Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Release Day / The Day of Adumbration

Page: 1 of 1
 Quente
01-21-2009, 1:28 PM
when will the silence broken?
when lucas arts will finally announce what or deny?
 jawathehutt
01-21-2009, 4:25 PM
March 23

Did you believe me?
But seriously we dont know
 shukkoku
01-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I almost hope for longer because that would give them time to improve the game
 GeneralPloKoon
01-23-2009, 11:55 PM
We aren't getting any info any time soon.
 Zwier Zak
01-24-2009, 4:18 AM
It is kinnda strange thow. We could see officjal statments about games in the past (JK, JK2, TFU) when they were in werry early stages of development. Wat we saw in the trailer seemed close to being done. Lucasarts should make a statment sooner to build up the hype right?
 GeneralPloKoon
01-24-2009, 2:45 PM
Lucasarts has a new Presisdent,Darrel Rodrigez, which appears to be doing things for differently than the old one, Jim Ward.
 shukkoku
02-13-2009, 11:13 AM
I think i liked Jim ward better, That is if he kept us posted
 Redtech
02-18-2009, 7:25 PM
I'm shocked there really is a BF3!
 jawathehutt
02-18-2009, 8:24 PM
I'm shocked there really is a BF3!
:Open2: I'm shocked to see you here!
 Redtech
02-25-2009, 6:00 PM
I live. I've been spending time on Petroglyph forums (the guys who made EAW) and so-forth, but heck, we NEED a BF3 that's good!
 GeneralPloKoon
02-25-2009, 7:32 PM
I live. I've been spending time on Petroglyph forums (the guys who made EAW) and so-forth, but heck, we NEED a BF3 that's good!
Indeed, but maybe more than good, perfect! With all this time in their hands...
 Rinku
02-28-2009, 4:21 PM
^ Agreed. It has to be perfect not good.

You would think though that something as to (at least) the year that it is going to come out would be announced.
 GeneralPloKoon
03-01-2009, 12:38 PM
E3 is coming, it may be our only hope!
 jawathehutt
03-01-2009, 4:16 PM
Unless E3 suddenly reverted to its old form, I doubt we'll be seeing anything out of it other than a gameplay video for some random console game that most people will ignore
 Redtech
03-02-2009, 7:23 AM
Unless E3 suddenly reverted to its old form, I doubt we'll be seeing anything out of it other than a gameplay video for some random console game that most people will ignore
Because right now more people are playing BFront1/2 than Halo am I right? :P

If they want to impress me, nix the Jedi and the fluff and excess from the previous games and make Battlefront III a DECENT SHOOTER that is enhanced by the Star Wars universe, rather than making it a Jedi-battlefront with token soldiers. It's why I prefer the first game. At least I know I get pwned because I fail, rather than because someone spawned as a Jedi. There are games that do lightsabres and the force better, why not revert Battlefront into what it's about: Being a lone grunt in a huge army fighting the behind-the-scenes-battles of Star Wars?
 Nietzsche's God
03-04-2009, 5:16 PM
Double post.
 Nietzsche's God
03-04-2009, 5:20 PM
Because right now more people are playing BFront1/2 than Halo am I right? :P

If they want to impress me, nix the Jedi and the fluff and excess from the previous games and make Battlefront III a DECENT SHOOTER that is enhanced by the Star Wars universe, rather than making it a Jedi-battlefront with token soldiers. It's why I prefer the first game. At least I know I get pwned because I fail, rather than because someone spawned as a Jedi. There are games that do lightsabres and the force better, why not revert Battlefront into what it's about: Being a lone grunt in a huge army fighting the behind-the-scenes-battles of Star Wars?

It is not impossible to kill an experienced player playing as a Jedi (or Sith) lord. I say it is a challenge at least when all you do is resort to diving incoming attacks. It is all about how you utilize and monitor your stamina bar.
And if you fail, I am sure that you can try again when you respawn and the possibilities of winning the next match can be more favorable to you.

My favorite btw is the Rifleman.
 joesdomain
03-04-2009, 6:19 PM
I love Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefront II. I just hated them taking out orbital strike, cloud city map, and not putting in bounty hunters. Plus no b-wings or imperial lambda class shuttles.
 jawathehutt
03-04-2009, 6:24 PM
It is not impossible to kill an experienced player playing as a Jedi (or Sith) lord. I say it is a challenge at least when all you do is resort to diving incoming attacks. It is all about how you utilize and monitor your stamina bar.
And if you fail, I am sure that you can try again when you respawn and the possibilities of winning the next match can be more favorable to you.

My favorite btw is the Rifleman.
Except you shouldnt have to in a game thats supposed to have its focus on infantry combat. Imagine what would happen if Dice decided to add a "superninjavampire" class to 2142 that had vampire health and 3x as much health as normal soldier, and then gave them a 1-2 hit kill weapon. Servers would empty out immediately and the community wouldnt return until the god unit had been removed.
 Bokken
03-04-2009, 6:35 PM
Jawa, that pretty much completely summed it up.

1) Yes, the Heroes have vampire health, which never made much sense to me.
2) Yes, the heroes do have about 3x as much health as the infantry.
3) Yes, the lightsaber kills an infantry player in 1-2 hits, and with saber throw, it doesn't even have to be close range.

The only good way to remove a hero is to either det or mine noob until someone succeeds.
 GeneralPloKoon
03-04-2009, 6:38 PM
If people want heroes there is plently of other Star Wars games out there to be one in. Such as Jedi Knight, TFU, so on and so forth.
 joesdomain
03-04-2009, 10:47 PM
The heroes are the cool part of Battlefront II. The Battlefront 1 and 2 was never 100% infantry based. That would mean it would solider vs solider and no vehicles, starships, etc. There are starships and vehicles in it. There are jawas, ewoks, wookiees, gungans, etc. This is Star Wars and having heroes in it are essential. Otherwise it would be a boring war game. I could not stand those. I got tired of Medal of Honor series. I would hate to have something like that. Having Jedi/Sith, bounty hunters is what makes it star wars. Otherwise, it is generic!
 Bokken
03-05-2009, 12:12 AM
There are starships and vehicles in it. There are Jawas, Ewoks, Wookiees, Gungans, etc.

OK, the vehicles I can deal with because they're obviously part of the game. But honestly, how many times do you hear about Darth Sidious engaging in direct combat in the Death Star? Or hear about Aayla Secura vs. Darth Maul in Jabba's Palace?
And we define infantry as someone who shoots guns. I can deal with Bounty Hunters, too, as long as they don't have the feature now-dubbed "vampire health."
 Nietzsche's God
03-05-2009, 7:04 AM
Except you shouldnt have to in a game thats supposed to have its focus on infantry combat. Imagine what would happen if Dice decided to add a "superninjavampire" class to 2142 that had vampire health and 3x as much health as normal soldier, and then gave them a 1-2 hit kill weapon. Servers would empty out immediately and the community wouldnt return until the god unit had been removed.
Don't be rediculous. It seems to me that you are giving me the impression of someone who does poorly on combating players who obtain the Jedi (or Sith) character during gameplay. I say you have issues not of this inability to find a way to kill a challenging foe, but someone who has extreme wounded pride of not being the best all the time.;)

I am sure they (whoever is going to be the director of this project) will not change much from Battlefront 2, and will more likely allow people to make servers having no heroes (or villians) in the game setup. So both side of the coin can play on what they prefer to their likings.
 LordJhredmo
03-05-2009, 9:05 AM
Greetings, all.

With the news of Battlefront III coming, I’ve felt a refreshing feeling of hope for the future of gaming, in the case of my personal tastes. I’ve been a little troubled by the news of the Crytek UK purchase of Free Radical and the troubling rumors of the project being scrapped (which I doubt), let alone some of the most alluring features, such as the land-to-space seamless flight.

Due to the high concentration of opinion-posting occurring (specifically, regarding heroes) in this thread, I have decided that I, too, will print my assho- I mean my opinion, since everyone else seems to be publicizing theirs. For the sake of easier reading, I’m going to reply to some previous posts based on the post content.

-RedTech: I mean no offence to you by this, Veteran Defeat-definer, but I don’t think “they” are necessarily interested in impressing you, but to the mass popular opinion, obviously, to maximize sales. I sincerely feel that the majority of those they have (or will) polled/tested to gain a grip on the greater opinion have not expressed their disinterest in seeing heroes in the fourth installment. I can see where you’re coming from with your thoughts on balance, but I doubt that they’ll revert the BFIII to the “lone grunt behind-the-scenes” concept of the first. It was too heavily marketed as a great new feature for BFII to be removed in BFIII as an improvement. Sure, the Jedi Knight series has mastered simulated saber combat, but does that mean lightsabers have no place on the field of battle in any other game? I don’t think so.

-joesdomain: I only played the first Battlefront once, unfortunately, but I agree that the orbital strike and Cloud City map were great losses when removed. I could see how orbital strike may have been removed for the sake of balance, but from the positive reception, I’m not entirely sure it was a prudent choice. I’ve always loved the Lambda-class shuttle. I don’t know how they sleep at night knowing they put in the Theta-class shuttles in place of the elegant Lambdas. They do have the two Fetts, though, joe. I suppose they didn’t want to overdo the hero aspect of game play by adding the characters that were barely support for the story, like all those compelling bounty hunters. Perhaps a minigame or special map setting on a specific map, like a hero assault, but it's only bounty hunters? Maybe a hunt for someone/thing. Just an idea.

-jawathehutt: Mr. Hutt, I usually silently agree with your posts, since you always speak my opinions before I even get a chance to fully read the topic and form them (minds to the like?), in this case, my personal opinion differs. While I agree completely that the stats of heroes in-game should all be drastically reduced, since the 3x health, 1-2 hit kills, and on top of that; vampiric regeneration, I don’t think they’re out of place in the game at all. If you think about it, the Star Wars plot is primarily character driven, so it would be a sad loss to see them removed.

Also, the features of BFII were obviously meant to shift focus from all ground-infantry/armor tactics to share with hero (large targets) and space combat. The problem is, though, is that it isn’t 2142 or DICE. It’s Battlefront III and LucasArts/Crytek UK. Your hypothetical comparison is not only exaggerated, it’s completely irrelevant in this case. The Star Wars universe is riddled with many canonized characters that move the story along, as well as attract a good portion of the players’ interest into going past the movies. The BFII servers are not empty, but rather the opposite. They’re doing quite well, considering everything. How could that ever occur with 2142? I’ve never played the game myself, but I wasn’t aware of any canon characters that were playable to any extent. If there are, I’d be more than interested to entertain this and other speculations regarding hero potential.

-bokkenblader56: The idea behind vampire health for heroes was to limit their lifespan with the slow drain, but if the hero kills enough troops, they can stay alive longer. That way, you don’t have heroes hiding behind the lines, camping, or relaxing. I do believe, however, that a simple health bar that’s 2-3x the size of a normal infantryman (3 being for the more health-focused heroes, rather than damage/weapon/skill capability). You answered the problem yourself. You require heavy weapons to be rid of an enemy hero.

And in reply to your later post, I agree that Darth Sidious’ frequency of presence in combat was minimal, but how can you say that it isn’t worth casting Force Lightning on some pathetic Rebels as they cower before you!? :lightning But Aayla Secura vs. Darth Maul is highly inappropriate, I agree. Darth Maul should only have been featured in Naboo and maybe Tatooine and/or Coruscant. In the end, like I said above, you have to admit that Battlefront has moved away from infantry focused game play and more for hero use and space combat, which makes the game more interesting as a whole.

-Nietzsche's God: I totally agree with that. I admit I find myself feeling that way at times. :xp:

In finality, I want one thing to be clear to all those who have read my above text in regards to this conversation and to make sure anyone who was smart enough to skip over most (or better yet, all) of it, that:
Heroes are, and will most likely be in the new installment, an OPTIONAL choice in the settings, like many things. Simply find a server with no heroes (which most these days are, including those of my club, IGF, unless the event of that week is hero themed, which rarely happens).

Thank you to all who read some/all of this. I will look forward to reading your replies and criticisms toward my opinion.

Good luck and happy fraggin’. May the Force be with you.
-Evix Jhredmo
 Bokken
03-05-2009, 1:25 PM
Good posting, you addressed everything without being rude. But why not just give heroes normal health? I'd settle for that even if it was 3x the amount of a normal unit's. And as for most servers these days being hero-less, the two big ones (Shattered Planet and Jedi Battle Arena) have heroes. Even some of the lesser big ones, such as WGO Order 66, have heroes on them.

And Nietzsche, have you ever been spawn killed multiple times by the same hero spamming saber throw? If you haven't, I recommend you head on out to a populated server and try to kill the hero yourself. Show us all up. And for God's sake, don't get irritated after the first 11 spawn kills.
 LordJhredmo
03-05-2009, 2:26 PM
Yes, that's my feeling, too. Normal health should be fine for them, since every other (not so) living unit looks death in the gaunt visage constantly, why shouldn't heroes be just as afraid? You're right, 3x health wouldn't be so bad if they couldn't recharge back with one or two right clicks (depending on your controls/platform).

[laughs]

I love when that happens. Just camp on the spawn and toss your saber when the next wave comes in. Yum-yum. In all seriousness, though, it gets boring quicker than you can say DEFEAT.

Thank you, bokken.
 Redtech
03-05-2009, 2:27 PM
Lord J, I accept that argument, but as always, don't like it.

I'm just frustrated that LA are so content to depend on the Star Wars name instead of really doing anything that would boot original IPs into the trash can. While obviously they can churn out products to the casual market, they don't get continued sales over extended periods because they just don't have the lengthy appeal of more well established games. Sort of like the EA strategy, but worse since LA don't have the money to just spam games so easily.
 LordJhredmo
03-05-2009, 2:44 PM
I understand. I feel the same way at times. I just wanted to present my own feelings on the subject. By well-established, you mean games like Warcraft III, Half-life and those? Staying power is what makes a good game for all. I agree.

EA... I own all three Battle for Middle-earth games. Rip-off. While I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, I found the balance, lag, and patch support appalling. Down with EA. :snear:

Thank you for your reply, Redtech.
 Bokken
03-05-2009, 3:49 PM
They just aren't making games like they used to; I blame the economy and people who want more money than they should reasonably get for games.
 GeneralPloKoon
03-05-2009, 8:25 PM
I would blame the economy for Free Radicals downfall, hopefully Crytek UK(the new Free Radical) will pick up Battlefront III. Lucasarts is just plain greedy now, they hardly care what their fans want anymore.
 jawathehutt
03-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm honestly in shock that theres a new member who's capable of not only forming a complete sentence, but a good argument, welcome to the community
 M@RS
03-05-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm honestly in shock that theres a new member who's capable of not only forming a complete sentence, but a good argument, welcome to the community

I agree... I've been here awhile and I still have problems forming a good argument sometimes... :xp:

Welcome to LF... :)
 LordJhredmo
03-05-2009, 11:17 PM
You do me great honour, jawa. Thank you.

Thank you, too, M@RS. Pleased to meet you.
 Nietzsche's God
03-06-2009, 7:07 AM
-bokkenblader56: The idea behind vampire health for heroes was to limit their lifespan with the slow drain, but if the hero kills enough troops, they can stay alive longer. That way, you don’t have heroes hiding behind the lines, camping, or relaxing. I do believe, however, that a simple health bar that’s 2-3x the size of a normal infantryman (3 being for the more health-focused heroes, rather than damage/weapon/skill capability). You answered the problem yourself. You require heavy weapons to be rid of an enemy hero.

I know that this is only directed to the wooden swordsman, but I must interject by saying that if they do allow the hero and villians having increased health bar attributes, then all you will have is players doing the very thing as the same as the other players having the other generic classes. That is: hiding behind the lines, camping, or just plain farting around and doing nothing to contribute for the team chances of winning the battle. Unless maybe there can be some kind of a time limit of how long a player can use the heroes. I say it is a stupid idea anyway. So keep the existing vampire health, but have both appear at the same time for both factions during the middle of the game period.

And Nietzsche, have you ever been spawn killed multiple times by the same hero spamming saber throw? If you haven't, I recommend you head on out to a populated server and try to kill the hero yourself. Show us all up. And for God's sake, don't get irritated after the first 11 spawn kills.I don't let that bother me at all. It is all but a game dude. The only thing it does is make me want to confront the player in the next game session. And yeah, I do make good on my revenge.:shades2:
 Bokken
03-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Eh, I play the game to have fun, and getting spawn camped just isn't my idea of it. And the fact that only one hero ever appears at any one time has always gotten on my nerves. I think they have, on occasion, confronted each other on JBA, but on SP it's usually alternating. But at least this time around it's not like Battlefront where the heroes were practically invincible.
 LordJhredmo
03-06-2009, 2:13 PM
What you're saying makes a lot of sense, and you're right. The vampire health should be more of a drawback than advantage, though. I think this would best be done by nerfing health/damage by a lot. Then regaining health is more of a challenge. Also, that's how heroes spawn. They're both timed to come at the same time, it just depends on how long it takes the awarded player to accept it.

In the end, I agree with you on keeping vampire health, actually, but there should be no 1-2 hit kills whatsoever. Heroes' stats should reflect that they can't just kill everyone, and when they fight, they can die. The only way they die in BFII, right now, is if they've killed everyone in an area and their life runs out before finding new victims. That's not very fun for anyone, especially for balance.

I'm glad to hear you're unscathed. Unfortunately, my home internet is out (which I'm working on restoring in a week or so), but call me on Xfire and we'll hop on a server together once I'm back.

Thank you for your reply. Good luck and have fun.

----------

I totally know what you mean, bokken. I don't think heroes should be able to spawn camp, meaning that I think they're stats should be such that they are best suited with allies, and not so good alone.
 Redtech
03-06-2009, 2:34 PM
Haven't got much more to add than to agree with M@rs' statement! :P
Apart from the usual "down with EA rhetoric" as a hardcore Command And Conquer fan. Anyway, I'm sure that LA know what they're doing, I just hope that they can produce a product that doesn't disappoint, that's really what it's all about.
 CommanderQ
03-06-2009, 2:53 PM
You know, I do not think it will be long now until we actually hear word of BattleFront 3's coming, mostly due to the fact that the new Lord of the Rings: Conquest game has the nearly the same gameplay as the Battlefront series. Just a theory to explore, but maybe Conquest could be sort've a 'guinea pig' for a new form of Battlefront, we may see something new. But that's just a theory, but we'll probably have that confirmed sometime this year...they have to!:D

Also, welcome to the forums, LordJhredmo! It's always good to have a new addition to the groupen, especially one that can form an excellent argument! Welcome!:D
 Bokken
03-06-2009, 3:48 PM
Yeah, the forums almost came alive for a minute.

Anyway, I'm sure that LA know what they're doing...

There's a paradox in that sentence, considering what the did to SWBF2.
 LordJhredmo
03-06-2009, 3:55 PM
Yeah, the forums almost came alive for a minute.

Haven't got much more to add than to agree with M@rs' statement! :P
Apart from the usual "down with EA rhetoric" as a hardcore Command And Conquer fan. Anyway, I'm sure that LA know what they're doing, I just hope that they can produce a product that doesn't disappoint, that's really what it's all about.

There's a paradox in that sentence, considering what the did to SWBF2.

It's a paradox within a pyramid, now.

Anyway, thank you, CommanderQ. I'm glad to be here.

Thanks, bokken. It's nice to know you're appreciated sometimes. I hope to continue the liveliness, but I doubt that'll take much work. This is a very fine community and I look forward to being an active member of it.

G'day, all.
-Evix
 GeneralPloKoon
03-07-2009, 11:15 AM
This is why I like new members! They bring life! We were running out of topics...
 LordJhredmo
03-07-2009, 12:48 PM
And so continues the layers of compliments. Thank you, Master Plo.
 Nietzsche's God
03-09-2009, 5:08 PM
Sorry for taking long to response your generous post. Some people have to work for a living ;)

What you're saying makes a lot of sense, and you're right. The vampire health should be more of a drawback than advantage, though. I think this would best be done by nerfing health/damage by a lot. Then regaining health is more of a challenge. Also, that's how heroes spawn. They're both timed to come at the same time, it just depends on how long it takes the awarded player to accept it.You failed to forget that the settings can be altered where the player with the lowest score can be awarded the heroes. To me, I find that fair to players who are not as good as other players, and it give them the chance to actually have some kills. Nothing wrong with noobs getting the advantages once in awhile. lol

In the end, I agree with you on keeping vampire health, actually, but there should be no 1-2 hit kills whatsoever. Heroes' stats should reflect that they can't just kill everyone, and when they fight, they can die. The only way they die in BFII, right now, is if they've killed everyone in an area and their life runs out before finding new victims. That's not very fun for anyone, especially for balance.In the movie, comic books, and the cartoons story lines are all pretty much the same when regarding the saber being the best weapon in combat. You know, they are laser control swords and all. And that to me strike as true to the storyline of the Star Wars Universe. The only grievence i have is the saber-throw. How many times in any stories of Star Wars that had Jedis or Sith lords throwing sabers like a boomerang? Quite rediculous to me I think.

So i think it is realistic in the spirit of Star Wars that heroes can have the ability to kill enemy combatants with one or two hit kills with the swords.

I'm glad to hear you're unscathed. Unfortunately, my home internet is out (which I'm working on restoring in a week or so), but call me on Xfire and we'll hop on a server together once I'm back.Unfortunately for you, I have given it away to a dear buddy of mine. Which today I found out he sold it for an eighth of an ounce of weed. Rofl.

I might go to Best Buy and get another one. It is only 20 bucks I think.:)

----------
 jawathehutt
03-09-2009, 6:13 PM
This is why I like new members! They bring life! We were running out of topics...
Unfortunately up until about a month ago most were just people coming to sign a useless online petition or people who would rez a year old topic than disapear for all eternity. And before that... well we'll just leave out the Tyrone affair and the dark ages of this board.
 Bokken
03-09-2009, 8:10 PM
he only grievance i have is the saber-throw. How many times in any stories of Star Wars that had Jedi's or Sith Lords throwing sabers like a boomerang? Quite ridiculous to me I think.

I think it was intended as force push the saber, force pull the saber, or something.

So i think it is realistic in the spirit of Star Wars that heroes can have the ability to kill enemy combatants with one or two hit kills with the swords.

If you put it that way, then a laser shot should probably kill someone in more than 8 hits, too.
 jawathehutt
03-09-2009, 8:13 PM

It however is not SW realistic that they can take more damage than a tank and vampire health off enemies.
 LordJhredmo
03-10-2009, 9:12 PM
Sorry for taking long to response your generous post. Some people have to work for a living ;)

You failed to forget that the settings can be altered where the player with the lowest score can be awarded the heroes. To me, I find that fair to players who are not as good as other players, and it give them the chance to actually have some kills. Nothing wrong with noobs getting the advantages once in awhile. lol

In the movie, comic books, and the cartoons story lines are all pretty much the same when regarding the saber being the best weapon in combat. You know, they are laser control swords and all. And that to me strike as true to the storyline of the Star Wars Universe. The only grievence i have is the saber-throw. How many times in any stories of Star Wars that had Jedis or Sith lords throwing sabers like a boomerang? Quite rediculous to me I think.

Unfortunately for you, I have given it away to a dear buddy of mine. Which today I found out he sold it for an eighth of an ounce of weed. Rofl.

I might go to Best Buy and get another one. It is only 20 bucks I think.:)

Don't worry and don't be sorry, I understand completely.
Aye. Work=money=bills=internet=your presence. Keep up the good work, mate.

Yes, I "failed to forget" that it can be awarded to the lowest-scoring player. I did keep that in mind. Thank you for noticing that. :^:

I think that everyone here can agree that the lightsaber is the best single combat weapon (a lightsaber does little during an orbital bombardment, eh). Saber throw is overpowered and overused. Regardless of storyline, it destroys game play and balance by making heroes so ridiculous (especially Force-users/lightsaber wielders). I personally believe that game play/balance should take priority over a fictional universe's realism and physics.

With that said, I have to disagree with you and the "spirit of Star Wars," that heroes should be able to slaughter all, while decimating enemies and boosting death counts, as I believe that hero kills don't enter into the score screen's stats... though I may be wrong. :confused:

You ought to go ahead and purchase it again! I want to see you online. Sorry to hear about your friend's affliction.

See you later.
-Evix
Page: 1 of 1