Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A lightsaber mod for Republic Commando?

Page: 1 of 1
 Gamma097
07-04-2009, 7:25 PM
I've been thinking of the possibilities of a mod where players can wield and swing a lightsaber in Republic Commando, possibly similar to the Energy Swords in Halo 2 & 3. Does anybody think that it can be done?
 Trench
07-06-2009, 1:56 AM
You would probably have to make the animations yourself (if possible). I don't think tere are any melee animations for RC.:(
 HockeyGoalie35
07-11-2009, 7:22 PM
yea un less you could get fixer's melle attack to work?
 Trench
07-12-2009, 5:56 PM
What is this about Fixer's melee attack?
 Gamma097
07-13-2009, 6:29 PM
What is this about Fixer's melee attack?

Well, Fixer's favorite weapon, according to the hints in the game, is the 'Katarn' armor gauntlet vibroblade. Maybe that's what Hockey was referring to.
 HockeyGoalie35
07-14-2009, 3:41 PM
yes and no.it is his favorite but also if you look at him when he strikes, he swings his blaster down onto the enemy
 Gamma097
07-15-2009, 9:15 AM
yes and no.it is his favorite but also if you look at him when he strikes, he swings his blaster down onto the enemy

Oh, that's what you meant. It might not be of any use to this because it would only look right if his hands were placed so it would look like he's holding a lightsaber, not a DC-17m blaster.
 Trench
07-15-2009, 12:56 PM
It could be done, but it would take a pretty skilled animator to do it.
 HockeyGoalie35
07-15-2009, 3:39 PM
well, how bout the SB droid's cannon arm melee attack. he swings his arms down
 Trench
07-15-2009, 3:44 PM
You would have to apply that to the Commando using the saber, and using animations on models that they weren't made for always ends up with a lot of glitches.
 HockeyGoalie35
07-15-2009, 3:49 PM
well you are halfway there because you can find a lightsaber on the prosticutor on the mission, alone. at teh barricade before the you find the first trando elite, look to the right and crawl into the vent and look at teh clone body on the right......

speaking of weapons, im making a super ammo and rate of fire mod, intrested?

Merged double posts. Please use the 'edit' button instead of double posting in future :) - Astor.
 Trench
07-15-2009, 4:01 PM
Does the lightsaber actually activate and have the lighting and other effects? If not, then that's another thing that must be done.:(
 HockeyGoalie35
07-15-2009, 4:03 PM
no, but still.......maybe you could take a blastter projectile mesh and turn the texture green, then mount it on top?
 Trench
07-15-2009, 4:06 PM
That would be good, but first I'd have to learn the basics of RC modding, and whether or not it will work with the BoPC version:p
I'm speaking from my (slightly limited) knowledge of KotOR and TSL modding.
 HockeyGoalie35
07-15-2009, 4:14 PM
the only way to mod is use the unrealed in the repcom directory unless you are making meshes and stuff like that
 Trench
07-15-2009, 4:38 PM
Okay, I'll check out the UnrealEd. Is it a downloadable tool? Or does it actually come with the game?
 Gamma097
07-15-2009, 5:14 PM
Okay, I'll check out the UnrealEd. Is it a downloadable tool? Or does it actually come with the game?

It comes with the game. If you installed the game to the default directory, then it should be here: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Republic Commando\GameData\System

The file called UnrealEd.exe is Unreal Editor.

no, but still.......maybe you could take a blastter projectile mesh and turn the texture green, then mount it on top?

A blaster bolt would be a bit too short to be a lightsaber, it would have to be longer. Also, it wouldn't necessarily need to be a green lightsaber. I actually was thinking that it would be a different color, depending on where you found it. For example, the one on the Republic side would be blue, whereas the Trando one would be red.

Merged double posts. Please use the 'edit' button in future - Astor.
 Trench
07-15-2009, 5:21 PM
Well I found the UnrealEd.exe, and clicked it. But I can't use it.
The computer I use to mod is one of my dad's work laptops, and its owned by the company he works for. And those chakaaryc's have something that prevents me from using the UnrealEd. I could reinstall RC on this comp, but I wouldn't be able to test the mods once they were made. This comp might not even be able to run the UnrealEd.
I need a Macintosh.:(
 HockeyGoalie35
07-16-2009, 3:43 PM
Well I found the UnrealEd.exe, and clicked it. But I can't use it.
The computer I use to mod is one of my dad's work laptops, and its owned by the company he works for. And those chakaaryc's have something that prevents me from using the UnrealEd. I could reinstall RC on this comp, but I wouldn't be able to test the mods once they were made. This comp might not even be able to run the UnrealEd.
I need a Macintosh.:(

im not sure if that would fix the problem (re -installing)

and to Gamma: i just used green as an example, we could make it green on kyyssk, red on the Prostecutor and yellow on Geonosis, or somthing like that....:raise:
 Trench
07-16-2009, 4:03 PM
How about making it silver? That would add some uniqueness to it, as well as making it "work" for the commandos.
 HockeyGoalie35
07-16-2009, 4:05 PM
yea, i would have to ask a super moder like arramus or somthing
 Gamma097
07-16-2009, 8:38 PM
im not sure if that would fix the problem (re -installing)

and to Gamma: i just used green as an example, we could make it green on kyyssk, red on the Prostecutor and yellow on Geonosis, or somthing like that....:raise:

Maybe your fighting with Jedi on some parts of the campaign and the Jedi dies so you can take their lightsaber and use it. But that wouldn't make much sense because one would think that a Jedi would last longer in battle then a clone commando. And for multiplayer you just see the lightsaber on the ground and you can take it.
 Mandalore The Shadow
07-16-2009, 9:34 PM
It would be cool to see this done but as Mand'alor said it would take a skilled animator to make the animations but it would be worth it
 Trench
07-16-2009, 11:08 PM
I just thought of something, if Boss is the only one who will be using the saber, then we might not have to do to many animations after all.
Just some camera movements and the blade swinging and it could work.
It wouldn't look good if you were using the third person cheat, but then again, what does?
 Gamma097
07-17-2009, 1:27 PM
I just thought of something, if Boss is the only one who will be using the saber, then we might not have to do to many animations after all.
Just some camera movements and the blade swinging and it could work.
It wouldn't look good if you were using the third person cheat, but then again, what does?

That is true, but I was originally thinking that it would be in multiplayer and singleplayer. We would just need a few third person animations for multiplayer and a HUD view of the lightsaber that would be used for multiplayer and singleplayer.

By the way, with Unreal Editor, I took the lightsaber static mesh and put it in the Animation Browser on a clone trooper so it would look like he's holding a lightsaber. Only a few frames of a couple animations looked right, though.
 Trench
07-17-2009, 1:42 PM
We could do it in a way that causes him to lunge with the lightsaber when you select the melee attack for your deece.
 HockeyGoalie35
07-17-2009, 4:46 PM
yea that would be cool
 Gamma097
07-17-2009, 6:43 PM
We could do it in a way that causes him to lunge with the lightsaber when you select the melee attack for your deece.

So you're saying that if you melee while holding your Deece, then you'll pull out your lightsaber, ignite it, make a stabbing motion, turn it off and continue using your Deece, right?
 Trench
07-17-2009, 6:48 PM
So you're saying that if you melee while holding your Deece, then you'll pull out your lightsaber, ignite it, make a stabbing motion, turn it off and continue using your Deece, right?

Sure. It could work for a version 1.0
 HockeyGoalie35
07-17-2009, 9:05 PM
yea it could.....ill start to investigate, meshes and stuff like that
 Gamma097
07-18-2009, 8:39 AM
yea it could.....ill start to investigate, meshes and stuff like that

OK. By the way, I made some screenshots of Unreal Editor, showing what a clone with a one or two lightsabers would look like. I rotoscoped them with GIMP. I'll tell you guys when I post them.
 Trench
07-18-2009, 2:43 PM
Cool. I'll investigate a way to use the UnrealEd.
 HockeyGoalie35
07-23-2009, 12:20 PM
i cant find the texture for it.....
 Gamma097
07-24-2009, 12:11 PM
i cant find the texture for it.....

The lightsaber is a static mesh. If I'm not mistaken, there isn't a texture for it.
 HockeyGoalie35
07-24-2009, 10:33 PM
The lightsaber is a static mesh. If I'm not mistaken, there isn't a texture for it.

under what catigory?:confused:

and also, there is a flashlight mesh under HUD meshes. i know about nightvision but is there a way to turn on the flashlight?
 Gamma097
07-26-2009, 4:02 PM
under what catigory?:confused:

To be exact, the lightsaber static mesh is in the category: "AssaultShip_Carl," subcategory: "lightsaber."

and also, there is a flashlight mesh under HUD meshes. i know about nightvision but is there a way to turn on the flashlight?

If I'm not mistaken, the flashlight was part of the game until it got replaced by night vision.
 HockeyGoalie35
07-26-2009, 4:29 PM
so it was leftovers like the white skins?
 Gamma097
07-26-2009, 6:09 PM
so it was leftovers like the white skins?

What white skins are you talking about?
 Trench
07-30-2009, 1:24 AM
What white skins are you talking about?

I think he was talking about the white Commando skins.
 Gamma097
07-30-2009, 11:07 AM
I think he was talking about the white Commando skins.

Yeah, that makes sense now. Thanks.
 HockeyGoalie35
07-30-2009, 7:53 PM
and the "burnt commando" texture

(in the next realese of the supermod
 HockeyGoalie35
08-03-2009, 2:44 PM
can anyone find the commando knife mesh?
Page: 1 of 1