Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

When did the Sith and Jedi start wearing spandex?

Page: 1 of 1
 Yar-El
12-18-2008, 6:35 PM
When did the Sith and Jedi start wearing spandex?
Did anyone else noticed this?

Star Wars MMO - Gallery (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/nggallery/page-20/album-2/gallery-3/)
 M@RS
12-18-2008, 7:08 PM
lolz I noticed that too... I wonder why they did that...
 Yar-El
12-18-2008, 7:28 PM
We went back to the 80s. Do they also have leg warmers on? :)
 M@RS
12-18-2008, 7:35 PM
Or bell bottoms from the 60's... :lol:
 Yar-El
12-18-2008, 7:40 PM
:lol: Lucas must be reliving his childhood. :D
 M@RS
12-18-2008, 7:47 PM
lolz Yeah... He misses the days when "if it feels good do it"... :D
 CommanderQ
12-18-2008, 9:06 PM
They started wearing spandex.....oh

......something just died inside me...ugh

I had no idea that they never moved on from the 70s....must be George Lucas' fault:D
 Jeff
12-18-2008, 9:13 PM
I believe it was in the first video documentary (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/features/video-documentary-1/) that they addressed this, saying that those were just the starting outfits and they have since added many new outfits.
 CommanderQ
12-18-2008, 9:16 PM
Aw, well that is a good thing to know, new outfits would help our poorly clothed Jedi and Sith friends.
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
12-18-2008, 11:38 PM
bastila started the trend. :lol:
 Zerimar Nyliram
12-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah, there's nothing unique about this group of Sith whatsoever, and they are supposed to be the mysterious "true" Sith. I wish they would have had them all be of the Sith species, not just their emperor.
 True_Avery
12-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Too bad the Sith species is extinct.

And no, they have yet to be called "True Sith".
 adamqd
12-19-2008, 5:04 AM
well if you read the TOTJ and play KotOR 1 you'll notice that "Spandex" is quite common among Jedi, or at least the robes more stylish, tight fitting and colorful than the drab browns of TSL and the movies. I want armored Shoulder pads, and chains and amulets, hair jewelry, the whole shebang sister! I've worn an outfit consisting of some shade of beige tunic, with an ill fitting brown cloak to many times lol, the surrounding era's of this game (KotOR, TOTJ before and Jedi vs Sith after) have a far richer wardrobe than the movies.
 Jeff
12-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah I agree, I actually hope that the robes are more similar to what we saw in KotOR and the KotOR comics than TSL and the movies. Maybe they will have both styles available.
 M@RS
12-19-2008, 2:11 PM
I'd like both styles to be in the game, I kinda prefer the brown robes of the Jedi in the movies...
 DarthJacen
12-19-2008, 2:50 PM
:lol: Lucas must be reliving his childhood. :D

Actually, George Lucas, rarely gets, directly, involved in the merchandise, like video games, books, comic, etc. He mostly gets involved in the "important" projects, such as, movies, The Clone Wars Television Series, and the Radio dramas. So far, those are the only places I've actually seen his name in the credits. Also, if he were involved, everything would be done his way. The Clone Wars (movie) and television series is proof of that. But, as a result of him getting involved, big named movie actors start showing up in the credits as well, such as Anthony Daniels, Samuel L. Jackson, Ahmad Best (Jar Jar Binks), and Christopher Lee have all made voice overs for either the movie version or the television series.
 SW01
12-19-2008, 4:42 PM
I didn't mind the KotOR robes (as they were unique from the 4 millenium later films) - but they still looked more cloth-y than these lycra offerings. I think the ideal would be the KotOR-style tunic with an option for a cloak.
 DarthJacen
12-19-2008, 6:08 PM
I didn't mind the KotOR robes (as they were unique from the 4 millenium later films) - but they still looked more cloth-y than these lycra offerings. I think the ideal would be the KotOR-style tunic with an option for a cloak.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you're supposed to wield a lightsaber when you have to stop and pick a self inflicted wedgie.
 Zerimar Nyliram
12-19-2008, 6:33 PM
Too bad the Sith species is extinct.

And no, they have yet to be called "True Sith".

(Sigh.) Use your imagination, dude! I know it's canonically extinct! What I meant was (and I'm surprised you didn't pick up on this immediately) is that they could be revealed to be, you know, not actually extinct? Like perhaps a splinter faction went into hiding and restored their civilization back to its former glory in secret out in the Unknown Regions. You know, the "long-believed-to-have-vanquished-but-we-were-mistaken" route that such franchises often take?

I still say that the "true Sith" should have had something to do with the Sith species around Adas's time, who were previously primitive but propelled into a space age due to the arrival of the invading Rakata, but later devolved right back to the stone age by the time of the arrival of the Dark Jedi. It could have been revealed that those Sith who were able to adapt left their non-adaptive brethren behind, believing them to be "weak," while they themselves set out to build their empire elsewhere. Had this been the route Bioware had chosen to take, these other mysterious Sith would have been completely unique, having absolutely nothing to do with the Sith Order and, by extension, the Jedi. As such, their purpose for conquest could have been an equally unique one: instead of seeking to destroy the Jedi or the Republic (whom they really have no interest in whatsoever), perhaps the "true Sith" seek to destroy the Sith Order (i.e. the sworn enemies of the Jedi), believing them to be an extension of their "weak" counterparts whom they had abandoned on Korriban and Ziost all those millennia ago (and whom the exiled Dark Jedi had conquered, subjugated, and intermingled with, having become one society whose line of succession continued through various Sith Lords until the time of the game, including those we have seen in the previous two games). And if the Jedi or the Republic stand in the way, let them be crushed as well.

See, that would have made for an interesting plot premise. And there are a multitude of other connections they could have made as well. Instead, they went with the most predictable, obvious and uninteresting: that these are the continuation of the Sith from the Great Hyperspace War, which was everyone's first assumption all those years ago but was quickly buried in other, more interesting theories, being believed by most fans too obvious to be the truth. But unfortunately, that was what we got.

But still, with the connection they've made -- that this order is a continuation of the Old Sith Empire -- it would have been far more interesting had they made all of them of the Sith species-human Dark Jedi crossbreed seen in the Tales of the Jedi comics instead of plain old Sith lead by a single leader of the Old Empire, who is likely of said hybrid species. They could have wielded those Sith swords they used in the comics instead of lightsabers; the ones that were imbued with the Force to make them resistent to the Jedi's sabers. That would have been different and interesting.

In summary, I find what the "true Sith" have turned out to be(provided that this truly is the mysterious order that Kreia spoke of in the previous installment) extremely disappointing.

Also, I doubt very much that they actually call themselves "true Sith." That was simply how Kreia chose to refer to them.
 TKA-001
12-19-2008, 8:13 PM
(Sigh.) Use your imagination, dude! I know it's canonically extinct! What I meant was (and I'm surprised you didn't pick up on this immediately) is that they could be revealed to be, you know, not actually extinct? Like perhaps a splinter faction went into hiding and restored their civilization back to its former glory in secret out in the Unknown Regions. You know, the "long-believed-to-have-vanquished-but-we-were-mistaken" route that such franchises often take?

I still say that the "true Sith" should have had something to do with the Sith species around Adas's time, who were previously primitive but propelled into a space age due to the arrival of the invading Rakata, but later devolved right back to the stone age by the time of the arrival of the Dark Jedi. It could have been revealed that those Sith who were able to adapt left their non-adaptive brethren behind, believing them to be "weak," while they themselves set out to build their empire elsewhere. Had this been the route Bioware had chosen to take, these other mysterious Sith would have been completely unique, having absolutely nothing to do with the Sith Order and, by extension, the Jedi. As such, their purpose for conquest could have been an equally unique one: instead of seeking to destroy the Jedi or the Republic (whom they really have no interest in whatsoever), perhaps the "true Sith" seek to destroy the Sith Order (i.e. the sworn enemies of the Jedi), believing them to be an extension of their "weak" counterparts whom they had abandoned on Korriban and Ziost all those millennia ago (and whom the exiled Dark Jedi had conquered, subjugated, and intermingled with, having become one society whose line of succession continued through various Sith Lords until the time of the game, including those we have seen in the previous two games). And if the Jedi or the Republic stand in the way, let them be crushed as well.

See, that would have made for an interesting plot premise. And there are a multitude of other connections they could have made as well. Instead, they went with the most predictable, obvious and uninteresting: that these are the continuation of the Sith from the Great Hyperspace War, which was everyone's first assumption all those years ago but was quickly buried in other, more interesting theories, being believed by most fans too obvious to be the truth. But unfortunately, that was what we got.

But still, with the connection they've made -- that this order is a continuation of the Old Sith Empire -- it would have been far more interesting had they made all of them of the Sith species-human Dark Jedi crossbreed seen in the Tales of the Jedi comics instead of plain old Sith lead by a single leader of the Old Empire, who is likely of said hybrid species. They could have wielded those Sith swords they used in the comics instead of lightsabers; the ones that were imbued with the Force to make them resistent to the Jedi's sabers. That would have been different and interesting.

In summary, I find what the "true Sith" have turned out to be(provided that this truly is the mysterious order that Kreia spoke of in the previous installment) extremely disappointing.
ZN, I find your idea of the True Sith to be mostly based on nit picks, rather than major differences from what we have here with TOR.

Also, I doubt very much that they actually call themselves "true Sith." That was simply how Kreia chose to refer to them.
Yes. Kreia said that Revan's Sith Empire was not actually Sith. For some inane reason she didn't think that Revan was a Sith, so her rationale for calling these Sith the "True" ones probably comes from her not believing that the Sith seen in KOTOR are actual Sith at all. More accurately, they would be called "True Sith" because they are the direct successors of the original Sith Empire.
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
12-19-2008, 10:40 PM
im also disappointed with this true sith from tor. Zerimar's ideas are a lot more interesting imo.

personally, i see no difference between revan's sith and tor's true sith. they both split from the jedi, they both want to take over the galaxy, blah, etc.

its just the same thing, it just happened at two different times. i dont see anything that makes the sith from the great hyperspace war any true-er than exar's, or revan's.

unless: a. im mistaken about something(s)
and b. bioware unleashes a colossal plot twist.
(im hoping for the latter!)

i think sith and jedi all throughout sw history have had a variety of clothes. some have flowing robes, while others have more practical spandex things.
as for wedgies, this is sw... its probably a wonderfully comfortable temperature controlling durable super fabric. its not a stretch (:xp:) to think of. i'm sure we have similar stuff here on earth.
 TKA-001
12-19-2008, 11:53 PM
they both split from the jedi
The True Sith split from the Jedi? Apparently you know something I don't.

they both want to take over the galaxy
What the hell else would be their goal?
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
12-19-2008, 11:55 PM
true sith came from great hyperspace war sith who came from sith who came from jedi.
 DarthJacen
12-20-2008, 12:55 AM
im also disappointed with this true sith from tor. Zerimar's ideas are a lot more interesting imo.

personally, i see no difference between revan's sith and tor's true sith. they both split from the jedi, they both want to take over the galaxy, blah, etc.

its just the same thing, it just happened at two different times. i dont see anything that makes the sith from the great hyperspace war any true-er than exar's, or revan's.

unless: a. im mistaken about something(s)
and b. bioware unleashes a colossal plot twist.
(im hoping for the latter!)

i think sith and jedi all throughout sw history have had a variety of clothes. some have flowing robes, while others have more practical spandex things.
as for wedgies, this is sw... its probably a wonderfully comfortable temperature controlling durable super fabric. its not a stretch to think of. i'm sure we have similar stuff here on earth.

So, who's going to go around and give people the wedgies.
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
12-20-2008, 1:49 AM
So, who's going to go around and give people the wedgies.
why, the opposing sides, of course :lol:
a brand-new-outrageously-obvious-but-never-used-in-canon application of force grip...

:freakout:
 Rev7
12-20-2008, 4:03 AM
Spandex is pretty comfortable, you know. o_Q
 Sabretooth
12-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Show me Jedi and Sith in Leather/Gimp suits and then we're talking.
 Zerimar Nyliram
12-20-2008, 3:18 PM

What the hell else would be their goal?

There was a great rift in the Jedi Order that occurred 7,000 years before the time of the films, where many Jedi fell to the dark side and waged war on the Order. They were defeated and exiled from Republic space, where they came upon Korriban and Ziost, the two homeworlds of a primitive, dark side-wielding species known as the Sith. The Exiles were worshiped as gods, and they easily conquered and enslaved the Sith, eventually intermingling and interbreeding with them until the two peoples became one, and formed the Old Sith Empire seen in the Tales of the Jedi comics. It was this group of Sith-human hybrids that were defeated in the Great Hyperspace War.

That is how these "true Sith" are also linked to the Jedi, just as every other Sith group we've ever known. My idea was to use an event that occurred long before the Sith species were conquered by the exiled Dark Jedi -- and even before the formation of the Republic itself: the time when they staved off the invading Rakata under the leadership of their king, Adas, and were briefly propelled into a space age (having formerly been primitive) and relocated their capital from Korriban to nearby Ziost, before devolving and becoming a primitive society once again by the time of the arrival of the Dark Jedi. That way, they would have had nothing to do with the Jedi or the Republic and their goal could have been something entirely unique, instead of the same old "Kill the Jedi! Destroy the Republic!"

But what ever. We got what we got, and I hope they can make it interesting.
 Yar-El
12-20-2008, 3:47 PM
why, the opposing sides, of course :lol:
a brand-new-outrageously-obvious-but-never-used-in-canon application of force grip...

:freakout:

Force Wedgies? Lucas should consider it as canon. :lol:
 DarthJacen
12-20-2008, 4:51 PM
Force Wedgies? Lucas should consider it as canon. :lol:

I agree, especially, with his role in the 2007 Robot Chicken Star Wars Episode. My favorite quote.

Crazed fan: Oh my God! It's George Lucas!

George Lucas: Oh, dear God! (with a look of total horror)
 darth rogue
12-20-2008, 6:15 PM
the dark jedi who took over the sith species had different goals from the true sith and r
not the "true sith" that kreia spoke of in the previous installment.
 DarthJacen
12-20-2008, 7:21 PM
What does that have to do with the BioWare fashion statement?
 Steve-O Kreesh
12-20-2008, 7:35 PM
Armor over robes for me.

No friggin' spandex!!!!
 Zerimar Nyliram
12-21-2008, 12:34 AM
the dark jedi who took over the sith species had different goals from the true sith and r
not the "true sith" that kreia spoke of in the previous installment.

Okay, follow me:

The Dark Jedi who waged war on the Other Jedi conquered the Sith species and the two became one, forming the Sith Empire.
This group of Sith were defeated in the Great Hyperspace War.
A lone Sith from the Sith Empire escaped and fled to the Unknown Regions, where he started his own group of Sith whom Kriea referred to as the "true Sith."
It is this group that has returned to the Republic space and who are the antagonists in the upcoming MMO.

Do you see the connection now? I never said the Dark Jedi themselves were the "true Sith," but that the "true Sith" are a continuation of the same Sith who mingled with said Dark Jedi.

Got it now?
 DarthJacen
12-21-2008, 3:34 AM
antagonists
 Zerimar Nyliram
12-21-2008, 8:59 AM
 stoffe
12-21-2008, 9:00 AM
"It is this group that has returned to the Republic space and who are the protagonists in the upcoming MMO."

antagonists

Depends on which side you play on, doesn't it? :p
 Yar-El
12-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Do the true Sith species wear spandex?
 Sabretooth
12-21-2008, 11:09 AM

No, no they don't.
 adamqd
12-21-2008, 12:02 PM

they wear less, a cape, a bracelet and a toss piece will do for the Sith species of the pre, and post, Dark Jedi/Sith Species "Key Party"
 Blix
12-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Or how about those over-sized hilts...
 DarthJacen
12-22-2008, 2:56 PM
Depends on which side you play on, doesn't it? :p

Sure, Palpatine!

Or how about those over-sized hilts...

That is a different discussion, and it's moot, now, BioWare already addressed that issue.
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
12-22-2008, 3:55 PM
That is a different discussion, and it's moot, now, BioWare already addressed that issue.
they have? can you point me to it?
 DarthJacen
12-22-2008, 5:28 PM
they have? can you point me to it?

Watch the gameplay footage posted on their official web site.

Here:
http://www.swtor.com/media/vidcasts/viddoc001)
Page: 1 of 1