Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Darth Title?

Page: 1 of 1
 Zayne Carrick
12-02-2008, 5:11 AM
Since there is going to be a large Empire of the Sith, and possibly several Sith Lords, what do you think will happen to the Darth Title?

Will it be used by the Emperor only?

Will just a few (preferably the ones on the Dark Council) have them?

Does any one else have an idea?
 SW01
12-02-2008, 9:21 AM
I've thought about this too - initially entertaining the probably vain hope that we will be offered the 'Darth' honour if/when attaining the rank of Sith Lord, but thinking back to KotOR, it wasn't actually all that prevalent. Seemed to be only the Dark Lord and his apprentice that took the title. There were Darths Revan, Malak, and Bandon, but then various other high-ranking Sith keeping 'normal' names - like Jorak Uln, Uthar Wynn, etc.

So my guess is that it will be the Emperor - if he is not simply referred to as 'the Emperor' or 'Emperor [whatever]' - and his apprentice.
 The Doctor
12-02-2008, 1:58 PM
I'm worried about what the naming conventions will be like for this MMO, to be honest. I'm hoping there will be severe restrictions, up to and including the inability to name your character "Darth" anything, as well as forbidding the use of numbers or irregular capitalisation (hopefully eliminating the ability to use "leet speak" names), famous/recurring names from the franchise itself (ie Skywalker, Solo, Katarn, etc.), and so forth. People should be forced to select realistic, individual names. Dumbing down the naming conventions to target the pre-teen dumbass demographic will only serve to alienate those of us who's faith in MMOs was shattered by the likes of Runescape. -_-
 Jeff
12-02-2008, 2:21 PM
I think there will definitely be some restrictions like you said Doc, such as only the first letter of your name can be caps, no numbers, and no famous names like in SWG.
 Astor
12-02-2008, 2:36 PM
I think that Darth will be restricted to NPCs only, or at least it should be. 'Darth' is supposedly a short version of Dark Lord of the Sith - which is why there's only ever a few at a time.

I don't want to see hundreds of 'Darths' running around. It'd get real old real fast.
 Miltiades
12-02-2008, 4:47 PM
Story-wise: Either the Emperor alone or nobody at all, I think. The Sith of old didn't use the Darth title (see Marka Ragnos, Naga Sadow, Ludo Kressh, Simus, etc.), so if the Emperor continues the old tradition, he won't be using it.

Gameplay-wise: I hope no player can use the title in his name. Wouldn't make sense story-wise, I think.
 TKA-001
12-02-2008, 5:25 PM
I'd be surprised to see the Darth title in this game at all. These Sith apparently descended from the original Sith Empire which predates the title, so I think it would make sense for it to not appear in the game.

As for players being able to get the Darth title... I don't think there's any chance of LA/Bioware letting players become Darths, for the simple fact that there's no chance even 1% of said hypothetical Darth candidates would think of decent names.
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-02-2008, 6:12 PM
I'd be surprised to see the Darth title in this game at all. These Sith apparently descended from the original Sith Empire which predates the title, so I think it would make sense for it to not appear in the game.
On the other side it wouldn't be the first time they (Bioware) would sacrifice the "realistic" for the fun factor, story and gameplay-wise.
 Ztalker
12-03-2008, 8:27 AM
Why not link an in-game achievement too it?
WoW has severak epically difficult achievements which earn you a title like Leroy* in front of your name. But you can also score 'Keeper of An'Qarai.'**

*=A fun title. Leroy has a famous video on the net in which he deliberately ruins a raid by releasing 50+ dragons from their eggs instead of focussing on the main boss. You get the tile if, yes, you kill all the dragons in that room. Which is easily done if you plan it.

**=World event. The whole sever was making equipment, delivering it too the warmasters before this dungeon opened. Horde and Alliance united. Eventually, one player was chosen to create the Scepter of An'Qarai and remove the seal in an epic NPC and Player fought battle.

So. How to claim the Darth title.
The first will make sure there will be about 20% of the people running around with it.
The second example will only have 3 or 4 Darth's running around, with each world event opening.

So....many Darths of almost no Darths at all?
And how about the Jedi Master title?
 Darth Kraze
12-04-2008, 6:17 PM
Darth Sion? Darth Traya? Darth Malak, Darth Nihilus, Darth Revan?

I don't see the title being out of place at all, you shouldn't get it soon as you start as a sith but through some difficult tasks it should be attainable.
 SW01
12-04-2008, 6:26 PM
Darth Sion? Darth Traya? Darth Malak, Darth Nihilus, Darth Revan?

I don't see the title being out of place at all, you shouldn't get it soon as you start as a sith but through some difficult tasks it should be attainable.

It'ss not out of place per se, but that shows how it seems mainly to be reserved for the Dark Lord (or the Triumvirs) and their Apprentice. We already know that there is a Dark Lord, and presumably there will be an apprentice.

And any quest in a game, no matter how difficult, can eventually be surmounted, whether by planning, co-operation, or consulting a walkthrough. It wouldn't necessarily prevent servers being clogged with several thousand 'Darths'. I think it should be kept for the Dark Lord and Apprentice, personally, a shame though it is. It would be nice to earn the title, but seeing everyone else with it at one time or another would ruin it a little...
 Jeff
12-04-2008, 6:48 PM
Well the Sith are ruled by the emperor along with his Sith Council (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/gameinfo/sith-lords/), so maybe instead of one apprentice they will all be 'darths', or maybe there will be an apprentice along with the council, or a member of the council.
 wasa7
12-15-2008, 7:11 AM
Ok, I agree with most of you about titles and names for TOR. I will for sure get bored being surrounded by countless Darths or Masters during the game. I totally agree that titles, such as Jedi Knight, Master, Grand Master, Sith Lord, Darth, etc., are given under a game achievement basis. Only a low percentage of total gamers running around will have a title, which is also not so crazy or unreallistic.

Remember that Old Republic times were different than what we know so far. There were many Jedi and Sith, even two Jedi Councils at the same time (Coruscant and Dantooine). I am ok with a population of maybe a hundred Jedi Masters and a hundred Dark Lords at the same time, and thousands of low level ranking Jedi and Sith.

Regarding names, even I know this will be really difficult to achieve, I also hope Bioware can control and restrict character naming during character creation, not only forbidding the use of famous names but also common names. I think I will drop my character and close my account if I ever God-forbid-it run into some Jedi Master John or Darth Jessica.
 Zakalwe
12-21-2008, 1:59 PM
I don't want to see hundreds of 'Darths' running around. It'd get real old real fast.

Darth Noob
Darth Awesome
Darth whatever

I seriously hope they restrict it's usage.
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
12-21-2008, 7:28 PM
i'm hoping that the darth title will be unattainable, or near-unattainable.
imo only the emperor and his apprentice (if he has one) should have it. or, being from the old sith lineage, the emperor doesnt have it.
 Hayden Kered
12-21-2008, 8:29 PM
If anything the title should only be given with a pre-chosen name. Like when you receive the title you will also receive a name to go with it, thus preventing names like Darth Coolio!

But in my personal opinion I think that the title should only be given at the very end if the player chooses 'Sith' and if the story line allows the player to defeat the Emperor.
 Blix
12-22-2008, 11:42 AM
If anything the title should only be given with a pre-chosen name. Like when you receive the title you will also receive a name to go with it, thus preventing names like Darth Coolio!

I know many MMO-types who would purchase the game purely for that option :)

(Unfortunately I can't count myself)
 Zakalwe
12-22-2008, 11:51 AM
if the player chooses 'Sith' and if the story line allows the player to defeat the Emperor.

It must! Isn't that the goal of any Sith? To become the master?
 Iron Rose
12-22-2008, 1:18 PM
The first time I see a Darth Skillz, I'm quitting. I don't think players should acheive the "Darth" title because there is way to high of a chance that the titel would be abused and become an annoyance.
 knight 12167
12-23-2008, 3:30 AM
Darth should be part of the classing system.If you are a powerful sith Darth is a class
same with Jedi Master,Knight ecetera.
This means you can be darth without it being in your name!!!
 Tommycat
12-25-2008, 1:16 AM
Honestly the Darth title being restricted doesn't worry me as much as restricting the Master title. I'm sure some jedi will be named "Baiter" just for the eventuality he will get that title.
 adamqd
12-25-2008, 5:13 AM
I Think the title should relate to your skills, as said before, and Master and Lord (rather than Darth) should be a quest you must undertake separately after maxing character, solo, like some kind of trials, which should also be implemented for Knight status earlier on in your progression. Thats one thing that sucks about Galaxies, the titles dont fit right, you dont get the title Jedi apprentice until your nearly maxed, and you get Jedi master title automatically at level 90, but in fact at level 90 your game starts, and your quest to get all the clothing, jewelry and buffs to make you worthy of that title has only just begun
 DAWUSS
12-25-2008, 4:57 PM
I don't think players should have the title of "Darth", or it's million variants, such as D'arth, D''arth, Darrth, Ddaarrtthh, Dar'th, etc....

Of course, you're probably going to have a bunch of people claiming to be the son of Revan, Anakin's (however many greats) grandfather, or to one up that, Ann'i'kin Skyyyyyywalk'er (followed by an even worse backstory that makes flow-walking sound like a novel idea), making the concerns of "Darth" an insignifcant issue.
 Zerimar Nyliram
12-25-2008, 10:01 PM
I hope this game doesn't use it because: a. this group of Sith is an extension of the remnants of the Old Sith Empire, which had nothing to do with Revan's empire and where the title did not exist, and 2. the title, while pretty cool for a while, is now becoming extremely redundant and worn thin. Although I hate Kevin J. Anderson's work, looking back now, there's something extremely cool about having these Sith characters who carry their birth names and lack the Darth title. It was cool, but now it's getting stupid. Give us something new (or revive something old in order to alleviate this now-dull trend).

Though I totally expect them to cave and calls all of their Sith Darths to appease the fanboys. I've already talked about how let down I was by what they have revealed the "true Sith" to be in the other thread: basically no different whatsoever from any other Sith we have known up till now, so I'm not expecting any noble deviations to make things interesting in a non-fanboy way.
 Fredi
12-25-2008, 10:36 PM
I think they will not use the title, instead they will do like on Kotor 2, turn into Sith Lord or Jedi Master.
 Zerimar Nyliram
12-27-2008, 8:57 PM
But just to be clear: are we talking about the player when he or she falls to the dark side and joins the Sith, or are we talking about the Sith antagonists? Or both? Because I was addressing the latter in my post above.

But I'd rather not see it for the player, either, for the same reasons: you are joining a Sith group that is not in any way connected to the Darth title, which came about from a different group (namely Revan and his followers).
 DAWUSS
12-28-2008, 8:29 AM
Darth Noob
Darth Awesome
Darth whatever

I seriously hope they restrict it's usage.

I could tolerate Darth Hawt on a good day
 LordSerion
12-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Hmmm... I think all Lords will bear the Darth title, but only the leader will be the Dark Lord of the Sith, the supreme ruler of the Order. Yeah, I think if you reach the level of it, you should get it, and Master on the Light side.

Darth Mother-in-law sounds funny I think. But I think I'm gonna stick with my name: Darth Serion.
 adamqd
12-28-2008, 3:09 PM
Like Zerimar said, they shouldn't have the Darth Title for said reasons, but they probably will to avoid non chronology follower confusion, and wrap it in a nice easy casual fan package... I hope not but chances are
 Rev7
12-28-2008, 4:11 PM
People would abuse it way too much. Not every one can be a Darth
 Litofsky
12-28-2008, 6:37 PM
Maybe, perhaps, the Darth title might be reserved for the few players that meet specific requirements, i.e., completing certain missions, being strong in the Dark Side, etc.
 Ctrl Alt Del
12-28-2008, 7:37 PM
^ And what if the Darth title existed BUT the moniker wasn't choseable? You'd have to pick one from a list of decent games the game would randomly offer you. Kinda like the name generator works.
 SW01
12-29-2008, 4:30 AM
Maybe, perhaps, the Darth title might be reserved for the few players that meet specific requirements, i.e., completing certain missions, being strong in the Dark Side, etc.

Perhaps a particularly lengthy and challenging quest? Something that is so hard that it keeps away the casual timewaster known as 'Ibedapwnzor' or 'tehn00b', and will be finished only by the more able players, and long in equal measure.

And yes, I do think that it should be incredibly hard to complete such a quest. Just another way of limiting the tide of Dark Lords.
 The_Catto
01-12-2009, 8:12 AM
In this I'm thinking of the Rule of Two.
It should only be the Emporer and Apprentice that can have the Darth title, as other's have already said.

They are the leaders, and only they should be allowed to have that title.
If you are with the Sith faction then you're just a servant and not worthy of that title unless you are chosen to be the nex apprentice. And in this case, seeing as though its a game, that's not likely to happen, so I think that would be a fairly good idea.

You can have restrictions like certain requirements needed, but in given time, there will be hundreds of Darth's running around because everyone will want to get those requirements.

As I said: Rule of Two. Only the two involved should be allowed to have that title.
 adamqd
01-12-2009, 8:52 AM
The Rule of two is a much later concept ie: Darth Bane invented it, but it isn't a bad idea to stop the million Darth's running round :)
 Zerimar Nyliram
01-12-2009, 4:11 PM
Yeah, what's the matter with you people? You're slacking in your knowledge of Star Wars lore. ;)
 The_Catto
01-12-2009, 5:42 PM
Actually it was around long before Darth Bane. He only brought it back into Sith Legacy.
Read Path of Destruction and Rule of Two, then you will know :D

Revan implemented it with Malak. I'm not sure how many used it before Revan however.
 GeneralPloKoon
01-12-2009, 6:08 PM
I hope the Darth title isn't usable by the player characters, then it will be abused...
 Zerimar Nyliram
01-12-2009, 8:47 PM
Actually, there are indications that it existed even before Revan and Malak, back into the Old Sith Empire. They constantly talking about it in the KOTOR comics.

Well, I guess I just undid everything I said earlier. :(
 The_Catto
01-12-2009, 9:03 PM
Yeah, I had a feeling it was used before Revan and Malak I just didn't know how long before. just reinforces my point some what ... Its been there for that long. It would be stupid not to implement that into the game, imo.
 True_Avery
01-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Considering this is an army of Sith...

High ranking or very skilled Sith like, say, the player, probably deserve the Darth title.

Dark Lord of the Sith is really the only title that is reserved. Darth, in the large armies, just seems to be a title for an accomplished Sith.

I mean, the Jedi are going to want to be called Jedi Knights, am I right? Darth is basically the equivalent of Knight for the Sith.

So don't get your panties in a bunch over titles. Remember, Sith are one of apparently many classes available. Even if they have a Darth title, I'll still be shooting them down with my Bounty Hunter anyway.
 adamqd
01-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Even if they have a Darth title, I'll still be shooting them down with my Bounty Hunter anyway. we'll see :p
 Zerimar Nyliram
01-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I had a feeling it was used before Revan and Malak I just didn't know how long before. just reinforces my point some what ... Its been there for that long. It would be stupid not to implement that into the game, imo.

Well, going back to what I said about the title having been used to death, and how the idea of having Sith with non-Darth names might feel fresh and interesting again, I sincerely hope it's kept to a minimum.
 adamqd
01-14-2009, 6:57 AM
Read Path of Destruction and Rule of Two

I couldn't get through the first 2 pages, I love Drew K for kotOR, but Darth Bane and surrounding New Sith War's, AOTC Palpatine statement retcon was CRAP, so I have little knowledge on him... so not a good Idea to correct people on stuff I dont actually like hehe. touche :)

Well, I guess I just undid everything I said earlier. :(
No, things just get retconned :)

Don't you think it kinda makes Bane's Legacy moot? if everything we thought he the visionary had devised, was now just taken from someone else's Holocron?
 adamqd
01-14-2009, 2:08 PM
I see you want to have everyone use Darth and have a netspeak name, but what has my post got to do with it Quendos? I mean Quanon
 GeneralPloKoon
01-14-2009, 5:21 PM
The Darth should be earned....or another Darth should be able to issue it to you.
 Darca Lar
01-15-2009, 2:38 AM
Since there is going to be a large Empire of the Sith, and possibly several Sith Lords, what do you think will happen to the Darth Title?

Will it be used by the Emperor only?

Will just a few (preferably the ones on the Dark Council) have them?

Does any one else have an idea?

I'm not sure if its been clearified or not and I don't feel like cross-checking it, but I suspect that it could be around this time that the Sith title is no longer used until Bane rises and establishes the rule of two.
Page: 1 of 1