Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Playable Alien Species (Beta)

Page: 1 of 1
 redrob41
06-29-2009, 7:29 PM
This is a quick & dirty / bare bones alien mod. I've added a few unique skins, but mostly they have in-game models and appearances. At any rate, you'll be able to play as a few different aliens.

Download at FileFront. (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Playable_Alien_Species_Beta;100593)

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/8296/pcalienspecies.th.jpg) (http://img200.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pcalienspecies.jpg)

I've split the files up into two groups. The first group of nine is more stable, and consists of:
Bith, Duro, Rodian, Trandoshan, Aqualish (Walrusman), Nikto (Swoopgang), Iridonian (Spaceman), Frogling (Yoda species), & female Sand Person.

The second group of eight is not as stable, but I threw 'em in there anyway:
Gamorrean, Ithorian, Jawa, Rakata, Selkath, Quarren, Chadra-Fan & Gran.

All the details as to why and how are in the read-me.

I highly recomend my Species Specific Feats mod (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=183411)and) my Soundset mods (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=183412)to) complete the alien experience :D.

I'll add more screenshots after I've unpacked my computer from the moving boxes.
 Trench
06-29-2009, 7:34 PM
Nice! I hope those server issues are fixed soon. I also didn't know that the Gran models were available in K1...
 Q
06-29-2009, 8:34 PM
OK, this is really cool. Hopefully you'll eventually get it all working normally because this is a great idea.
 Mandalore The Shadow
06-29-2009, 9:27 PM
are you going to do mandalorians? and i am looking forward to Quarrens i always did like them especialy Darth Maleval
 Latios6222
04-09-2011, 1:36 PM
Would it be possible to add a Codru-Ji
 redrob41
04-11-2011, 2:50 AM
Would it be possible to add a Codru-Ji

with four arms? Sorry, but that's next to impossible given the editing tools available. The animations would be too hard to do.

All of these Beta species are using only existing in-game models. All I've really done is re-skin them so that they'd be different from the NPCs.
 Latios6222
04-11-2011, 2:49 PM
Would it be possible to make a Togruta, Bothan, and Sullustan.
 redrob41
04-11-2011, 5:30 PM
Would it be possible to make a Togruta, Bothan, and Sullustan.

well, I'm not gonna say that those ones are impossible. There is an outside chance that someone could do it, since all three of those species could use the standard body models. The problem is that the amount of work that would have to go into making the heads is too huge, there's a lot of hex editing guesswork involved, and too many ways for it to get messed up along the way.

I'm not gonna take the time to try it. You could do a search for a tutorial by Miro42, for some insight into adding verticies to head models.

I hope I haven't completely dashed your hopes :(. Basically, the easiest aliens to make are near-humans. Most of the time, they just need a re-skin. Sometimes you can re-shape an existing head model, and use Taina's replacer tool method to get it in game. That method will work for simple changes like pointy ears, empty eye sockets, simple horns (they don't usually look that great), or slightly out of proportion faces.

The most ambitious heads I've tried are cat-like Cathar, Sith species, and they're disasters. I did have some success with a Duros head (Nindo Bahr a character in RoR), cat-like Juhani (see jonathan7's random tinkering thread), and a pair of female Devaronians (also for RoR as PCs; the third one was a failure). So you see, it's still hit-or-miss with alien heads.
 Latios6222
04-12-2011, 12:18 AM
well, I'm not gonna say that those ones are impossible. There is an outside chance that someone could do it, since all three of those species could use the standard body models. The problem is that the amount of work that would have to go into making the heads is too huge, there's a lot of hex editing guesswork involved, and too many ways for it to get messed up along the way.

I'm not gonna take the time to try it. You could do a search for a tutorial by Miro42, for some insight into adding verticies to head models.

I hope I haven't completely dashed your hopes :(. Basically, the easiest aliens to make are near-humans. Most of the time, they just need a re-skin. Sometimes you can re-shape an existing head model, and use Taina's replacer tool method to get it in game. That method will work for simple changes like pointy ears, empty eye sockets, simple horns (they don't usually look that great), or slightly out of proportion faces.

The most ambitious heads I've tried are cat-like Cathar, Sith species, and they're disasters. I did have some success with a Duros head (Nindo Bahr a character in RoR), cat-like Juhani (see jonathan7's random tinkering thread), and a pair of female Devaronians (also for RoR as PCs; the third one was a failure). So you see, it's still hit-or-miss with alien heads.

Where can i get those devaronian heads at?
 redrob41
04-12-2011, 2:22 AM
Where can i get those devaronian heads at?

You'll have to wait until Revenge of Revan is released. I might not have them all finished before the demo is ready, because I'm still struggling with making a third female head. There is already a Devaronian male head in TSL, but none in Kotor.
 Bob Ta'aar
04-13-2011, 5:30 AM

Please let me know, if you found out anything useful about the hexing part.
I managed to detach the head from the Weequay-model and have him in place on top of a human body, even with dangly hair, ... all working exept for the facial animations. I'm absolutely positive that I can do the same with every other alien full-body model that makes sense (Yoda-species, Chadra-fan, ect. don't really, but Quarren, Duros, Sullustan, ect. all go well. Reshaping the body-model a bit should be doable).
But after hours and hours of hex-trials without any success, I'm just too frustrated without any new hint of something that might work ;).
 redrob41
04-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Please let me know, if you found out anything useful about the hexing part.
nah, just what I learned from Miro42. It's all trial and error after that.

I managed to detach the head from the Weequay-model and have him in place on top of a human body, even with dangly hair, ... all working exept for the facial animations. [snip] But after hours and hours of hex-trials without any success, I'm just too frustrated without any new hint of something that might work ;).

I had similar problems when trying to merge Bastila's head model with another (for different hair). I noticed that on top of the hex editing issues, that the model also lost some of the bone weights, which caused a loss of facial animation. I tried fixing the weights, but I never did get it to work. The tutorials I followed are in the modelling section, threads started by Kha and Jolly Boots.
 Xinaith
12-31-2011, 5:23 PM
I clicked the installer, specified the game folder but it says it can't find dialog.tlk and closes when I can clearly see it there. Any idea what's going on mate?
 noname35
02-17-2012, 3:00 PM
Pretty good mod. I always like having alien party members, but having an alien PC is even better.
 dubdogelmo
08-18-2015, 2:38 PM
When I play as a selkath i just get a black screen with the mouse and the music playing

Do you have any advice on fixing this

Great mod apart from this by the way
Page: 1 of 1