Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Edge Magazine Bioware Interview

Page: 1 of 1
 News
05-30-2009, 2:40 PM
My Edge magazine arrived through the door today, and in it is a very interesting interview with James Ohlem, The Old Republic’s game director, about how the game is shaping up. I’ve scanned the pages for your perusal. Enjoy!

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/edge-magazine-bioware-interview/)
 Will O' The Wisq
05-30-2009, 3:03 PM
I noticed a major question revealed in this article.
The Smuggler class is in the game!!
 jrrtoken
05-30-2009, 3:06 PM
I really don't like them bragging about the level of "epic" Force power, lightsaber duels, and blaster weapons; it's as if they're trying to market on combat alone, while they didn't mention a thing about storyline, classes, and the other "fun" activities in MMOs.

Still, combat is important. I hope that combat is anything but a mindless clickfest, which I think it won't be in TOR. Still, I really hope that when they integrate combat and quests it won't have grinding involved the the majority of the gameplay.
 Miltiades
05-30-2009, 4:13 PM
So, smuggler class is announced. Well, it was only a matter of time. And while we knew Tython and Korriban were going to be the starting place for Jedi and Sith, Ord Mantell as starting place for the smugglers was new, too. I guess that leaves Nal Hutta as starting place for Bounty Hunters.

Combat is important, yeah. And if you're working with a license like Star Wars, with lightsabers, blasters, vibroblades and rocket launchers, it can't be easy to find both a good combat system and a balance between those weapons. So I'm hoping they've spent enough time making it right. I also think they already talked a lot about storyline and classes, albeit a bit superficial. For the moment, I'd like more info on the combat, so this is a start. And we'll going to see what it's all about at E3.
 Nedak
05-30-2009, 7:54 PM
Why the hell does the Smuggler look a lot like Han Solo? Lameee
 Jeff
05-30-2009, 8:30 PM
Why the hell does the Smuggler look a lot like Han Solo? LameeeThat's kind of what I thought...I know they are basing a lot of their designs on stuff from the movies from what they said in the latest dev diary, but that is pretty blatant. At least give him slightly different clothes, I'd much rather see the scoundrel outfit from KotOR or something like what Atton wore in TSL.
 Quanon
05-31-2009, 2:28 PM

Its one out of many outfits >_>
 Nedak
05-31-2009, 2:45 PM
Its one out of many outfits >_>

Yes, but they chose to advertise with THAT one.

I hope armor and clothes are much more customizable than what is being shown.
 adamqd
05-31-2009, 2:46 PM

I agree, but I'll keep my post short, because i get aggro for thinking blatant Movie copying is crap.
 Rathoris
05-31-2009, 4:11 PM
so far we haven't really seen any original outfits.... but i think Bioware deserves a little credit. I'm sure they're just showing it off like this to make it recognizable as Star Wars.... i hope so anyway
 Saenjaina
06-03-2009, 6:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Han Solo resemblance is for the sake of recognizability. Just to get things started and maybe draw in some new people.
Page: 1 of 1