Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Cataclysmic Threat

Page: 1 of 1
 darthfergie
08-26-2009, 12:36 PM
So what do you guys think about the recent WoW: Cataclysm announcement. Seems like it's going to be timed around the theoretical release of SW:TOR.
Several WoW players I've talked to recently who were giving SW:TOR a hard look are now yo-yoing back and forth.

We'd all planned to shift over to TOR on opening day and now with Cataclysm revamping all of the starting experience to something comparable to the Death Knight...well. We all know how enjoyable the Death Knight storyline is, and revamping all of the starter world to inject this same formula will be tough for SW:TOR to take on. That's almost guaranteed quality compared to SW:TOR's unknowns.

So what do you think? If Cataclysm and SW:TOR came out within a few weeks what do you do?
 leXX
08-26-2009, 4:46 PM
It's quite simple really, make the transfer to TOR. I really don't know why people are still playing WoW. After playing it for over 2 years, it got to the stage where I was grinding the same mats all day, and raiding the same instances all night, and that was it. After all the new content of an expansion is played through, that is what you are always left with.

At least with TOR, you get a whole new experience to start from the very beginning. Everything will be fresh and new and exciting, unlike WoW, which has become stale and old and boring.
 Pho3nix
08-26-2009, 4:50 PM
What leXX said.

Cataclysm looks interesting, but I doubt I'll ever return to WoW again after I ding 80 in the coming month(s).
 Jeff
08-26-2009, 5:24 PM
I actually just returned to WoW about a week before Blizzcon and hit 80 a few days ago now. I am not gonna lie, I'm kind of excited for Cataclysm. Leveling is not my cup of tea, and the fact that they are only raising the level cap by 5 levels is a huge plus for me. There are also a lot of other gameplay elements they are changing that I like (removing useless/confusing stats, etc). I do not like some of the new race/class combiniations at all (Tauren Paladin what), and the new races are not my first choices, but that stuff doesn't really affect me. I will almost definitely get both TOR and Cataclysm, play whichever comes out first, first (I hope the releases are not too close as I would love to get both on release day) and decide which I want to stick with permanently after that. No way I can afford or keep up with 2 MMOs at once.

Obviously I am still extremely excited for TOR, I just hope and wonder if it will have the staying power that WoW has.
 jrrtoken
08-26-2009, 5:53 PM
At least with TOR, you get a whole new experience to start from the very beginning. Everything will be fresh and new and exciting, unlike WoW, which has become stale and old and boring.And TOR is somehow impervious to this... in what way?
 leXX
08-26-2009, 6:25 PM
Where exactly did I say it was impervious to it?
 jrrtoken
08-26-2009, 7:05 PM
Where exactly did I say it was impervious to it?Nowhere; you did, however make it as if TOR will somehow be verily more exciting, original, and than WoW. While I'd definitely agree with that, excluding my general spite for WoW, I would say that we've barely seen [I]any larger examples of gameplay to further analyze TOR against WoW... and the examples that we have seen aren't too impressive, to boot.
 Hallucination
08-26-2009, 7:07 PM
I pretty much agree with what Jeff said on Cataclysm, but I liked levelling so the 1-60 makeover appeals to me, plus there's the fact that the 'new' TOR gameplay video shook my faith in Bioware a bit.

Nowhere; you did, however make it as if TOR will somehow be verily more exciting, original, and than WoW. While I'd definitely agree with that, excluding my general spite for WoW, I would say that we've barely seen [I]any larger examples of gameplay to further analyze TOR against WoW... and the examples that we have seen aren't too impressive, to boot.
What I think she means is that WoW is still going to be WoW, even if Blizzard trims down the unnecessary weight (really it just looks like they're more or less going back to the vanilla WoW stats), whereas TOR is going to be a new game without the players who know the game in and out and a new, unique system in a setting that's relatively untouched.
 leXX
08-26-2009, 7:16 PM
Nowhere; you did, however make it as if TOR will somehow be verily more exciting, original, and than WoW. While I'd definitely agree with that, excluding my general spite for WoW, I would say that we've barely seen [I]any larger examples of gameplay to further analyze TOR against WoW... and the examples that we have seen aren't too impressive, to boot.

I did no such thing. I simply said TOR will be exciting because it will be a new experience, whereas WoW players have been doing pretty much the same thing over and over. I'm certainly not insinuating that TOR will be a better game than WoW either.
 darthfergie
08-27-2009, 2:20 PM
I think I'm in it to win it. I've been craving a new SW experience for a while and since I sunk a few years into SWG this is all very nostalgic to me. I'll make the jump on day one.

It'll be tough to hold off on a new Azeroth if they end up coming out at the same time. It comes down to the fact that I'd rather be immersed in a world that I grew up with rather than a world that I didn't (I was a Command and Conquer fanboy, not Warcraft).

If SWTOR ends up a flop, WoW always saves my toons when I'm not playing.

Only thing I'm hoping for is that the rest of my guildies who have been looking at SWTOR make the jump as well.
Page: 1 of 1