Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

SWTOR Timeline #1 Released

Page: 1 of 1
 News
03-27-2009, 9:30 PM
Star Wars: The Old Republic is set in a much unexplored period of the Star Wars universe and so to fill in some of those gaps, a new feature at the official site has been released which chronicles the events of the times surrounding the game in video presentation form. Check out the first [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/swtor-timeline-1-released/)
 jrrtoken
03-27-2009, 9:48 PM
This what I've been waiting for, although everything that happened from TSL to TOR is still completely unknown, which is still quite annoying.

I suppose they will have to reveal that, eventually, as it currently seems that the Mandalorian Wars and the Jedi Civil War, and everything after that never really happened. :snear:
 SW01
03-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Yep, seems to ignore TSL in its entirety...

-Peace and Prosperity for Republic (so much for standing on the brink of collapse then...)

And this bit seems very close to the backstory of Ep.I:
-After a millenium in hiding, Sith surprise attack Jedi. Ok, it's a different sort of attack, but still...

Later entries look very interesting, though. Can't wait to hear them expanded upon! A few curious hints dropped too - about Jedi 'irate at the Republic' and 'the Republic's less savoury allies'.
 Nedak
03-27-2009, 11:05 PM
All I say to that is

mandos??
 Mav
03-28-2009, 2:32 AM
All I say to that is

mandos??It's short for commandos, they are bringing back commandos and the Clone Wars, because every SW game now has to involve the Clone Wars in some capacity. We will most likely be seeing Betty Fett as well, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandmother to Jango, and therefore great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grandmother to Boba. Also there will be "clankers". Oh btw in case it went over anyone's head... [/sarcasm] (I got pretty good at typing 'great' with one hand *flex*)
 Miltiades
03-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Yep, seems to ignore TSL in its entirety... *sigh* Yeah. Most interesting part in the whole era, and a decisive period in the history of the Jedi and Republic...
 SW01
03-28-2009, 11:20 AM
All I say to that is

mandos??

Notice whose side they are on as well? Makes Canderous look a bit of a twit. :(

*sigh* Yeah. Most interesting part in the whole era, and a decisive period in the history of the Jedi and Republic...

I agree with that. It's probably going to look a little strange to see the Old Republic minus everything done in TSL.
 adamqd
03-28-2009, 1:00 PM
LOVED it, very cool, wasn't expecting it :) I couldn't care less about TSL inclusion in it, as I disregard it myself anyway... but that's a discussion seen too many times on these boards hehe anyway back to tOR website...
 Tommycat
03-28-2009, 6:45 PM
Personally, I wished they had included it. 200 years of peace my..... What about that whole canon thing? Why did they bother setting the exile's gender? I hope they do intend on telling about it as part of the Jedi civil war.

And excellent job on the Lance Henriksen voice over. Good choice.

Wonder if those blips on the map were pinpointing the different planets we'd get to explore... if so, 8 sith 8 republic... 16 PLANETS!! woohoo!

Also interesting to note that smugglers get a mention. might reaffirm the idea that Sith would get BH and Republic get Smugglers.
 True_Avery
03-28-2009, 8:25 PM
But...

What -happened- in TSL?

By the time Revan left, the republic was already in a bad way and the Jedi were only a shadow of what they formerly were.

In TSL, more Jedi get killed which just further cements what Malak did. You see how economically hurt the Republic was, but that was already implied in Kotor and the fact the Republic had fought almost 3 wars in a row at that time. You saved the mandalorians, but it was already implied by Kotor that would happen anyway.

Most of the Galaxy had no need to know -anything- about Exile. Your mission was, for the most part, secret. You interacted with people, but you didn't really have a name, you weren't particularly famous yourself (unlike Revan), and what you did to effect the Galaxy had already been put in place by Revan and, through the passage of History, could easily have been mistaken for someone else or all credit given to Revan. You went from place to place under cover, passed from place to place quietly as to not get Nihilus on your shoulder, and you disappeared from the Galaxy about as quietly. The heaviest thing you did was stop 3 Sith lord that nobody knew about, and destroy a planet nobody really cared about anymore (Malachor).

TSL had an interesting story, new view on morality for Star Wars, and gave some back story but you ended up not accomplishing much of anything at all. The history books, sadly, could forget all of TSL and it would not have affected the timeline much.

Which is why, in the end, I didn't particularly like TSL that much and understand why it may not ever be mentioned in the game. Frankly, I hope it never is directly mentioned even if we see some evidence like Telos.
 jrrtoken
03-28-2009, 8:41 PM
I disagree: TSL is reason why the Republic and the Jedi are still around by Episode I. If the Exile did not train his companions, there would be no Jedi Order, and had Onderon seceded, Dantooine collapsed, and Telos run out of fuel, the Republic would not exist. Truthfully, the events of TSL left a massive impact on the galaxy, even more than K1, IMO.
 True_Avery
03-28-2009, 9:16 PM
I disagree: TSL is reason why the Republic and the Jedi are still around by Episode I. If the Exile did not train his companions, there would be no Jedi Order, and had Onderon seceded, Dantooine collapsed, and Telos run out of fuel, the Republic would not exist. Truthfully, the events of TSL left a massive impact on the galaxy, even more than K1, IMO.
The only reason the Jedi were dying out that extensively was because TSL introduced the absurd Nihilus character and storyline. A character whom only the Exile and a few select other even knew existed. As far as the Galaxy knew, it was just remnant Sith attacks that happened in the game.

The Jedi order would have been fine with or without TSL. At the end of Kotor there was still a Jedi order, although wounded. The older masters, by TOR, would have been dead anyway.

And while you did train your companions, I don't think the Jedi order would have just stopped entirely if they hadn't of become to seemingly new masters. The Temple, teachings, etc were all still there and just needed some people to uncover them. And I also reject TSL's idea that those were truly the last of the masters left in the galaxy. Maybe the last of the counsel, but still.

Also, Telos ran out of fuel because peragus exploded. Exile was not given credit for the explosion, because the explosion was thought to just be an accident. Then you convinced the crime lords to give Telos new fuel, meaning that Exile would probably get no credit for that either.

And considering how big Dantooine was and the 300 year time skip I think with or without Exile the planet would have stabilized with the Republic and Jedi Order.

I don't see the relevance of the Exile or the TSL storyline. If anything, it was an unneeded side story that merely expanded upon what was already happening but left little conclusions. Other than a few small mentions to the safety of Telos and maybe a mention of a Jedi Order collapse (which could be related to either Malak or nihilus anyway), there isn't much to mention. You know it happened, but as far as the rest of the Galaxy was concerned it was either coincidence or things just happened.
 Tommycat
03-29-2009, 2:39 AM
Wow TA, never really though about it like that... VERY good point.

Seems that you are right, or that makes more sense. The Hutts would take credit for the TRP fuel themselves. I just don't see them sharing the credit. It wouldn't be the only time that there ended up with "You are the last" and not really being the last. I mean At least 2 Jedi survived the purge(though the EU says hundreds did) even though Vader was supposed to be the last(and so was Luke).

Largely the events of TSL could go unnoticed in history books. It is kinda like The battle for Okinawa. It still gets encompassed in to WWII even though it was the final battle. It doesn't even get a blip on our timeline(unless we dig into the WWII timeline itself)... and it isn't even 300 years later.
 Zerimar Nyliram
04-01-2009, 11:25 PM
I really wish they'd quit messing with the early history of the Jedi Order. Now they've retconned the formation of the Order to have taken place some seven hundred years earlier than previously thought, placing it in pre-Republic times.

Looks like I'll have to start writing that story I'm working on from scratch (the one I hope to some day make into an official Star Wars novel), and probably have to put it on hold completely until the game comes out. Then again, if they change the information about that era so drastically that my current vision for it becomes completely incompatible, I may just lose interest in it altogether. :(
 Zerimar Nyliram
05-15-2009, 1:59 PM
So they've finally updated the timeline. It's about time.

So if we go by the length of time since the previous entry, it would appear that this thing will be updated every two months.

[Edit] It sucks that these threads cannot be bumped since they're all stickied. Perhaps a New thread should be created for every timeline entry? Personally, I'm more interested in the timeline than I am the web comic.
Page: 1 of 1