Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

First Video Documentary Released

Page: 1 of 1
 News
12-12-2008, 2:20 PM
The first video documentary for Star Wars: The Old Republic, including the first gameplay footage has been released and can be found at the official site. Look for the video to be available on our site later today!

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/first-video-documentary-released/)
 Tommycat
12-12-2008, 2:40 PM
I'm actually kinda digging the art direction now.... Scary as that may seem....
Seeing the whole thing in action, that makes me pretty happy. Watching the actual action sequences. seeing how fast it is and how they flow from one action to the next... NICE.
 Litofsky
12-12-2008, 4:50 PM
I liked the clip very much so (though we still haven't heard anything about space combat :(). The combat seemed good enough, and the terrain was interesting.

Here's to hoping that BioWare does a good job on the plot.
 Da_Man_2423
12-12-2008, 5:33 PM
Finally, some in-game footage. Still lots of questions, but it's good to see some actual video.
 HK-42
12-12-2008, 5:51 PM
Hmm great video. Although I think they filmed it awhile back because the pringle cans are back.
 M@RS
12-12-2008, 7:00 PM
Looks good... :D
 adamqd
12-12-2008, 8:02 PM
yep lol, pringles are included hehe,
 Tommycat
12-12-2008, 8:23 PM
Nah, It's new footage. They just cant stop.
 LordOfTheFish
12-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Look good. I look forward to more.
 Rev7
12-13-2008, 2:13 AM
I liked the clip very much so (though we still haven't heard anything about space combat :(). The combat seemed good enough, and the terrain was interesting.

Here's to hoping that BioWare does a good job on the plot.
QFE

Looks really good, and I look forward to seeing more. :D
 Titanius Anglesmith
12-13-2008, 2:36 AM
I'm surprisingly starting to warm up to the art design.
 Tommycat
12-13-2008, 2:52 AM
I'm surprisingly starting to warm up to the art design.

Yeah it's wild. I never thought I would like the art direction... I wasn't real happy with the screenies. Now, I don't mind it so much. Not sure if it was seeing it in motion, or hearing them really get behind it, or just not erally concentrating on it. Heck it might be that I kept making it more and more cartoony in my head, so that seeing it again it seemed ok.
 Ztalker
12-13-2008, 7:03 AM
I like the animations! And is it me, or do we see different fighting styles? The Sith used many vertical slashes, for example....

I LIIIKE
 Tommycat
12-13-2008, 7:09 AM
I like the animations! And is it me, or do we see different fighting styles? The Sith used many vertical slashes, for example....

I LIIIKE

Yeah I though so too. Seems strange now, but I realized that the Jedi seemed to be using a more agressive fighting style. Large exaggerated motions and leaps. Might have just been done to show off for us though.
 Ztalker
12-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Yeah I though so too. Seems strange now, but I realized that the Jedi seemed to be using a more agressive fighting style. Large exaggerated motions and leaps. Might have just been done to show off for us though.

True. I remember guild wars 2 is supposed to do something like that too. Different animations when you jump and attack then when you normally attack.
 Quanon
12-13-2008, 5:48 PM
Yeah it's wild. I never thought I would like the art direction... I wasn't real happy with the screenies. Now, I don't mind it so much. Not sure if it was seeing it in motion, or hearing them really get behind it, or just not erally concentrating on it. Heck it might be that I kept making it more and more cartoony in my head, so that seeing it again it seemed ok.

Like most people I was doubtfull on the art direction, though guy in the video is right.

Many games are pushing to get the most realistic graphics out there, thinking about RPG, like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect.

They all aim for "real" looking people and enviroments.

So I think they took a good take on it, going for the middle line,(yeah a real belgium, me, compromises :lol:) its not like the new animated Clone Wars serie; which is highly cartoony.

So far everything in the screenshots is pretty coherent, which I find very important.

The footage in the red korriban canyon was great, first I though I was looking at concept art untill the ship actually flew by.

Lets hope they reveal more on the companions system and some footage of the story/ dialogue.
 darth rogue
12-13-2008, 6:22 PM
this game is gonna rock
 M@RS
12-13-2008, 6:37 PM
this game is gonna rock

That's what people said about TFU... I don't want to be negative, but Lucasarts has done this before (multiple times) in the past...
 Da_Man_2423
12-13-2008, 6:40 PM
That's what people said about TFU... I don't want to be negative, but Lucasarts has done this before (multiple times) in the past...

I have way more faith in a game developed by BioWare than by LucasArts...
 Steve-O Kreesh
12-13-2008, 8:14 PM
I'm reserving my judgment until the game is a little more finalized.

No pringles can lightsabers.

And I think they should add more frames per second for the fighting. Just my opinion.
 Rinku
12-16-2008, 7:24 PM
I just saw the video...

AMAZING, I am really amped up for this game cannot wait.
 Paddythegreat
12-19-2008, 6:30 PM
Looks great, I wouldn't worry to much about the frame rate im sure the game will be polished fully before release. I was most excited about what looked like a polearm/pike and a flame thrower. I refuse to go jedi, everyone is gonna be one.
 Darth Smaug
12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
It looks good, the combat style is just the same as in Kotor I & II
Page: 1 of 1