Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

melee attacks

Page: 1 of 1
 shukkoku
01-30-2009, 12:57 AM
I was just thinking that in SWBF 2 a lot of the time i wanted some sort of melee combat. I habitually move into the inner most heat of the action and am often bumping against destroyer droids and then getting ripped apart by the barrage they produce. And I am usually reminded of this the more i play so am I the only one who is frustrated by this or is this common among gamers.
Thus being said, I think there should be some melee combat in SWBF 3, share your opinion
 Rinku
01-30-2009, 6:55 PM
I agree, sometimes I end up right in font of a SBD and I can't shoot it fast enough/get away. So it would be nice to hit it down killing it or just hit it down and shoot it.
 GeneralPloKoon
01-30-2009, 7:24 PM
Nah, melee has gotten so common in today's video games. Maybe a melee weapon to switch too.
 M@RS
01-30-2009, 7:44 PM
Nah, melee has gotten so common in today's video games. Maybe a melee weapon to switch too.

No... Melee Attack... It's used a lot because it's a good idea...
 jawathehutt
01-30-2009, 9:17 PM
No... Melee Attack... It's used a lot because it's a good idea...

I agree, theres some ideas that are over used and usually poorly, but if you fail at making a basic melee attack you probably shouldn't be making games
 shukkoku
01-31-2009, 4:11 PM
yeah, perhaps it would be so strong that the enemy flies up against the wall XD
 Dread Advocate
07-11-2009, 5:59 PM
it does need melee. ive played Halo, RC and Gears so much that ill ruch a random enemy some times and be hitting what would melee on a 360 controller.
 shukkoku
08-01-2009, 3:32 PM
Maybe they could have like a fatal melee combo you could activate. I think we've all seen clones do "badass" stuff like jump on a droid and fill em blaster, or flip a battle droid and unload a clip in the chest.
I think the versatile abilities of clones were ignored in BF2. They were more like droids with armor, they just lacked personality.
 jondavis
08-01-2009, 5:25 PM
Maybe they saved that for the Jedi with their lightsabers.
Who is it that uses the Vibrosword? Maybe a class with that.
I think we did see a Jedi fighting someone with a Vibrosword in the battlefront 3 trailer on youtube.
Your not going to just punch a destroyer droid out. Well, maybe if your a Wookie.
 shukkoku
08-01-2009, 6:03 PM
yes but they need something to separate the battlefront games from other generic shooters. I think a cinematic beat down would bring out how advanced the clones are in CQC. Even the droids could have simple attacks that represent their brutal design.
and the rebels could have guerrilla executions, and the storm troopers could use very military-esc quick attacks.
just to make it personal
 jondavis
08-01-2009, 8:37 PM
How many times do we see a fist fight in SW?
I don't mind a Faction/Class that uses melee weapons but it has to be with a person you would expect to use one.
Here is a list of weapons that could work:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Melee_weapon)
Make a Gamorrean Guard Faction and you could hack and slash your way through the level.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Gamorrean_trio_btm.jpg)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gamorrean_Guard)
 shukkoku
08-01-2009, 8:42 PM
I think only two of those weapons would work for clones and I don't think they even issued melee weapons to common soldiers. What they DO issue is advance CQC. An attack with the weapon you have equipped works much better than a weapon you switch to, in every way.
 jondavis
08-01-2009, 8:49 PM
Why not just introduce Factions like the Tusken Raiders, Gamorrean Guards, Imperial Royal Guards, ect that have a class that could use melee weapons then making it usable for every faction?
 shukkoku
08-01-2009, 9:11 PM
That is completely aside the point, besides that's just adding content to justify a separate weapon system. I still think it would be much easier, and better, to have a simple attack
 jawathehutt
08-01-2009, 9:15 PM
Because if the melee units happened to be unbalanced(which they would be, "it is lucasarts"), that would destroy the game. One of the reasons why I'm always wary when I see a map with a melee unit on one side is because usually that melee unit is basically a jedi without powers and a lightsaber disguised as a vibrosword
 shukkoku
08-01-2009, 11:49 PM
yeah, what i'm saying is that every unit get a melee attack pertaining to that weapon-all of which doing the same damage- then it couldn't be unbalanced. And it's a lot better than a melee weapon to switch to.
Page: 1 of 1