Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Friday Update - The Return of the Mandalorians

Page: 1 of 1
 News
07-03-2009, 3:50 PM
The third video in the SW:TOR timeline series was released today, detailing the return of the Mandalorians and their call to arms against the Jedi. The Keeper of the Jedi Archives has entered a new holorecord. Continuing his investigation, Master Gnost-Dural delves deeper into the history of the galaxy after discovering that the blockade that Hylo [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/friday-update-the-return-of-the-mandalorians/)
 adamqd
07-03-2009, 4:45 PM
Another great story and animation from Bioware, they always come up trumps in that respect, I just hope the large numbers of the community that will inevitably be groin organs, dont make all this hard work and preparation irrelevant when the game gets here... Bioware, Great stories, Continuity, good people, and Maturity= Win.
 Miltiades
07-03-2009, 5:22 PM
I enjoy these records, with every one they go back in time, my enthusiasm grows. Also, yay for Neo-Crusader armor. :)
 Quanon
07-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Another great timeline update.
Though I'm not sure if I like the pointy helmet look of the new Mandalore... it looks bit idiotic to me.

Another exciting thing could be that the Mandalorians are a class to play in the game.
A opposite of the trooper, perhaps more focused on close combat weapons and rage :p
 SW01
07-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Ah look - Mandalore the Gladiator. :lol: I think they took the gladiator/arena bit a little too far with the Maximus-style helmet, but apart from that they look like one of the more intriguing classes/groups/whatever they're going to be so far.

Hope to see more of them - and good that a Jango/Boba style has so far been avoided in favour of KotOR's style!
 Jeff
07-04-2009, 1:08 PM
I agree about hoping Mandalorian is a Sith faction class. If that happens, the Sith will by far have the cooler classes compared to the Republic so far at least. Sith, Bounty Hunter, and Mandalorian... I have been saying I'm going Jedi but that's tough to resist. We'll see if it happens. Pretty cool timeline.
 Hallucination
07-04-2009, 1:18 PM
I agree about hoping Mandalorian is a Sith faction class.
I'm just going to quote myself from the Big Bad Class Discussion thread:
You do know that the Mandalorians are a faction of people, not a job, right? That's akin to saying that you could be a Consular, a Sentinel, a Guardian or a Chinese Dude.

If that happens, the Sith will by far have the cooler classes compared to the Republic so far at least. Sith, Bounty Hunter, and Mandalorian... I have been saying I'm going Jedi but that's tough to resist.
What about the smuggler? Seriously, he smuggles stuff. And kicks people in the crotch before shooting them in the face.
 GonkH8er
07-04-2009, 1:48 PM
Crotch kicking IS pretty cool.

They'll really have to wow us with their 4th Republic class... :)
 Jeff
07-04-2009, 2:18 PM
I'm just going to quote myself from the Big Bad Class Discussion thread:I know that, and wasn't expecting them to be playable at all in the game. But the fact that the timeline video says they aligned themselves with the Sith makes having a class based on them more likely.
 Hallucination
07-04-2009, 3:12 PM
The timeline says lots of things, including that at one point 32,000 years before the game a bunch of philosophers and scientists formed the Jedi Order. I'm still not expecting to be able to play a 32,000-year-old philosopher.

At the end of the timeline they said that after the blockade was broken a good chunk of Mandalorians decided to stop working with the Sith and Mandalore, returning to work as mercenaries and bounty hunter-type guys, which I take as them just using that update to flesh out the setting and maybe a preexisting class. Plus there's also the fact that smugglers and bounty hunters seem to have filled the role of people working with a faction but not actually being a part of it.
 Jeff
07-04-2009, 3:38 PM
Maybe, but you gotta admit it'd be cool if it was a playable class. :p
 adamqd
07-04-2009, 3:47 PM
I dont know If I want some degenerate running around talking leet at me, and acting a nub kid jerk, and knowing that he is legitimately a Mandalorion... not cool. I could live with it in SWG because it was just some Roleplay kid playing a Bounty Hunter or Commando in a (Lets face it) Forgotten, bad game.

I think Mando's are a bit too cool to be left in the hands of MMO players tbh... Jedi should be too really but that's a foregone conclusion.
 Rathoris
07-04-2009, 3:49 PM
pretty cool movie but it doesn't contain alot of new info... kind of a minor downer... but still very cool overall :)
 Jeff
07-04-2009, 3:55 PM
I don't think "too cool" is a reason to not have a certain class. If they don't include it, it's because they are no longer allied with the Sith during the time the game takes place. But I've still got my hopes up. They've gotta announce a new class at some point this month, right?
 adamqd
07-04-2009, 4:10 PM
I mean "Too Cool" as in untouchable, like having them as a playable class would spoil them IMO.
 Gurges-Ahter
07-08-2009, 3:57 PM
I agree with a lot of points on this thread... it would be cool to play as a Mandalorian but I'd almost rather just leave it as "untouchable" Playing as a Mandalorian just might make them less cool and/or mysterious. I'd still love it though, so I'm cool either way.

However, I have my doubts that it will be a playable class. My inner fanboy hopes it will be opposite the trooper, but I think they would be too much like the bounty hunter class. That doesn't bother me so much because the story would be so different, but it might be hard to differentiate the two in skills.
 adamqd
07-08-2009, 4:16 PM
agreed. you see any negativity I have towards this game or its development is the MMO part (I Know kinda hard to miss lol) But I dont mean the mechanics of an MMO, the content, or even the subscription, it's the fact that I'll have absolutely no control over anything, Mandalorions? in a SPRPG I'd be drooling... But I know for a fact that there will be some dude, pretending to be a female Mando, in half armor and half Bikini, spamming Chat with leet speak and nonsense. Not how I want Mandalorions to be know TBH... But we'll have to wait and see, Hopefully the story rich leveling content should keep me clear of Game breakers for a lot of the gameplay? :( See I enjoy MMO's, but with adults and people I know, Hopefully I can Play along side a lot of LFers and cut down on the non Star Wars fan contact.
 Miltiades
07-08-2009, 5:09 PM
It's okay, adq, we're here for you. :p
 Astor
07-08-2009, 5:14 PM
But I know for a fact that there will be some dude, pretending to be a female Mando, in half armor and half Bikini, spamming Chat with leet speak and nonsense.

I have enough trouble understanding leet speak at the best of times - let alone 'Mando'a', as it's called by those fluent in it.

Fortunately there's some good language resources out there to make sense of it, but I don't relish the idea of having to Alt-Tab out of the game everytime I need to see what a fellow player is saying.
 Trench
07-08-2009, 5:21 PM
Most Mando'a speakers only use it when speaking to another Mando'a speaker, or when their insulting and talking down to a non-speaker of Mando'a.
Just watch out for people who will call you things like:
Chakaar=Thief.
Chakaaryc=Low life.
Mir'sheb=Smart@$$
And Nibral=Loser, Failure.
 Hallucination
07-08-2009, 6:44 PM
Go back to your own server=shut up, nerd

You'll be hearing it a lot. :P
 Trench
07-08-2009, 6:59 PM
/\Yeah, and if they do that, you could always shoot/slice them while they type their next insult:xp:
 adamqd
07-09-2009, 7:43 AM
I have enough trouble understanding leet speak at the best of times - let alone 'Mando'a', as it's called by those fluent in it.

Fortunately there's some good language resources out there to make sense of it, but I don't relish the idea of having to Alt-Tab out of the game everytime I need to see what a fellow player is saying.

Agreed, But Role play doesn't bother me, I in fact understand Mando'a, it's the Dang kids and jerks just ruining my experience, not people who want to get deep into the storyline.
 Nedak
07-09-2009, 2:46 PM
Mandalore ftw?
 Darth Avlectus
07-09-2009, 11:44 PM
^^^Ozzy: "LET'S GET F****N' CRAAAZZZAAAY!"

(Sorry Te Mirdala, had to impersonate Ozzy there--plz don't hate me? :D)

Crotch kicking IS pretty cool.
Just fast forward to 3:04. :devsmoke:
ojtyJ-rdnVw

They'll really have to wow us with their 4th Republic class... :)

Uhh, is that allowed on a school campus, sir? Uh-huhuh-huhuh. :xp:

Maybe, but you gotta admit it'd be cool if it was a playable class. :p

I smell a wildcard expansion scheme bubbling up to the surface to charge for extra $$$$$$$. Sorry if I'm too cynical.

I think Mando's are a bit too cool to be left in the hands of MMO players tbh... Jedi should be too really but that's a foregone conclusion. Yeah. Those filthy MMO players. :devsmoke:

I don't think "too cool" is a reason to not have a certain class. If they don't include it, it's because they are no longer allied with the Sith during the time the game takes place. But I've still got my hopes up. They've gotta announce a new class at some point this month, right? True, however, recall Mandalore's whole wary thing about the last time they allied with the Sith (Exar Kun) and that it ended pretty badly for them. They may not like the Republic, but I think they will second guess before making a deal with the devil(s) again.

/\Yeah, and if they do that, you could always shoot/slice them while they type their next insult:xp:

I actually got booted off a JK sever for that kind of opportunistic playing. They got all butt-hurt about it so had their admin kick me out of it. Darn monkey spankin' n00bz. :swear:
 Trench
07-09-2009, 11:51 PM
I actually got booted off a JK sever for that kind of opportunistic playing. They got all butt-hurt about it so had their admin kick me out of it. Darn monkey spankin' n00bz. :swear:

Okay, how about just kicking them in the gett'se (new Mando'a word for ya Astor:thmbup1:).
 Wraith 8
07-10-2009, 6:14 PM
I think the mando's rock. i been reading Karen Traviss novels about the republic commando's and you really get a bond with those mando wariors. i think it is going to be very difficult for me to pick a class and side.. they are damn cool tbh
Page: 1 of 1