Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Threat of Peace #4

Page: 1 of 1
 News
04-10-2009, 4:50 PM
Another Friday and another set of updates from the official SWTOR website, the first of those being a new issue of Threat of Peace. In the issue, the Sith’s true intentions of invading Coruscant are revealed, and as the Jedi begin to realize there is no hope to repel the invaders, the negotiations begin [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/threat-of-peace-4/)
 Miltiades
04-10-2009, 5:32 PM
Wait, what? The Jedi girl needs to apologize because she attacked a Sith?! Bad Jedi, bad! Treat that Sith like a guest!

And so, Satele is a descendant of Bastila. Revan came back, perhaps? Or maybe she fell for Carth - god knows what they were doing in Carth's chamber on Telos in KotOR 2. In any case, we'll have to deal with another spoiled Jedi brat. Ugh...
 adamqd
04-10-2009, 5:35 PM
I'm guessing the girl is a descendant of a Male Shan or Bastila had a son as a single mother
(as Far as I know humans take the male second name in a marriage in the continuity)
 TKA-001
04-10-2009, 5:51 PM
List of idiotic KotOR-related assumptions, No. 725: Believing that Revan must have married and/or had children with Bastila, rules of the Jedi Order, commitments to the Jedi Order, and possibilities of their bond and/or relationship being one-way or temporary be damned.

For some reason, these are the most boring action scenes in a comic I've ever seen. Everyone in them just looks so bored.

Dialogue, as expected, consists of one-liners, one-liners, and more one-liners.

I feel like punching something every time I see those rip-off clone troopers. Mixing the rip-off clone trooper with one-liner dialogue was like spiking a shot of vodka with industrial-strength laxatives or something.

The Kel'dor Jedi being a strawman Jedi by saying that the Jedi Shan should "Abide by the Code", whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

Why do they talk about Shan having "the gift like Bastila did"? They talk as if Bastila was her mother, not an ancestor that's been dead 250 years.

Or maybe she fell for Carth - god knows what they were doing in Carth's chamber on Telos in KotOR 2.
Even if Carth was straight, I would still refuse to believe that what you're implying is possible. That would simply be a bad writing decision to make on multiple levels.
 adamqd
04-10-2009, 6:03 PM
List of idiotic KotOR-related assumptions, No. 725: Believing that Revan must have married and/or had children with Bastila, rules of the Jedi Order, commitments to the Jedi Order, and possibilities of their bond and/or relationship being one-way or temporary be damned.

For some reason, these are the most boring action scenes in a comic I've ever seen. Everyone in them just looks so bored.

Dialogue, as expected, consists of one-liners, one-liners, and more one-liners.

I feel like punching something every time I see those rip-off clone troopers. Mixing the rip-off clone trooper with one-liner dialogue was like spiking a shot of vodka with industrial-strength laxatives or something.

The Kel'dor Jedi being a strawman Jedi by saying that the Jedi Shan should "Abide by the Code", whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

Why do they talk about Shan having "the gift like Bastila did"? They talk as if Bastila was her mother, not an ancestor that's been dead 250 years.

QFT
 Zerimar Nyliram
04-11-2009, 1:19 AM
So, Satele is a Shan, eh? Could be interesting.

Also, it isn't said for certain that Revan and Bastila got together, you know. Maybe what ever future they had together turn out to be a tragedy when either news of Revan's death reached the Jedi, or Bastila moved on when he never returned from the Unknown Regions and settled with someone else.

It is also important to bear in mind that romantic relationships among the Jedi were extremely frowned upon at this point in history, but they weren't forbidden altogether by the entirety of the Order itself. It probably depended upon each individual Master's perspective on the issue; and since Bastila was but a Padawan during the events of the first game, her master was probably of the no-marriage train of thought, thus why she kept going on and on about how it was "not allowed." But once Bastila became a Knight, she would have been free to have her own view on the subject, and may have married at that point.

So in a round-about way of saying it: keep an open mind. Revan may not have fathered her posterity after all. Of course, if they never reveal just what happened as far as that goes one way or the other, we're free to think what ever we want.

Plus, hasn't it been confirmed that Revan and the Exile never returned to Republic space? I would think that this fact would rule out Revan as a likely candidate to furthering the Shan gene pool. It is also possible that Shan is a common name in the Star Wars universe, and that Satele is in no way related to Bastila (though people tend to compare them against one another since they share the same last name and are both prominent female Jedi), like Deena Shan fro the Empire and Republic comics.
 Miltiades
04-11-2009, 5:42 AM
Plus, hasn't it been confirmed that Revan and the Exile never returned to Republic space? Bastila could have followed him to the Outer Rim anyway, after 5 years of waiting. She couldn't have seen her chance when the Exile went to search for Revan...
 jrrtoken
04-11-2009, 8:23 AM
The writer, Rob Chestney; if he's writing the dialogue in TOR, I'm going to have to silence him.

This proves that BioWare will make TOR one massive cliche, with bland writing and dreadful dialogue. I was hoping that it might be at least bearable, seeing as BioWare's writing is usually mediocre, at best, but now I'm forced to think otherwise.

Oh well, maybe if I just put my hands over my ears, and shriek "LA LA LA IT'S NOT CANON" over and over again, then maybe I'll wake up, and Obsidian will develop KotOR III.
 TKA-001
04-11-2009, 8:38 AM
It's very clear to me that the only thing which has any chance of saving this miserable sub-franchise is incredibly good gameplay, since storyline quality has been rather plainly shot to hell.
 adamqd
04-11-2009, 8:43 AM
It's like the new Concepts, It's basically Ord Mantel(Mustafar mining facility), Clone Armor, Clone Wars era looking ships, The Jedi temple as it looks in PT, The Senate as it looks in PT, Separatists, the Empire, The Sacking of Coruscant... it's just one big Cliche TBH. what has happened to KotOR?
 Miltiades
04-11-2009, 9:21 AM
It's like the new Concepts, It's basically Ord Mantel(Mustafar mining facility), Clone Armor, Clone Wars era looking ships, The Jedi temple as it looks in PT, The Senate as it looks in PT, Separatists, the Empire, The Sacking of Coruscant... it's just one big Cliche TBH. what has happened to KotOR? Exactly. They're ruining the KotOR Era (and the game) by trying to bring in the SWGalaxy veterans, Prequel Trilogy fans and other people who haven't played a KotOR game and don't know what it is. Sad, BioWare, sad.
 TKA-001
04-11-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm not even looking at this thing in context of the KotOR series, because the two aren't actually related - This thing just fails on its own terms, never mind its relation to a game that's set 300 years in the past.
 Zerimar Nyliram
04-11-2009, 2:02 PM
Exactly. They're ruining the KotOR Era (and the game) by trying to bring in the SWGalaxy veterans, Prequel Trilogy fans and other people who haven't played a KotOR game and don't know what it is. Sad, BioWare, sad.

Not to mention that they keep stupidly retconning the information surrounding the formation of the Jedi Order! (I know it's a nerdy thing to care about, but I've been trying to write a story about it that fits into canon for years, but the information provided by these people is forcing me to start over from scratch. Moving it from 25,000 BBY to 25,780 or what ever BBY has completely destroyed my plot and characters.)

This is one ticked off writer, folks.
 SW01
04-11-2009, 2:05 PM
Exactly. They're ruining the KotOR Era (and the game) by trying to bring in the SWGalaxy veterans, Prequel Trilogy fans and other people who haven't played a KotOR game and don't know what it is.

Yep, that appears to be precisely what they are doing. Everything they have released so far just looks like a slight (a very slight) variation on the prequels - which is an utter disappointment at this stage. Even looking at some of the Jedi Masters shown in the comic, it's very easy to see Clone Wars jedi - especially Plo Koon and Shaak Ti. All that's missing so far is a diminutive, green-shaded high-ranking Jedi with odd syntax...

Sad, BioWare, sad.

QFT
 Jeff
04-11-2009, 2:53 PM
Well, they are working alongside LucasArts and getting everything story-related approved before going ahead with it. If that is any consolation, not that there is much love for LucasArts anymore.
 adamqd
04-11-2009, 3:10 PM
That's the Thing though, everything is going through Lucas... Have you seen Star Wars.com recently? It's like Tellytubbies.com... How to make an Ahsoka doll from household materials... Not good. Star Wars is basically trying to pull all it's fingers into the same Pie, so now everything is cliche, "stylized" casual fan fodder, with a Link to the animated Clone wars Series in the bottom Corner.:(

Dark Horses own Star Wars Comics and the Novels are the only Thing's with any Integrity IMO
 jrrtoken
04-11-2009, 3:33 PM
Well, they are working alongside LucasArts and getting everything story-related approved before going ahead with it. If that is any consolation, not that there is much love for LucasArts anymore.That doesn't really matter; LA probably let BioWare do whatever they wanted, regardless if the story will be of any real quality, especially when compared to KotOR II's story. LucasArts desperately wants a repeat of both KotOR 1 and WoW in the same package, so that means a dumbed-down plot beyond any single-player RPG.

This isn't just the rape of a franchise, but of an entire canon created over years of expanded universe material. It's almost as if George Lucas decided to not conclude the original trilogy with Return of the Jedi, but by making a TV series set 300 years after The Empire Strikes Back; TOR's premise is completely illogical, and is clearly an attempt to cash-in to MMO fans and the newer crowd of Star Wars fans, with no regard to the real, die-hard fanbase of yesterday.
 Quanon
04-12-2009, 5:55 AM
Well I feel like most people around here, looks like clones wars to me =/

At first I thought they would strike a sort of balance between PT looks and the Kotor game looks for certain objects, clothes etc...

Anyway, I thought to find a nice comic, but its lacking compared to what Dark Horse does for its other SW lines.

Mainly the colouring is really lame and I find it it destroys the pencil&inkt art.
But I can't use the comic to judge the game... All I need is a good gameplay vidoe, showing how well the dialogues are really done.

Bioware keeps telling about their 4th pillar: story telling. So far I haven't seen nothing to do with that. They've set the standards high themselfs in other games. So I hope they don't turn their backs on that.
 Sisiana
04-18-2009, 2:19 AM
Or maybe she fell for Carth - god knows what they were doing in Carth's chamber on Telos in KotOR 2.

Maybe they were having a very long in-depth conversation about their feelings. Or perhaps a friendly chat about the state of the Republic or politics. Why is everyone's mind so dirty? ;)

I'm actually a Carth/Bastila shipper, so...yeah.........I'm leaving now before I get hurt.....
 DAWUSS
04-21-2009, 6:24 PM
I don't mind the Bastila-Satele connection for what it is, but I think that was rather flimsy attempt for connecting KOTOR to TOR by implying that Revan and Bastila had an illegitimate child (BTW, the retcon for the last name issue would probably have something to do with Revan being too big a target and their child carried the last name of "Shan" to help hide identity [it's probably slightly less cheesy than Vader-Luke-Leia]).

I think seeing Zaalbar would been more acceptable IMO.

I do agree with the underlying point of this thread of everything repeating and recycling itself just to appeal to the casual audience. Sometimes I think discovering Wookieepedia was a mistake...
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
06-16-2009, 6:12 AM
I'm guessing the girl is a descendant of a Male Shan or Bastila had a son as a single mother
Remember: there's 300 years between Bastila and Satele. It doesn't matter which gender(s) of child(ren) she had.

(as Far as I know humans take the male second name in a marriage in the continuity)
Satele could be a descendant of Bastila, and Bastila couldve married Revan: as far as we know, Revan doesn't have a last name. They could have used Bastila's last name. That would be kinda cool. (and somewhat likely with GL having Anakin marry a 5 year older Padme...)

Don't know about it if they just had the kid(s).

The fact that Master Dar'nala mentioned Bastila could indicate one of these three things:

1: Bastila is indeed Satele's ancestor,
2: There were no more Battle Meditators since Bastila,
3: There were jedi with Battle Meditation after Bastila, but not as powerful as Bastila. Dar'nala would then be effectively saying "I'm sure she's the most powerful battle meditator since Bastila". But it is strange that she referred to Bastila with the first name. Usually when you refer to someone who lived 300 years ago, you'd refer to them with their whole name... An explanation would be indication #1. See above.

^ Just Speculation.
Page: 1 of 1