Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Any idea if there will be a free (limited) version?

Page: 1 of 1
 ThatEvilDude
06-12-2009, 6:56 PM
I'm somewhat against paying $$$ a month. I'm wondering if they will have a free version. I'm an avid KOTOR fan and this looks great though.
Give me your thoughts.
 jrrtoken
06-12-2009, 6:57 PM
Doubtful.
 SW01
06-12-2009, 7:04 PM
Doubtful.

That about sums it up.

Probably the very most that can be hoped for is some kind of free trial period.
 Saenjaina
06-12-2009, 7:52 PM
Very, very, very, very unlikely. Very.
 Miltiades
06-12-2009, 8:37 PM
Probably the very most that can be hoped for is some kind of free trial period. Yeah, I think that's the best one could hope for.

Or you could try to get your hands on the beta when it comes out.
 Jeff
06-12-2009, 9:15 PM
Yeah, not sure if a free trial will be available right away, but it seems like there will definitely be one some time down the road.
 Char Ell
06-13-2009, 11:22 AM
I think the way things are shaping up I would be very surprised if there is any free-to-play option when TOR goes to public release. Usually publishers only provide free trial periods to try and attract new subscribers to their game. So if TOR has a lot of interest, as expected, then there really wouldn't be much motivation for BioWare/EA/LucasArts to offer free trial subscriptions and such.
 RoxStar
06-13-2009, 11:55 AM
As others have said, I am sure there will be some sort of promotion for a free trial. The full game itself, however, will never be free.
 thrawn2034
06-13-2009, 5:37 PM
Doubt it.
 Tommycat
06-13-2009, 9:43 PM
Will TOR have a free version?
*shakes Magic 8 Ball™*
"No way!"

I'm going with that one.
 MyNameDidntFit
06-14-2009, 9:40 AM
I would like to hope they will do something similar to what Valve have done with Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead in that they occasionally have 'free weekends'. However, without a platform such as Steam I doubt that could be done effectively :/
 Saenjaina
06-14-2009, 10:21 AM
That would just be silly and lame. Would seem like some desperate move in the context of MMO games.

I really don't see why they would run this game differently than other MMORPGs. It works well, and it has been proven again and again that it is reasonable to demand a monthly fee for a game constantly being developed on. Of course some gamers might have a problem with that, but that is often rooted in some conservative view on the whole game-concept, and it doesn't really influence the development of the game since the willing customers are out there, paying up.

I really think people should start realizing that this will undoubtedly become an MMORPG like any of the other big titles, where a monthly fee is part of the overall concept. I'm personally not ever going to deceive myself and start some forsaken hope of the game being free. In fact, I'd probably prefer paying a monthly fee. Then I'd at least have some assurance that the game isn't going down the drain the week after due to financial problems.
 Hunted
06-15-2009, 10:42 AM
No.

Maybe a 10-day free trial, but I wouldn't expect to see that right away.

They may do what AoC did and give coupons to people who pre-ordered/bought collector's editions so they could give their friends a trial period.
 TheRogueForums
06-15-2009, 2:59 PM
Perhaps there might be something offered in a pre-order package...
Page: 1 of 1