Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Alex Freed on writing stories in the Star Wars Universe

Page: 1 of 1
 News
12-05-2008, 4:00 PM
Senior Writer and Managing Editor Alex Freed talks about how the writing team for the Old Republic must utilize the existing Star Wars mythos, highlighting certain important features that must be considered when crafting the story for the Old Republic. He stresses the need to build on the movies as the ‘foundation’ and take on [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/alex-freed-on-writing-stories-in-the-star-wars-universe/)
 Litofsky
12-05-2008, 4:55 PM
I find it rather ironic that Bioware would need to come out and say "We need to stick to established canon," as opposed to just doing it. I realize that it's a relatively untouched area, and that only two games have preceded this game, but is Bioware so uniformed in the ways of Star Wars that they must say what they did?
 Jeff
12-05-2008, 4:57 PM
I find it rather ironic that Bioware would need to come out and say "We need to stick to established canon," as opposed to just doing it. I realize that it's a relatively untouched area, and that only two games have preceded this game, but is Bioware so uniformed in the ways of Star Wars that they must say what they did?I don't think so. I would say BioWare actually knows Star Wars best out of third party developers. Since this is a blog entry on their site it's more what the writer is thinking, not really an announcement.
 Litofsky
12-05-2008, 5:00 PM
I don't think so. I would say BioWare actually knows Star Wars best out of third party developers. Since this is a blog entry on their site it's more what the writer is thinking, not really an announcement.

My apologies then: I was just saying that it seems odd for the writer to say "We need to stick to canon." I thought that was mandatory for most games?
 Jeff
12-05-2008, 5:57 PM
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I know BioWare is working closely with LA to make sure their ideas fly with the established SW lore.
 Tommycat
12-06-2008, 3:15 AM
My apologies then: I was just saying that it seems odd for the writer to say "We need to stick to canon." I thought that was mandatory for most games?

Well better than saying they intend to rewrite canon. I find it refreshing that they want to stick with the established canon. There are a lot of writers that ignore canon. Many game writers say forget canon and lets make this an addition to canon. SWG is an example of one that dropped a big ole steamer on canon.
Page: 1 of 1