Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

gameplay feature idea

Page: 1 of 1
 shukkoku
07-30-2009, 9:23 PM
Imagine if there was a feature in BF3 where you change to an overhead view and command your troops, real time strategy style. So you could coordinate your troops and do more damage.
Like you could drop more troops into a firefight or synchronize a battalion to take out a single target.
I think it would be cool to be able to switch between RTS and third person in real time so it wouldn't brake the flow. What do you guys think?
 Bokken
07-31-2009, 2:08 AM
No. First, the only time "coordinating" would be useful is online, and nobody would listen to you anyway. Second, I don't think any of us particularly care for an RTS game. I personally want an (F/T)PS.
 jondavis
07-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Maybe it could work but can't think how it would.
If we were fighting for the galaxy (not just one map) we would need someone to place how many troops and vehicles to each place where our forces are under attack the most or which planets your are trying to take control of.

But on a single map the only other time you can spawn in other then a command post is if there is some vehicle large enough to carry troops.
If you think a certain place needs attacked, move the vehicle there.

You could have a commander telling the troops which targets on the map need to be taken out or maybe where some plans are that need to be stolen.
Maybe he could see a overhead of the battle and could tell the players what is coming there way or how to avoid things to get somewhere.

If a flag or something could be carried from planet to planet and a player spawns in a map, maybe the commander there could let you know that your mission is to get that flag and this is the safest path.

Most of this of course requires very large maps and even moving from land to space and back.

I don't think trying to move troops would work except maybe in single player.
Forces can get scattered real easy, might just be better to tell them where they need to go.
 jawathehutt
07-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Clans might use it for a bit in practicing to get strategy down, then abandon it in favor of having an extra human on the field. If anyone tried to use it in a regular online game, the majority of what would come out of it would likely be suicide charges, drawing phallic symbols if there was a marker of sorts and whining about how no one listens to their flawless strategy of making a wall of fusion cutter wielding engineers to confuse the enemies.
 M@RS
07-31-2009, 7:13 PM
They could do what BF2 does. Allow the person to issue commands, then jump into the fight and change commands when needed to on the battlefield. That could prove to be very popular, IF done right.
Page: 1 of 1