Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

DOSBOX 0.72 With Tie Fighter DOS Collectors CD

Page: 1 of 1
 gmarti01
11-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi everyone. I've been running TF Collectors CD using VDMSound v2 with joystick support, however, as people have been saying its too slow to be playable (i got tired of it after 3 missions). I've seen elsewhere though that some people have used DOSBOX 0.72 to run the game with much better success in terms of speed (i.e you can apparently hit ctrl+F12 I believe and it 'speeds the game up')

So I would like to try using DOSBOX; I have the game installed and IMUSE all set up, but when I mount the C:\TIECD (where I have the game installed) and then run TIE it just brings me to the installer menu and not the game itself. I havent exactly seen a detalied procedure how to install this using DOSBOX instead of VDMSound, so therefore does anyone have a suggestion ?

Specs Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ with 256 MB RAM and a 3D graphics card. Thanks!
 Samnmax221
11-23-2008, 2:31 PM
To start off with you don't really have enough ram for emulation, you should buy more if possible. I'd suggest you use a DOSBox frontend as it simplifies everything, I'm not sure what Windows frontend is the best, I use Boxer (http://boxer.washboardabs.net/) on my Mac (Got it running smoothly, just don't have Joystick working yet), so look through This list (http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1) under tools, until you find something suitable to use.
 gmarti01
11-24-2008, 5:38 PM
Well actually I have a 2nd computer here that has double the RAM, but when I load the game disc the screen goes black. I've seen a couple people with the same problem but not really a common solution ? Do you or anyone know of any ?
 Samnmax221
11-24-2008, 6:46 PM
Its probably trying to load itself in either XP or Vista. Just hold shift to stop autoplay.
 gmarti01
11-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Ok but disabling the autoplay still means I have to run the install program which is what causes the crash (unless you mean run the install program from DOSBOX)
 Samnmax221
11-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Running the install program through Dosbox will likely prevent the crash. You're probably getting something along the lines of "Buffer Overflow".
 gmarti01
11-25-2008, 12:00 PM
You know what - i am considering buying this here to solve all my problems ? If i get this do you know if i will need to run any emulation ?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-X-Wing-Trilogy-Pc/dp/B000050I88/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1227632081&sr=8-1)
 Samnmax221
11-25-2008, 1:28 PM
Possibly. It may have problems on your newer hardware.
 gmarti01
11-25-2008, 1:57 PM
First off thanks for taking time to answer my questions ! I appreciate it.

Isn't that version I supplied specified for running out of a Windows environment ?
 Samnmax221
11-25-2008, 7:36 PM
Yeah, sometimes hardware can play a part, but this seems like it would be alright.
 Tyconderoga
03-24-2009, 11:14 PM
(Got it running smoothly, just don't have Joystick working yet),

I'm also having issues with getting my Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB to work properly with TIE Fighter Collectors CD. The steering control becomes all beserky and the original official tiecdjoy.exe fix doesn't cut it.
Other than that, the game does seem to run comfortably in the latest version of DosBox through XP.
 Grombolar
11-12-2009, 7:19 AM
The trick is - don't use the CD.

Copy all the game-related files from the CD to a folder on your harddrive, then mount this folder as a CD drive inside DOSBox - this will allow the game to access its data much faster and smoother. And you will avoid any possible interference from Autoplay.

If you've copied the files in, for example, E:\TIEFCD, (or any other folder of your choice) then you use this command in DOSBox:

"mount (drive letter of your choice) E:\TIEFCD -t cdrom"

The game will now recognize the folder E:\TIEFCD as its own original CD. All you have to do now is install... and you're ready to play :)

Of course, you will have to mount E:\TIEFCD as a CD every time you start DOSBox (when you exit, the mount is lost). The game won't run without it.

That's what I did - and the game runs very fast and smooth. Set core to "dynamic" and cycles to "auto" and you're ready to bring justice to those pesky Rebels!
 Darth Wesker
09-04-2010, 5:10 AM
Well I tried this but when I try to install it it says install unsuccessful. Any tips?
 gmarti01
09-08-2010, 8:18 AM
Hey Wesker, I actually went ahead and purchased X-Wing Trilogy on Amazon. It's pricey but no headaches with the installation at all. You lose the MIDI soundtrack (which I got over after a couple of missions) plus enhanced graphics. This would be my recomendation
 Darth Wesker
09-08-2010, 1:59 PM
Does that come with the TF disk?
 gmarti01
09-08-2010, 5:35 PM
Comes Tie Fighter Collector's CD-Rom (plus expansion packs), X-Wing Collector's CD-Rom (plus expansion packs) and X-Wing Alliance
 Darth Wesker
09-08-2010, 8:01 PM
Ok. How is the TF disk in that different than the TF Collectors CD and is it possible to get it to work with Win 7 with a USB joystick without getting killed?
 Wildstar
09-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Wesker, as gmarti mentioned, you lose the MIDI music (which you may not mind after a while) but it has all missions including the "Defender of the Empire" expansion (and, like the original DOS version, the expansion has the TIE Defender and Missile Boat). It may need tweaking (you'll definitely need Craig Perry's 3D fix found on LucasFiles.com, and you may also need "XWA Hacker," found on the XWA Upgrade Project's forums), but, as it's a Windows game, it'll support any game controller Windows supports, including your USB stick. :)
 Darth Wesker
09-09-2010, 2:14 PM
Wildstar, sorry if I sound a bit wary of any fix for this game. As I said above I have been trying for years. I can actually run it right now with MDI music and sound effects. The only thing I cant do is to get my lovely brand new tie fighter to fly straight.
 wolveneagle77
01-09-2013, 5:51 PM
i cant even get it installed. everything else works fine xwing collectors alliance and xw vs tie
 wolveneagle77
01-09-2013, 5:53 PM
tried everything says i may need to look see if i have enough room
but i have plenty room plenty ram
Page: 1 of 1