. I doubt a kids title would be rated M.

(EDIT - Woops. Look before you leap. Just noticed Kaine's post was a link and not just text)
 Alexrd
12-10-2009, 7:28 PM
Don't be so quick- the newer episodes are much more what we, as Star Wars fans, and not 5-year-olds, are used to.

Indeed.

Some episodes yes. Others, not for such an young audience.

By that logic, ANH was made for a younger audience too. Did you ignored it?

I respect your opinion if you don't like the show, but it's a bit strange to judge a series for some episodes and completely ignoring the rest...

I'm 22, and I watch it. Am I a kid? :rolleyes:

As for the MMO, if it's free, what do I have to loose? I'll give it a try.
 Jae Onasi
02-10-2010, 12:02 AM
No children, Anakin is NOT cooler than Han Solo...who is Han Solo?!?! You know the guy who flies the Millennium Falcon. What's the Falcon?!?!
[robot chicken Darth Sidious]"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?!?[/robot chicken Darth Sidious]

My kids love clone wars, I find it to be OK. It's watchable and even enjoyable at times, but not something I'd watch 18 zillion times like the movies. The kids will love the MMO, I'll love the price.
 Gurges-Ahter
02-10-2010, 10:07 AM
I watch the Clone Wars with my kids (they are 5 and 3), but in all honestly, I think I enjoy it more than they do. They often get bored half-way through. However, they ALWAYS ask to watch the movies (both the OT and the PT), and never seem to tire of those.

As for the animated series - it's certainly not the OT - but I am surprised by the rampant criticism on these boards. The series is at least entertaining and, after a kiddish start, has really started to show some more grown-up themes.
 Alexrd
02-10-2010, 3:31 PM
As for the animated series - it's certainly not the OT - but I am surprised by the rampant criticism on these boards. The series is at least entertaining and, after a kiddish start, has really started to show some more grown-up themes.

Indeed. Many here judge the series by the movie, others say it's a kids show and don't even give it a shot. (and also forget that Star Wars movies were made for kids too.) I wished there was a Star Wars tv series like this during my childhood.

Many people out there say that the tv series is even better than the prequels. (Which in terms of story and acting, they're right)
 Gurges-Ahter
02-10-2010, 3:50 PM
Indeed. Many here judge the series by the movie, others say it's a kids show and don't even give it a shot. (and also forget that Star Wars movies were made for kids too.) I wished there was a Star Wars tv series like this during my childhood.

Many people out there say that the tv series is even better than the prequels. (Which in terms of story and acting, they're right)

That's a great point - I absolutely wish there was something like this when I was a kid. Hell I'm grateful for it now. With the droughts SW fans have had to suffer through, this is actually a really good time to be a fan with all that's out there and what's to come (i.e. the live action series).

Additionally, I have 2 kids (5 and 3), and sometimes my kids actually get scared during the show. The recent episode with the Geonosian mind-controlling worm-things freaked them out. There are also some pretty brutal deaths for a "kids show". One recent example is Bariss Offee and Ahsoka confronting a trooper that had been "infected" by the worms - the solution was quick and simple - a lightsaber through the chest at point blank range. She literally placed the hilt to his chest and ignited the saber. Not gory, but not aimed at kids either.

Ignoring the Mandalorian issue, which I'm still unsure about, I really like the direction Dave Filoni is taking the show.
 Alexrd
02-10-2010, 4:02 PM
That's a great point - I absolutely wish there was something like this when I was a kid. Hell I'm grateful for it now. With the droughts SW fans have had to suffer through, this is actually a really good time to be a fan with all that's out there and what's to come (i.e. the live action series).

Exactly. The best thing this show is doing is not letting Star Wars die. This show is creating a new generation of Star Wars fans, and pleasing the old ones.

Ignoring the Mandalorian issue, which I'm still unsure about, I really like the direction Dave Filoni is taking the show.

Me too. On a side note, the Death Watch bomber and his suicide was definitely not made for kids either.

About this game, here's a very recent print of Station Launcher. The info about TCW was removed some time after:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u74/bigbaldpapa/ScreenHunter_01Feb051703.gif)
 LordOfTheFish
02-12-2010, 10:28 AM
I cant believe I'm just now seeing this. If it's free I suppose it's worth a looksy, but I'm not expecting much...
 decalibron
06-16-2011, 2:19 AM
i dunno, i think it's worth a shot, despite being an SOE time-bomb. certainly better than the pathetic excuses of free-2-play MMOs i've been messing around with waiting for TOR...besides, when you don't pay, what do you have to lose?
 RoxStar
12-12-2011, 2:40 AM
I don't really think the audiences for TOR and a game like this are the same. With a browser based MMO, the playerbase are going to be casual and probably younger considering it will be based on the Clone Wars TV show.

Yeah I think it would be more akin to a Club Penguin or NeoPets.

The Clone Wars is a pretty meaty brand for LucasArts right now. They may as well strike while the oven is hot.

Although I seem to remember Sony Online and LucasArts sort of not doing so well with their other Star Wars MMO project....
Page: 1 of 1