Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Diverse Worlds of The Old Republic

Page: 1 of 1
 News
05-01-2009, 6:30 PM
The official site has today posted an article and video about some of the worlds we will be visiting in TOR. Majestic forests, toxic swamplands, desert landscapes, and hazardous war zones - the worlds that make up the Star Wars universe are unique and enriched with compelling storylines. Watch Developer Dispatch: Diverse Worlds and go [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/the-diverse-worlds-of-the-old-republic/)
 Nedak
05-01-2009, 8:11 PM
Well, the characters look a TAD bit better.
 SW01
05-01-2009, 8:35 PM
It's good to see some in-game footage at last. I like Korriban in particular. After that, probably Tython looks nicest at this stage, but I'm most interested to have a look about Nal Hutta.

Comic drives me a bit away, footage pulls me back in...

Well, the characters look a TAD bit better.

At this point, I think the bounty hunter model looks best - probably due to armour - though I am loate to admit it... I am still eager to see heavily robed characters, though - especially Sith. :)
 TKA-001
05-01-2009, 10:09 PM
I sure hope that Ord Mantell actually does have people who will steal your starship if they can, like the dude said. That would probably be the best feature of any game in the history of MMOs.
 DAWUSS
05-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I thought it was "Nal Hutta" not just "Hutta."

Is it just me or was this another fluff piece overall?

Would the whole "starship stealing" thing be a plot device, or would it be a random NPC occurence, or could other players steal your ship, or was this something that has been blown up more than what it was meant to be by the fans?
 M@RS
05-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I wish the jedi used traditional jedi robes...
 PastramiX
05-02-2009, 12:07 AM
How nice of BioWare to captivate the attention and imagination of the teeming millions of fans with a biweekly scrap of an update. Does absolute wonders for newly formed community forums which are borderline stillborn. :indif:
 Tommycat
05-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Wouldn't call this forum borderline stillborn.

But I do like the updates. We get more info all the time... Scraps, titbits, things to latch onto... Just enough to catch our attention, but not so much that we get bored with it.
 True_Avery
05-02-2009, 2:23 AM
Is it just me, or do the maps and worlds they keep showing off look awfully clumped up, and almost linear in their design? I'm not seeing much, if any rolling WoW-like landscapes that actually make you feel like you're in a large world. It all looks so claustrophobic and I'm not really diggin it.
 Jeff
05-02-2009, 2:40 AM
Is it just me, or do the maps and worlds they keep showing off look awfully clumped up, and almost linear in their design? I'm not seeing much, if any rolling WoW-like landscapes that actually make you feel like you're in a large world. It all looks so claustrophobic and I'm not really diggin it.The only one which I thought this was was Korriban. It looked like, well, like Korriban from KotOR. Maybe it was because we only saw such a small part of it. But I was happy with how the other worlds looked for the most part.
 Tommycat
05-02-2009, 8:44 AM
Well considering that they showed 3 different landscapes on Ord Mantel, and what looked to be a large open area, I think it may be a bit premature to say they will all be clumped together. Then Hutta was pretty open, but just smoggy. Korribam seemed clumped together, but then we only saw the dig site. It may also be an attempt at giving an oppressive feel to the world. We saw Tython, and the mountain ranges being built. All the ancient arches and littered ruins. and we didn't see anything that was largely open. But there were lots of trees. You losing the forrest for the trees :D

I honestly think the landscaping looks better than WoW. A little more polished. With a lot of detail.
 Miltiades
05-02-2009, 8:56 AM
I particularly liked Tython, with its statues and all. Korriban is a bit clumped up, yeah, though it doesn't bother me that much. Hutta and Ord Mantell still need to convince me, especially Mantell. But it's nice to see some more info and footage of those planets. I still wished they'd actually talk about gameplay elements...
 leXX
05-02-2009, 9:06 AM
WoW captured the open world feeling perfectly. One of the things that stopped me getting into Conan, was that it all felt extremely claustrophobic. From what I tell so far, it's kind of a mix of both. Only time will tell.

What I would like to know, is how we will be travelling between these worlds. What kind of transport choices we will get, and whether travelling affects time.
 PastramiX
05-02-2009, 10:42 AM
But I do like the updates. We get more info all the time... Scraps, titbits, things to latch onto... Just enough to catch our attention, but not so much that we get bored with it.I just feel that they seldom give out information on a regular basis. If BioWare released a whole compilation of information on a weekly basis, that would provide much activity within a forum, instead of simply a few screenshots every fortnight. Oh, and emphasis mine. o_Q

As far as level design goes, I'm all for wide spaces, as long as there are alternate forms of transportation, instead of simply walking on foot. I don't want to have to hold the W key for three minutes to get character to go from one side of the map to another. :headbump
 Zerimar Nyliram
05-02-2009, 2:43 PM
Pretty interesting stuff!

The ironic thing about Tython is that it was originally supposed to have been the complete opposite of what it has become in this game, as it was first portrayed in Darth Bane: Rule of Two: a world completely enveloped in dense fog completely devoid of life.
 Web Rider
05-02-2009, 6:37 PM
I honestly think the landscaping looks better than WoW. A little more polished. With a lot of detail.

In gaming terms, this isn't a lot of detail. This is called a high graphics requirement and large bandwidth usage.

While the world looks beautiful, I won't argue that point, the whole deal with MMOs is that you want everyone to be able to play. If your game is so pretty, so fancy, that only a top-notch box can run it, you're going to turn younger fans and fans with limited money off.
 Jeff
05-02-2009, 6:50 PM
I don't think you have to worry about not being able to run TOR unless your computer is really old (like can't even run WoW), the whole reason they are doing stylized graphics is to reach a wider audience.
 Zerimar Nyliram
05-03-2009, 1:00 PM
While the world looks beautiful, I won't argue that point, the whole deal with MMOs is that you want everyone to be able to play. If your game is so pretty, so fancy, that only a top-notch box can run it, you're going to turn younger fans and fans with limited money off.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Filters out some of those annoying teenyboppers. ;)
 Hallucination
05-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Filters out some of those annoying teenyboppers. ;)
In my experience the 'annoying teenyboppers' generally are the ones who have parents who buy them everything they could ever want that leads them to suffer from entitlement issues and e-peens that can never be stroked enough.
Forum game: replace the bold part with '45'.
 Kado Sunrider
05-04-2009, 12:01 AM
my biggest hope is space combat. If theirs no flyable spaceships, I doubt I would do anything on this game except chill on Tython. However, if space is available, I would DEFINITELY do that.
Page: 1 of 1