Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TOR four pillers

Page: 1 of 1
 dmcNightmare
06-30-2009, 8:42 AM
We know that TOR got a new storyline piller .
and the other three pillers if you don't know them are:
exploration, progression and combat.

about exploration and progression we know that bioware and lucasarts are capable of bringing incredible ideas and environments just like they did for KoToR.

and for the storyline piller , i cant imagine any other company bringing RPG like bioware does, and the starwars material is great at this position , so this is something great and new for the MMO world.

about combat piller, we didnt see a gameplay yet, what would you expect from bioware to present in this field and would it be perfect? would it take enough attention like other pillers and become what people are really hopping to see?

as all MMo players experienced , we dont remember how we reached our level cap, and how much we suffered to get there, after a while all that concerns you is the end game , the combat style and liquidity , are the classes balanced or not? am i having fun during the fight or its just so dull and meaningless?

so after all storyline would be great to make the leveling interesting and to feel the RP without you needing to imagine yourself as a hero , but eventually we will be level capped .

so the point is if they are going to make the ultimate MMO out there i hope they dont pay less attention on any piller during the design and development specially the combat one just to focus on other pillers cuz it sounds so cool .

after all the most successful MMOs dont got the forth piller.

i played WoW for 3 years , it was great until they released the latest patch, the classes where imbalanced and the entire game became boring and so grinding oriented, PvP now sux , raids are lame . and that kind of thing kills MMOs, if blizzard released their diablo 3 they will kill their Own WoW.
i hope TOR will present something with same or even better experience WoW presented to the players in the old days.

storyline is a great plus to the game but never more importent that other pillers.
 Da_Man_2423
06-30-2009, 9:17 AM
What I wonder is how many people will take the time to give a crap about the epic story BioWare will produce, instead of just rushing through dialogue and clicking "accept quest".
 Sevn_Aten
06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't think it will be as simple as just skipping the dialogue to get to an accept quest box. There will be several dialogue choices to make like in KOTOR and Mass Effect that if you just skip through everything, you risk making a choice you'll end up regretting. This is how it's going to be different from typical MMOs where there is no choice, you just accept the quest, kill the 10 rats and return for your reward and some exp. Plus with all the voice acting, why would you skip it? It's not like the typical boring text dialogue.

As for combat, I agree with the OP, I hope it is interesting. We know there won't be auto-attack, which is great. So many MMOs have boring combat, which is why leveling is a boring grind fest and eventually raids become repetitive and boring. Personally, I think adding elements of twitch style play to MMOs will greatly improve the combat systems. Not so much that you feel like you're playing an FPS, but enough to make it interesting. Stats and dice rolls are great, and should still play a part, but I'd love to see about 33% of combat come down to actual player skill.
 dmcNightmare
06-30-2009, 10:28 AM
but I'd love to see about 33% of combat come down to actual player skill.

thats exactly my point , skills in combat is what we need, please make the combat worth it not just clicking on the action bar after hiding behind a tree or just standing there shooting ur lasers.
 Da_Man_2423
06-30-2009, 10:52 AM
I don't think it will be as simple as just skipping the dialogue to get to an accept quest box. There will be several dialogue choices to make like in KOTOR and Mass Effect that if you just skip through everything, you risk making a choice you'll end up regretting. This is how it's going to be different from typical MMOs where there is no choice, you just accept the quest, kill the 10 rats and return for your reward and some exp. Plus with all the voice acting, why would you skip it? It's not like the typical boring text dialogue.

Lol, I would love to see an example of a choice that a 13 year old would regret making in an MMO, where the mindset is to collect the best gear and be the highest level.
 Sevn_Aten
06-30-2009, 2:46 PM
Lol, I would love to see an example of a choice that a 13 year old would regret making in an MMO, where the mindset is to collect the best gear and be the highest level.
Well, ok, ya got me. I wasn't thinking about 13 yr old kids that have the attention span of a gnat. But then again, I don't care about their gaming experience as long as there is a depth and complexity as you get into the game.
 Da_Man_2423
06-30-2009, 6:55 PM
But then again, I don't care about their gaming experience as long as there is a depth and complexity as you get into the game.

I won't care about their experience as long as it doesn't drag down mine, but it probably will since that's inevitable when certain age groups are involved.

I expect "my story" to be filled with lots of soloing.
 DarthAwesome
06-30-2009, 7:46 PM
lol That's pretty ageist. Not all thirteen year olds are a bunch of blithering idiots.
Some kids are pretty smart, you know? ;)
Especially Star Wars fans, since they're more of the geeky variety.
 Da_Man_2423
06-30-2009, 7:59 PM
lol That's pretty ageist. Not all thirteen year old are a bunch of blithering idiots.
Some kids are pretty smart, you know? ;)
Especially Star Wars fans, since they're more of the geeky variety.

I'm sure there are plenty of kids that are capable of a maturity level greater than that of their fellow peers, but I have yet to be convinced otherwise when it comes to online gaming.
 DAWUSS
07-01-2009, 8:57 PM
What I wonder is how many people will take the time to give a crap about the epic story BioWare will produce, instead of just rushing through dialogue and clicking "accept quest".

QFE

Most of them will probably just rush through to get to the end so they can add another "finished game" to their rйsumй.
 Da_Man_2423
07-02-2009, 7:04 PM
Yep. The goal is to get the best gear and be the highest level. Can't be wasting time listening to dialogue, of all things.
Page: 1 of 1