Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why 'MMO'?

Page: 1 of 1
 JekRendar
11-28-2008, 3:19 AM
Why's this forum called 'The Old Republic MMO'? Shouldn't the 'MMO' be nixed considering it's redundant? The 'Galaxies' Forum isn't 'Galaxies MMO'.

Not trying to be a pain, just pointing out this inconsistency. Apologies if it's been brought up before.
 Tommycat
11-28-2008, 4:05 AM
I think it's to differentiate it from the KotOR forum. Not to mention that The Old Republic is the title, but also an era.
 Rev7
11-28-2008, 4:25 AM
Yeah, I think that it is just for clarification.
 JawaJoey
11-30-2008, 4:19 AM
I don't think the forum is named after the actual title. It's just a descriptor for "MMO that takes place in the old republic." (I could be wrong though)

It just so happens that the game is actually called: The Old Republic. I'm not sure why the forum isn't just called that.
 True_Avery
11-30-2008, 7:33 PM
Its still early in the game. We don't even have the sections here named yet.

But soon. Soon...
 Zakalwe
12-21-2008, 2:01 PM
Section should be called SWTOR. Which seems to be the acronym everyone has adopted.
 TheRogueForums
12-23-2008, 1:59 AM
What's the difference? It's the name of a sub-forum for crying out loud. In time, it will be given a proper name, perhaps, by those in charge. Until then, I think it's a perfect title- let's newcomers know exactly what it is about.
 adamqd
03-02-2009, 5:13 AM
Section should be called SWTOR. Which seems to be the acronym everyone has adopted.

But that wouldn't be fair on me as I have adopted the acronym tOR :p
 Darth_Sasuna
03-31-2010, 5:23 PM
why is it a mmo this time not a regular rpg like kotor 1 and 2 why did they go with that? becuase with an mmo you have to pay monthly fees not everyone can do that.
 Darth_ax
11-29-2010, 7:36 AM
why is it a mmo this time not a regular rpg like kotor 1 and 2 why did they go with that? becuase with an mmo you have to pay monthly fees not everyone can do that.

A subscription MMO is great...and I hope this one kicks WoWs butt. I've been a fan of SWG and played for many years.
You can pay for a FULL year or a month or two. And the kiddies can ask their moms to buy a monthly subscription card at the store for them :thmbup1:

MMO is different in that you also interact with other players. As well, there is newly added content/upgrades. The game is constantly always under development.....
Sometimes, there is even dynamic game play, meaning game staff play a live character at selected/specific times. MMO's grow and MMO's typically last a good number of years.....unlike a gm where you can finish in several days.
 Alexrd
11-29-2010, 9:36 AM
A subscription MMO is great...

Until the game dies, the servers shut down, and you won't be able to play the game for the rest of your life.
 Darth_ax
12-01-2010, 9:24 PM
Until the game dies, the servers shut down, and you won't be able to play the game for the rest of your life.

Most standalone/non-mmo games can be completed in 48 hours....lol then you toss it aside. By the time you're interested in playing it again you can't as it doesn't work on your new operating system.

Not to mention.....you have to wait....sometimes years for the next version of the game.....if it even comes out.

I played SWG for 4 (let me spell that, four...four years).....and many played it even longer. I'm sure, it's the same for WoW as well. It's not the rest of my life...but that's a pretty darn good run compared to any non-mmo game.

An mmo sets the game apart from other types of games. You're in the group...so to say.
 Alexrd
12-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Most standalone/non-mmo games can be completed in 48 hours....lol then you toss it aside. By the time you're interested in playing it again you can't as it doesn't work on your new operating system.

Speak for yourself.

Not to mention.....you have to wait....sometimes years for the next version of the game.....if it even comes out.

Next version?
 Prime
12-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Speak for yourself.Indeed. I still play KOTOR/TSL, JO, and X-Wing Alliance years after I first did. Good games are never tossed aside!
 Alexrd
12-02-2010, 3:37 PM
Indeed. I still play KOTOR/TSL, JO, and X-Wing Alliance years after I first did. Good games are never tossed aside!

This. And as an example, those games (and many others) can be played with the newest OS.
 Microdotts
04-23-2011, 7:29 AM
KOTOR wasn't an MMO, so some people may not know the difference.
Page: 1 of 1