Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is screenshots porting?

Page: 1 of 1
 Canderis
01-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Would it be a porting mod to take a screenshot from one game and paste the whole screenshot as a texture?
 xrefusex
01-24-2009, 2:47 PM
Probably, since you're basing your 'new' texture on a copyrighted one. If you're going to do that, you might as well rip the actual texture, which is a no-no.
 Marius Fett
01-24-2009, 3:10 PM
Actually, I don't think it is.

There was a mod a while back that used screenies from K1 in TSL, and nobody considered that porting.
 EnderWiggin
01-24-2009, 3:23 PM
Would it be a porting mod to take a screenshot from one game and paste the whole screenshot as a texture?

You're using a screenshot as a wall-texture or something like that?

Nah, it should be fine.

_EW_
 Canderis
01-24-2009, 3:37 PM
Im using them to make a mod like the telos billboard mod.
 EnderWiggin
01-24-2009, 3:40 PM
Im using them to make a mod like the telos billboard mod.

Should be fine.

_EW_
 Mandalore_The_Great
01-24-2009, 10:12 PM
ya, sounds fine to me
 Drewton
01-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Edit: Nevermind.
 xrefusex
01-25-2009, 7:07 AM
I was under the impression that you wanted to take a screenshot picture of, say, the desert floor texture in K1 and then use that as a texture for a module in K2. If you're using your screenshots as 'pictures' on walls or computer screens or whatever though, no, I don't think you'd have a problem. Porting is taking one game's assets (which would include models, sounds, textures, etc...) and importing it into another game, from then on, it's a matter of interpreting what that actually means and to what extent this applies.
 redrob41
01-26-2009, 10:58 AM
"Modders may create from scratch mods that resemble assets from another game." (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=127725)

What this says to me is that you could start with a blank image, and paint it to look like an in-game texture. You could use a screenshot as a visual referance, but copying and pasting from a screenshot would be just like copying and pasting directly from the original tga.

For example, I recently made a skin for TSL where a character has a tattoo like Canderous' from K1. I drew a B&W version of it with the pencil tool (while looking at the original tga), then using that new image, I brought it into my final character skin. The key is, I didn't actually copy or paste anything from a KotOR asset, not even from a screenshot. I only pasted from a drawing I created myself.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4612/wipkelborn3underwearsh4.th.jpg) (http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wipkelborn3underwearsh4.jpg)
 SpaceAlex
01-26-2009, 1:36 PM
I don't think anyone's gonna care, one way or another. There's no reason to be *that* strict.
 Darth Avlectus
01-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Hey if sciamano made his mods (skins) of SW movie characters that way, I don't think it's gonna be a biggie. Pics used to preview and tease are basically free and just out there...I seriously doubt anyone is gonna care one way or another.

If you're worried about infringement, well, you're not doing it for profit and since it's all kinda under the same tent of SW anyway. I don't *really* see any problems from a legal standpoint. Else things like MUGEN or ROMhacks would get shut down by the feds wherever they surface.
Page: 1 of 1